PDA

View Full Version : Hacker needed for ps2 game hack

Jakamo
July 2nd, 2008, 02:51
I am aiming to work on a project that uses a Playstation 2 game, but to acomplish this I will need the help of a hacker.

I am a film student and I am trying to minipulate a certain ps2 game in order to make a film with it. There are two things that I need tweaked in the game...

1. Freedom of camera
2. elimination of on-screen health bars etc

I don't know anything about programming but I would have thought that these two tasks were not as ambitious as say, playing around with the graphics themselves.

I won't mention the game yet but I was wondering if anyone believes that they would possibly be able help with this? Of course, there will be rewards for these favours. Please get in touch with anything that you think would help? Even if you think you would be able to help with just one of the tasks then that is a great start. Thanks and I hope to hear from anyone interested in contributing!

Zack
July 2nd, 2008, 02:56
*it might be able to be done*

2 big problems

1) No source code. So it would require hacking to be done. This makes it 99.9% harder than with source.

2) Huge job. you would need to find someone who not only knows programming but also who shares the interest with you. Going to be hard.

I wish you luck though :p

Edit : Couldn't #2 on your list be done using image/video manipulation software? Ie. Play the game on PCSX2, record it using fraps then edit the footage?

Jakamo
July 2nd, 2008, 04:04
Thank you for your reply! I concidered using borders to give the edit a cinematic feel like the actual cutscenes but it's just some incidences where the life bars really get in the way of some epic stuff. In fact, I'd probably be happy with just no on screen life bars because I can minipulate the camera fair bit already. I'm not sure how to go about your method though.

pibs
July 2nd, 2008, 06:14
You would need a top of the line pc to emulate PCSX2(even then it would still be sloppy). Your best bet is a modded ps2(to play the modified backup) hooked up to a capture card. As for freedom of camera, it sounds nearly impossible without source code sorry to say.

I don't know much about PS2 isos but im pretty sure you can mod them (ie. Guitar Hero custom songs) so if you play around with the iso and delete files here and there with trial and error you might get the health bars off. Or create dummy files kinda like in the psp isos to reduce their size you can remove the health bars and replace them with a smaller similar file (maybe a logo?)

This is just my assumption, hopefully a coder clears things up on this subject.