PDA

View Full Version : My 360 Broke (AGAIN)

Eviltaco64
July 2nd, 2008, 11:19
Well, some of you remember me being angry about my Xbox 360 not outputting video, well NOOOWWWW, in the middle of while I was playing a game, the screen starts changing colors and shit, and I turn it off to see if it's an A/V cable problem.

So, I turn it back on, and all I see is a black screen again...

This is bullshit, my friends.

And what's even worse is that I was just getting into my 360 again (I was about to send requests to ExcruciationX and Shadowblind).

And what's the worst of all is that it's not the RRoD!
My Xbox is so reliable that it had to break some other way!

I'm going to mess around with it and see what I can do. If I cant get it to work, I cant even wrap it up in blankets (it'll get the RRoD but cool down), it's ****ing indestructible!

This really pisses me off, though.
Im wondering if I should just sell it off and get a PS3 or get a lot of last-gen modding equipment and games. But I really dont want to :(

Darksaviour69
July 2nd, 2008, 12:03
its weird that you got the same , non common problem. Could it be something to do with the setup, is the av cable near a heater or something? have you tried it with a different tv? when you turn on the xbox does it sound like its working and its just not outputting the signal?

If you unplug the av cable from the back of the xbox, you will get 3 red lights, so that would suggest that its the other end of the cable (connected to the tv). Can you borrow an xbox av cable from a friend to see if its just the cable that broken.

don't forget you have warranty

Eviltaco64
July 2nd, 2008, 12:39
Thanks for the suggestions Darksaviour :)

The setup is in my basement, but it began to get these errors while it was with my sisters, but even then it wasnt around anything hot.

As for trying the Xbox out on other TVs, I asked my friend to do that, and it didnt work before...I might as well try again.

As for warranty, I called Xbox support, and, after waiting for 5-10 minutes, they eventually told me that my Xbox had been out of warranty since Decembet 07, and that the three-year warranty is only for the RRoD...If I send it in to them to fix it, it'll cost me $100 + shipping (which I could do a lot more with, or buy another 360 board).

Darksaviour69
July 2nd, 2008, 12:53
try and check the lead first before you do anything, just bring your lead to a friends house (who has an xbox) and test it on his tv.

if its a just the lead you can get a cheap 3rd party on eg
http://www.play-asia.com/SOap-23-83-50ep-71-de-49-en-84-j-70-15x2.html

$6+ shipping

M Dash
July 2nd, 2008, 13:08
THat's the beginning of the RRoD.

check if gives sound or anything.

My 360 had the same problem.

started to do that, after a while of being off, it would work again.

after a few days, the RRoD appeared.

Found the solution on a brasilian forum.

THe problem is that the RAM chips start to fall off the board (because of the poor soldering of the board).

THe solution to me was put some rubber calcs on it (to make pressure between the board and the ram memory chips.).

Never had problems again.

Triv1um
July 2nd, 2008, 13:48
Unlucky mate.

You should consider a PS3, its a good system. But it sounds like you dont want to, so get your 360 repaired.

You could force the RRoD to get it repaired for free.

Zack
July 2nd, 2008, 14:29
Unlucky mate.

You could force the RRoD to get it repaired for free.

Heh, that's what I was thinking too :p

Eviltaco64
July 2nd, 2008, 15:20
I'd consider a PS3, overall it's better than 360 in my opinion, but most of my friends have 360, and live is rather fun.

I think I've decided to do this, either fix the board myself, mod the hell out of it since I cant send it in anymore, and sell it off for a lot of money, or just repair/mod and keep it. I've seen regular modded 360s go for $500+

Eviltaco64
July 2nd, 2008, 15:22

THe problem is that the RAM chips start to fall off the board (because of the poor soldering of the board).

THe solution to me was put some rubber calcs on it (to make pressure between the board and the ram memory chips.).

That sounds like it might work :thumbup:

M Dash
July 2nd, 2008, 16:12
That sounds like it might work :thumbup:

search the web with google.

I don't have the address of the site/forum here (@work) but it was brasilian. If you understand portuguese, you'll be fine, or ele, try to search for the same fix in english.

pibs
July 2nd, 2008, 19:50
Use this its easy to understand and has good snapshots
http://www.instructables.com/id/Fix-the-Red-Ring-of-Deathwithout-towels/

Shadowblind
July 2nd, 2008, 20:11

Same here, and my brother.

Eviltaco64
July 3rd, 2008, 02:34
I saw something on some forum from South Africa...apparently you get tape and erasers and just keep them there for around 20 minutes. Then let it cool off for 2 minutes. Is this true?

M Dash
July 3rd, 2008, 16:31
I saw something on some forum from South Africa...apparently you get tape and erasers and just keep them there for around 20 minutes. Then let it cool off for 2 minutes. Is this true?

If that's about the rubber calcs, no.

You get some erasers that u use at school, cut them into pieces (2 for each memory) and glue them to the memories.

The size of the calcs must be made CAREFULLY so you don't overpressure the board and don't make the calcs off the memories (they must be really centered with the memories)..

I had to do the trick twice, the last one OK.

The first time i did, it turned out OK, but the pressure destroid the calcs, so they got off the place and the memories lost the pressure.

Instead of making 1 calc per memory, i found that the making 2 calcs per memory, but smaller (instead of 1 centered, you get 2, 1 for each border of the memory, since it's in the borders that they are soldered) works way better. At least until now.

splodger15
July 3rd, 2008, 16:42
Buy a PS3 much less troublesome ;).

But still if this is the second time you want to start having a good old rant at M$

Eviltaco64
July 4th, 2008, 02:08
Buy a PS3 much less troublesome ;).

But still if this is the second time you want to start having a good old rant at M$

I've been considering a PS3, or maybe a PSP and maybe Gamecube and PS2 modchips :)

M Dash
July 4th, 2008, 09:55
PS3 is not a good option.

I have myself 2 PSPs (1 phat and 1 slim)
1 PS2 (phat) chipped
around 4 Dreamcasts...
1 gamecube
... anyways, the point is, PS3 not a good option.

the 360 is way better than the PS3. Even the games run better on it.

THe only problem is really the hardware failures the old models (and sometimes new models) give.

Still, for me, it's a good option despite that.

I mean... nothing is perfect in life XD so... LOL

Triv1um
July 4th, 2008, 10:18
... anyways, the point is, PS3 not a good option.

the 360 is way better than the PS3. Even the games run better on it.

Typical fanboy-ism.

Don't judge a console you don't own.

Having owned a ps3, wii and Xbox 360 at once. I can tell you overall the ps3 is the better machine.

Its the only next-gen console I still own.

While you might like the 360 (I did aswell) not make blind biased claims.

Darksaviour69
July 4th, 2008, 10:21
just to nip it in the bud, lets not have a ps3 vs xbox 360 fanboy war here. Eviltaco64 is a big boy and knows the pro's and cons of each console.

360 FTW ;)

Eviltaco64
July 4th, 2008, 10:25
just to nip it in the bud, lets not have a ps3 vs xbox 360 fanboy war here. Eviltaco64 is a big boy and knows the pro's and cons of each console.

360 FTW ;)

360 PROS:
TEH HOT CHIKS PLAY TEH GAMES

PS3 PROS:
NUN CUZ IT SUX!!1!one

But seriously, I like them equally, but the PS3 can do the most, 360 has the best online (and Halo III: Combat evolves for the third time), and Wii has Brawl and the Homebrew Channel.

Darksaviour69
July 4th, 2008, 10:29
If you do try and fix it, why don't you take a few pics while you do it and write a tutorial, and post it on the site

Eviltaco64
July 4th, 2008, 10:31
If you do try and fix it, why don't you take a few pics while you do it and write a tutorial, and post it on the site

Will try, first I have to find a torx-10 screwdriver :)
I literally had the 360 down to the case with only the top plastic part on, then I found out that 360 uses torx instead of phillips :(
Once I do find a torx, however, I might also make an original Xbox tutorial as well, as I have 2 and my main one (which is softmodded) has a broken DVD rom.

pibs
July 4th, 2008, 10:43
dude are u checking out the site (http://www.instructables.com/id/Fix-the-Red-Ring-of-Deathwithout-towels/) i posted here?

it has one of the best guides seriously it helped me fix 2 RROD 360s

heres all I needed for the fix (not including tools)
===================
4 5x20MM Panhead Machine Screws (Keep length between 20 and 40 MM)
4 5x15MM Panhead Machine Screw (Must be no longer than 15MM!)
44 #10 Washers
===================

And for your English measurements
4 3/16" x 1" Panhead Machine Screws
4 3/16" x 1/2" Panhead Machine Screws
44 #10 Washers

It cost me about 10 bucks at my local hardware store for the supplies.

While ur at it you can install a new fan, I installed a talismoon one cuz i digg the blue colored fan and it looks great with a clear case.

Eviltaco64
July 4th, 2008, 12:49
dude are u checking out the site (http://www.instructables.com/id/Fix-the-Red-Ring-of-Deathwithout-towels/) i posted here?

it has one of the best guides seriously it helped me fix 2 RROD 360s

heres all I needed for the fix (not including tools)
===================
4 5x20MM Panhead Machine Screws (Keep length between 20 and 40 MM)
4 5x15MM Panhead Machine Screw (Must be no longer than 15MM!)
44 #10 Washers
===================

And for your English measurements
4 3/16" x 1" Panhead Machine Screws
4 3/16" x 1/2" Panhead Machine Screws
44 #10 Washers

It cost me about 10 bucks at my local hardware store for the supplies.

While ur at it you can install a new fan, I installed a talismoon one cuz i digg the blue colored fan and it looks great with a clear case.

I was considering getting an ocean blue see through case and the green fan, the fan will match the front LED and overall, it'll look awesome :)

Eviltaco64
July 11th, 2008, 22:48
Ok, I have everything now.
How do I do this?
Should I glue the erasers to the chips and put it back in its case?

dcdood
July 12th, 2008, 06:47
Me and my brother share the 360, We're on our 3rd one (due to Microsoft) :P. I'm not one to open up my game consoles but i has anyone tried the blowdryer trick? i seen it on youtube, You open the 360 and remove drives and other stuff, take the board from the case, and use a blow drier or something that can produce heat like that, as long as you keep it at an equal distance, it shouldn't hurt.

Eviltaco64
July 12th, 2008, 19:00
Ok, an update.
I followed the eraser fix multiple times with different erasers and everything...no luck.
I still get sound however, and now I've found out that heat actually fixes the video.

I remember the last time my 360 broke, people told me to wrap it up in a towel until it got the rrod. Well, I eventually gave up, and hooked it back up, and it worked. I also read on many sites that this has worked for others as well.

So Im going to do all that, and get back to you.

UPDATE: My Xbox 360 is running 100% again.
I sent requests to a few people.