PDA

View Full Version : Bricked PSP Slim, not sure where to start...

sDeez
June 28th, 2008, 02:43
OK, I just bought a bricked PSP Slim from eBay. Yes, I bought it knowing it was bricked (it was in the description so no surprises there), because I already have a Pandora battery and a Magic Memory Stick that I have successfully upgraded two PSP Slim's to CFW, and I figured that it shouldn't be a problem to unbrick it.

When I asked how the PSP was bricked, this was the response:

well I let my friend borrow the psp and when it was updating he took out the memory stick and mess it up...

So... here's where the issues are:

After inserting my Magic Memory stick, and then the Pandora battery, the power light flashes orange only briefly, and then nothing. Doesn't appear to be receiving any power after that initial brief flash of orange.

When the PSP is plugged in with no battery, I get a steady orange power light, and when the power switch is moved into the hold position, the light gets brighter, to the point where the hold light appears to be dimly lit (I'm assuming that this is light leaking from the power light).

The problems I'm having with the power means of course, that I can't begin the process of trying to unbrick the PSP.

Anyone have any insight or things I should check for? Am I going to have to open up the PSP to see if there's some hardware problem?

Thanks.

Qmark
June 28th, 2008, 02:55
I am going to guess the unit has been submerged in water, or had something spilled on it, and the PCB has corrosion damage.

sDeez
June 28th, 2008, 03:07
I'm hoping that's not the case. There doesn't appear to be any type of water damage, but that's just speculation on my part.

I just received a response to my question as to whether or not it was working prior to the failed firmware update, and was told this:

yeah the psp was working fine until I let my friend borrow it and he messed it up and this happend like a week ago

I really don't want to have to open it up, but it's starting to look like I might need to disassemble and start checking all the boards for anything loose or damaged, unless anyone can tell me some other things to check for.

Right now I'm awaiting an answer to my question as to what firmware was on there prior to failed update, and what firmware it was being upgraded to.

sDeez
June 28th, 2008, 13:04
Some additional info:

I know for certain that my MMS/Pandora battery works fine. I tested it in my working PSP and it's good.

When I put a regular battery in the broken PSP, the power light will be orange only for as long as I hold the switch (i.e. I slide the switch up to turn it on and hold it in that position). When the switch is released and returns to it's normal position, the light goes off. When the power switch is moved into the hold position, the power light becomes steady orange.

With the regular battery installed and the AC adapter plugged in, it acts in the same manner as when I have the AC adapter plugged in and the Pandora battery installed: steady orange light that gets slightly brighter when in the hold position.

I plan on opening it up this week... what things should I be checking for, and how would I go about verifying what works or doesn't?

Macflame
July 24th, 2008, 20:28
Did you ever find out what was wrong? I have a slim that is doing the same thing. Pandora will not start, switch to hold and the orange light appears. I also thought it would be an easy repair!