PDA

View Full Version : 3.52 M33-4 to 3.71 M33 problem

PhatPSPFTW
June 16th, 2008, 00:59
Hi, I'm a noob at this kind of stuff, but I really want to upgrade to 3.71 M33. I follow all of the directions, but when I try to run the update on my PSP (fat psp just if you want to know), then it just sits there for a few moments and turns off, without even starting the update. Now, I don't know what that means or how to fix it, but I was hoping one of you kind sirs could help me out? Please? :confused: Also, it just shuts off when I try to upgrade to any other version, like 3.80 M33 or 3.90 M33. :confused:

pspmodel1001
June 16th, 2008, 02:48
Is your kernal on 3.xx or 1.50. Check your recovery.

Eviltaco64
June 16th, 2008, 06:16
Hmm, I dont know what that would be

jamotto
June 16th, 2008, 07:10
I would recommend that you don't upgrade from 3.52 M33-4 to 3.71 M33 by just running the update, instead use Pandora + Despertar del Cementerio to do it.

PhatPSPFTW
June 16th, 2008, 23:22
Is your kernal on 3.xx or 1.50. Check your recovery.

Ok, I checked my recovery and it says that it is on 1.50 kernal. Uh, is that fine? :confused:

I would recommend that you don't upgrade from 3.52 M33-4 to 3.71 M33 by just running the update, instead use Pandora + Despertar del Cementerio to do it.

Must I really do this? I barely even understand how to upgrade to a custom firmware, let alone making a pandora!

jamotto
June 17th, 2008, 02:31
Must I really do this? I barely even understand how to upgrade to a custom firmware, let alone making a Pandora!

I realize it might be daunting, but I myself tried to go from 3.52-4 M33 to 3.71 M33 the same way you are trying and all I got for my efforts was a bricked psp.

Try looking at this tutorial to help you make a pandora http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=77747

PhatPSPFTW
June 18th, 2008, 00:46
Ok, I'm going to go ahead and make a pandora, but since I only have 1 memory stick and 1 battery, I have a quick question that was not made clear in the tutorial that you gave me: Once I finish using the pandora's battery and magic memory stick to successfully upgrade my psp to 3.71 M33, then can I convert the pandora's battery and the magic memory stick back to their original purposes? I really need to know, because I might not be able to get my hands on another battery or memory stick.

jamotto
June 18th, 2008, 02:53
Once I finish using the pandora's battery and magic memory stick to successfully upgrade my psp to 3.71 M33, then can I convert the pandora's battery and the magic memory stick back to their original purposes? I really need to know, because I might not be able to get my hands on another battery or memory stick.

Yes, it can be converted back. When creating the battery on the menu will be an option to save the serial(eeprom) to the memorystick, after you have done the upgrade you would then flash the saved serial back. If you get a Warning: Error writing at address 0x14 while flashing the eeprom of the battery don't worry it is normal. One quirk though is after reverting the battery back to normal, before you shutdown the psp all the way, plug in the ac adapter and remove the battery from the psp. After you turn off completely the psp reinsert the battery.

You should also back up the psp's nand, as a just in case.

As for the memorystick you need to just reformat it using either the psp or a computer via usb.

Other thoughts, make sure you set aside ample time to do the whole process, this is something you don't want to be rushed. Should a problem arise don't turn off the psp, plug in the ac adapter if need be and come back and post here. I'll be on again Thursday if you have any questions.

On my Asian phat psp when I started the upgrade to 3.71 I had to do the blind install for reasons that are beyond me, however on an American phat psp it worked just fine.

After installing 3.71 M33 and the psp shuts down when you press the X button remove both the battery and the memorystick plug in the ac adapter and start up the psp you might get a BSOD which it prompts you to press O to restore.

I got Despertar del Cementerio form dax's website (the creator) here http://www.dark-alex.org/index_psp.php pick which version is right for you, each installs a different custom firmware. While you are there you can also pick up the 1.50 Kernel Addon if it applies to you and the patch for the firmware you are upgrading too (M33-X).

I hope this has answered all your questions.

pspmodel1001
June 18th, 2008, 04:47
Ok, I checked my recovery and it says that it is on 1.50 kernal. Uh, is that fine? :confused:

Yeah, but to update switch it to 3.52