PDA

View Full Version : Improve Mental Arithmetic PSP

andrewwan1980
June 26th, 2008, 16:35
How easy would it be to write a homebrew PSP "brain training" game? Maybe something to practice & improve mental arithmetic?

The X, O, [], ^ buttons can be 1, 2, 3, 4. L1, L2 can be 5, 6. LEFT, UP, DOWN, RIGHT can be 7, 8, 9, 0.

dangee
June 26th, 2008, 18:04
How easy would it be to write a homebrew PSP "brain training" game? Maybe something to practice & improve m..

assuming vanilla gfx and audio ,
it depends on the level of AI involved.

You'll need a clear idea of the gameplay and screen output you want.

I'm sure I've seen a few homebrews of this type.

andrewwan1980
June 26th, 2008, 18:49
That would be a good option too. But I was thinking of "speed maths calculations" so a timer would be implemented. Since one is being timed, then speed is of the essence and hence why near-instant input is required... rather than navigating through the onscreen pad.

Maths questions from 1 to many digits addition, multiplication, division, subtraction, etc.

Maybe this can be basis for brain training clone for DS... with "weights-comparision", etc. Have you played "Who has the biggest brain" on facebook.com?

dangee
June 26th, 2008, 21:31
ah , I see what you're thinking of - good idea .
The main technical challenge is to get big bright numbers and math symbols on screen. Using fonts can be tricky.

I'd recommend using Luaplayer with its built in timers.

Remember that a big part of getting any homebrew releasable is the EBOOT build

andrewwan1980
June 28th, 2008, 00:10
ah , I see what you're thinking of - good idea .
The main technical challenge is to get big bright numbers and math symbols on screen. Using fonts can be tricky.

I'd recommend using Luaplayer with its built in timers.

Remember that a big part of getting any homebrew releasable is the EBOOT build

For start, one could quickly whip up a text-based proof of concept brain training game.

Then add in the graphics and luaplayer for timers.

Yeah, I see it's a lot more work compared to normal windows/dos environment programming.

dangee
June 28th, 2008, 20:23
guess then that C++ and the toolchain is a better bet for you,
Forget the POC, the concept is sound, and well achievable.
All you should need to produce a "hello (2+5) world"
is a free evening, a PC and a visit here (http://www.psp-programming.com/tutorials/c/lesson01.htm)