PDA

View Full Version : Professor Noel Gallagher gives lecture on game violence

wraggster
July 4th, 2008, 22:26
Rock star and noted media violence expert Noel Gallagher used a recent public appearance to speak out against the influence of violent video games, according to the BBC. While accepting an award at London's Silver Clef Music Awards, Professor Emeritus Gallagher mentioned games as one possible cause for the prevalence of youth-oriented knife violence throughout England.

"People say it's through violent video games and I guess that's got something to do with it," said Gallagher, whose wide-ranging, cross-cultural sociological studies on the relationship between media exposure and real-world violence have changed the way we all look at this complex problem. "If kids are sitting up all night smoking super skunk [cannabis] and they come so desensitised [sic] to crime because they're playing these video games, it's really, really scary," he added while adjusting the Amalfi Prize hanging around his neck.

Gallagher is the best-selling author of Burning the Razor's Edge: How Super-Skunk Smoking and Our Knife-Obsessed Media Landscape are Turning Our Kids to Crime.

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/07/04/professor-noel-gallagher-gives-lecture-on-game-violence/

Mc_Logical
July 4th, 2008, 22:59
Come on man wtf? people been using knives way before video games, smoking weed, schizophrenic symptoms, u can`t blame shit on video games, ok maybe some individuals will like to copy games, but they will just aswell from a movie which has been around longer and more GRAPHIC so come on don`t talk shit for the media, its people like this that have their finger up their ass that take away fun lol I mean shit we wan`t good effects in video games, like i said its up to the individual, I don`t think video games effect that much, and if sum1 does commit a crime, its easy to blame video games uh!, but w/e their like its enhanced within them selves, and playing video games they just thrive from it, and knife obsessed? its been around for years, theres a difference between obsessed and using a knife, but then I hear u say "but they might use it" yeah!? reality is different than a video game, infact id like to stab all u media twats right now lol

dejkirkby
July 5th, 2008, 00:02
Why jump on his back?
He is expressing his opinion, just like everybody else is entitled to!

Airdevil
July 5th, 2008, 10:59
Why should we care what a member of Oasis says?

lol .... im sorry someone was bound to bring it up sometime.

Mc_Logical
July 5th, 2008, 13:07
Why should we care what a member of Oasis says?

lol .... im sorry someone was bound to bring it up sometime.

Well because hes caught the media attention, which could effect games being less violent, but theres too much money involved, so hopefully more violent the better lol

wind_mill
July 5th, 2008, 13:21
I remember playing time splitters on the genesis when i was 8 years old. I quite enjoyed chopping off the limbs of my opponent, and finishing them off with a quick decapitating slash of my sword.

That being said, I don't think it had a negative influence on me.

In all fairness though, he did say "I think it MAY have SOMETHING to do with it".

It might, you never know. Different people react differently to different situations.

agenericperson
July 5th, 2008, 19:36
My favorite part was "Rock star and noted media violence expert..."

I don't really know how a person can be both. Don't you need a PhD in Psychology to even begin to fathom being a media violence expert? Maybe, he managed to do that in his spare time since rock stars have a lot of down time.

Mc_Logical
July 5th, 2008, 19:52
My favorite part was "Rock star and noted media violence expert..."

I don't really know how a person can be both. Don't you need a PhD in Psychology to even begin to fathom being a media violence expert? Maybe, he managed to do that in his spare time since rock stars have a lot of down time.

Exactly, its just the fact hes famous, maybe hes not so famour now, but if a famous person has a opinion its genna be heard, anyway interesting article, I can`t help but argue my opinion lol even though it won`t go through to him, but the reality is there, so hopefully this is just a blow in the wind, because majority of us know its bullshit for media attention (maybe to boost his popularity) because once your famous thats it, try to be a smart ass, I wanna knock his lucky got in the music business face out lol and ok we have crime problems with knives w/e but I still don`t think its nothing to do with video games, but fuk em lol

John Vattic
July 6th, 2008, 19:04
Poverty and ignorance are the only things that cause crime. Anyone who says otherwise is trying to sell a book.

jamotto
July 6th, 2008, 22:42
Poverty and ignorance are the only things that cause crime. Anyone who says otherwise is trying to sell a book.

Actually, it is just ignorance.