PDA

View Full Version : If ps2 is more powerful than psp then why isn't there a n64 emu for ps2 also?

lamentofking
July 5th, 2008, 00:48
The ps2 is more powerful than the psp. People say that n64 emulation is not possible on ps2. However the inferior console can emulate what "supposedly" the ps2 can't. So shouldn't it be a "if psp can do it, so can ps2?" To keep a long story short, why isn't there an n64 emu for ps2 yet? I mean yea the ps3 is out but the ps2 is still selling so people should still care a bit about it.

JKKDARK
July 5th, 2008, 00:54
There are not enough coders on the PlayStation 2.

lamentofking
July 5th, 2008, 02:25
so that's it then? coders are giving up hope on the ps2? correct me if im wrong but i thought coders enjoy making homebrew for everything providing it doesn't exist and when it does they make their own versions with some diff features? Not enough coders sounds like giving up to me. Isn't there some place that I can gather the coders together to make that emu? I mean theres still a lot of ppl on the ps2 you know.

Eviltaco64
July 5th, 2008, 02:59
Making an N64 emulator isnt that easy.
And rounding up coders would result in a mediocre emulator. You need to be committed.

lamentofking
July 5th, 2008, 03:03
i meant like expert coders. Didn't dark alex team up with team m33? Why can't a couple coders on the same level do that and make an n64 emu? I mean i realize it isn't that easy but someone went through all the trouble to port one for psp. I mean if not make one from scratch at least port one. Is the psp really that different from ps2 that they can't use the same emus?

wolfpack
July 5th, 2008, 03:14
i meant like expert coders. Didn't dark alex team up with team m33? Why can't a couple coders on the same level do that and make an n64 emu? I mean i realize it isn't that easy but someone went through all the trouble to port one for psp. I mean if not make one from scratch at least port one. Is the psp really that different from ps2 that they can't use the same emus?

Dark Alex IS team M33, along with a few others if i remember right, all he did was say that he was gone but really he just kinda renamed himself as something else without anyone noticing.

You could correct me if im wrong, but anyways thats how i remember it.

And as for the ps2... i dont really find it worth it but i guess thats just my opinion, i prefer it on the psp even though right now it has a lower framerate and StrmnNrmn is nowhere to be found right now.... i hope he shows up soon....

bah
July 5th, 2008, 03:31
I mean i realize it isn't that easy but someone went through all the trouble to port one for psp.
Deadalus is written from the start with the PSP in mind, it is more than a 'quick' port.

I mean if not make one from scratch at least port one.

The PS2 isnt powerful enough to run a basic port of a PC N64 emu, it would need to be largely re-written.

Is the psp really that different from ps2 that they can't use the same emus?
Yes. The PSP is not a PS2 in portable casing.

lamentofking
July 5th, 2008, 03:52
Despite all the responses the real question still lies in the fact that the psp, which is weaker than the ps2, is able to emulate the n64 but the ps2 can't.

pibs
July 5th, 2008, 06:55
Well the ps2 HB scene is pretty small. The thing is you have to buy the HDD for the ps2 and so it makes it less attractive to coders when theres a similar console that is easier to code on and already has a HDD.

synthetic_h8
July 5th, 2008, 07:05
you also have to consider the fact that the ps2 is notoriously harder to code for; let alone code a n64 emulator. n64 is hard to pull off on a 3.2 Ghz pc, let alone a ps2 running a 366Mhz. i've never used the psp n64 emulator but i might check it out to see if it's really any good.

bah
July 5th, 2008, 09:22
Despite all the responses the real question still lies in the fact that the psp, which is weaker than the ps2, is able to emulate the n64 but the ps2 can't.

That question makes all the sense of 'why is it not wet inside after it rains?'

Its not so much a matter of can or cannot as it is a matter of a particular person with the skills, time and dedication feeling its worth writing one for the platform.

Homebrew is more common/popular on the PSP than it is on PS2.

If you want N64 emulation on a cheap console then soft mod an original xbox.
Its not perfect but many games run quite well.

lamentofking
July 5th, 2008, 16:23
I just wish programming and coding was easy to understand. If so then I would make the emu myself. Prob is, i'll be some years before I go to college. hen you have to add up the years I'll spend learning then how long it'll take me to make the emu. The ps3 might even be down to $250 by then. Maybe $300 at the most.

Accordion
July 18th, 2008, 00:27
AS far as i know emulation depends largely on CPU similarities rather than raw power. The PSP uses a processor similar to the N64, which means some of the vast amounts of hard work emulating a system are easier to produce.

I think of it like trying to translate English into German or French compared with translating English into Japanese. When the language conventions are similar it is easier to interpret , but without any knowledge of Japanese the entire character base needs to be recreated.

type_theEND
August 17th, 2008, 18:47
Well, the PSP does have a better clock speed (333MHz, PS2 has 300) which isn't much, but for emulation a lot is in the clock speed, isn't it?

Tesseract
October 15th, 2008, 23:07
With all due respect, there aren't even good NES or GB emulators on the PS2. The Genesis is the best out of the bunch and the SNES emulator is passable, but still buggy.

I should think that anyone wanting to actually code something for the PS2 would be better served improving on a simpler bit of programming before moving on to something that would be as difficult as N64 Emulation.