PDA

View Full Version : Do We Suffer From Too Many Games?

wraggster
June 30th, 2008, 01:14
Is the problem with gaming today that there's just too much out there — and not enough time? So posits Michael Zenke, who discusses why too many games could be a bad thing, and one reason it's increasingly hard to be a gamer. Too many AAA titles? Is such a thing possible? Well, when it means that a lot of people will never finish those AAA titles, maybe:

http://kotaku.com/5020610/do-we-suffer-from-too-many-games

Aryn
June 30th, 2008, 01:43
Too many games can only be a good thing. The human race is very diverse, and in order for everybody to be properly entertained we need as many options as we can get. The real problem (if it can be considered to be much of a problem at all) is the fact that people are much harder to please. I used to be content with an old Atari 2600 system, and now consider portable gaming systems to be inadequate in their current state despite having 3D games and the occasional game that is very innovative. I blame this on the fact that computer/gaming technology progressed so fast and is now reaching a point where progress is slower than it used to be.

masterchief929
June 30th, 2008, 01:49
too many video games is not plausible. too many bad ones? probably. too many good ones? absolutely not.

Shadowblind
June 30th, 2008, 01:54
For me yes. I have to rent each 360 game now, can't buy them. Even then I don't have enough money to rent all the ones I'd want to play. :(

AuroraKnight
June 30th, 2008, 02:51
Yes and no on this one. Yes because, with the prices being the way they are now, and the expensiveness of living, it's kinda tough and you end up having to choose one game over another but at the same time I say no cuz I mean, if there weren't enough games, everyone would be bored with their 100-400 dollar investment in a game system <_> Maybe even a lot higher for pc gamers

mike_jmg
June 30th, 2008, 03:22
too much out there?, too much garbage
And just to get a good one you need to get all the consoles out there, look through all the trash just to find around 10 good games

Just a few privileged ones get to do that, but most of us choose one of the consoles, the one we think will have the best games for our taste

So yes, we suffer from too many games, bad ones

F9zDark
June 30th, 2008, 04:19
Too many? What?!

First off, does it really matter if a person finishes a game? Sure I suppose to tell the story it does, but I am "hardcore casual" I'd call it; play a game hardcore for a few weeks then find something new. Rinse, repeat.

I often go back and finish these games later mind you (unless its GTA, I have never finished a single GTA game to date...) but nonetheless...

And besides, people only play the AAA titles that SUIT them or their desires; for instance, I could careless how great the next FF game is/will be, I can't stand sitting there "waiting" for my turn to attack (is life turn based? if only...)

My point is, having too many games, especially AAA ones, IS NOT A BAD THING. It gives players choices; to be quite honest, I'd be really pissed if we only had 1 or 2 AAA games to choose from, especially so if it was a genre I didn't like...

kcajblue
June 30th, 2008, 05:20
lol.

i can see what they mean.

there is soo many games to choose from.

and if you get them all, you dont have the time to play them all.

but too much being bad?

no, not possible.

osgeld
June 30th, 2008, 08:30
many many many big title blockbuster hits totally miss the point, sure they have ike turner, big bird, jay z and santa clause in them but after the 8 million actor budget the 13 million cgi budget ect ect you pop them in to find a bland game that really wasnt all that well thought out (cough ea)

newb_fo_life
June 30th, 2008, 11:22
I dont coz im to 1337 :p

jaws365
June 30th, 2008, 13:35
We suffer from too much information in general. Not that I would want anything else though.

ojdon
June 30th, 2008, 13:51
I don't really think that anyone could suffer from TOO much games, I mean all it would do is miss playing a few games and that it. I've always thought that there have always been more than enough games, but I wasn't expecting to play every single one.

Mc_Logical
June 30th, 2008, 14:28
Depends how much time u want to put into gaming, as for me I never watch any crap on tv, id says theres too much of that to choose from lol and allways the same old shite, I spend my time on the net download movies too and play ps3, so no there aren`t too many games, like I said depends on the person, and alot of ppl with ps3`s do spend alot of time on it, well ppl on my psn do, allways signed in

Iceman^2
June 30th, 2008, 16:42
I don't think I'll ever find the time to complete every game I own. I mostly just play my favorite games when I have the time. That isn't suffering though. I love being able to choose between tons of games. It's like a treasure hunt every time.

____anders____
June 30th, 2008, 16:58
too many bad games (most 3rd prty games are very bad:() and only a few good games.

a good game should be way longer than most of the games that they make now.

Mc_Logical
July 1st, 2008, 11:43
Yeah! they will in time if on blu ray disc they use up more of the memory

mcdougall57
July 1st, 2008, 12:42
I've got so many games I haven't played, but I just don't have the time.

HexenDarkside
July 2nd, 2008, 06:57
It balances out. Only about 20% of games are worth playing. Maybe 50% are based of of movies, or something like that (and believe, they are not worth playing.) Then you've got the 30 or so % that aren't based on movies, but aren't good. Simply put, for every Zelda there is 15-30 "Kung-Fu Panda: The Movie: The Game"s

R4mbo
July 2nd, 2008, 10:44
Too many games is not a problem,
too less time is the problem!