PDA

View Full Version : NeoDC future suggestions

quzar
October 6th, 2005, 17:31
From topics that were complaining about neo4all or NeoDC, as well as myself, i've compiled a small list of features to be added. if you have any suggestions, then i may add them to the list. also, if you feel a certain feature doesnt make sense, make it known.

Configurable control scheme - not done
320x240 resolution mode - implemented
Alternative controls for arcade pad (no analog triggers) - implemented
Stricter timing throughout the emulator - partial
Auto-saved control scheme and region settings per game or global - not done
Custom CDDA control for custom music CD swapping - not done
MVS emulation - partial
Allow controllers to be plugged into any two ports - not done
Puru Puru support - not done
Zooming in during pause - not done
Full sprite caching(not sure if it's possible) - not done
-with this done, it would be possible to implement a custom sprite system - nowhere near started

I'm sure there are many things i've overlooked, if you have any suggestions, make them now.

obelisk
October 6th, 2005, 21:50
ummm. lemme see...

themable menu? (or change-able backdrop image?)

cartridge / aes support, you know the 160+ dollar fat huge carts for the 500 dollar home console i got in 91-92.

quzar
October 7th, 2005, 03:40
I'm still unsure about how I will do the menu, but odds are it will simply be a transparency over whatever frame you paused on, with bios font options. This solution is quite spartan, but my goal is to add as many features as possible with as little ram usage increase as possible. Considering that I could add pages of code for the size of a background image...

AES emulation as far as i know does not exist. The AES cartridges contained the same data as the MVS counterparts, and the only difference was the physical interface (the shape and size).

obelisk
October 7th, 2005, 22:10
that would be a rad feature with the transparency idea, quzar, excellent.
you're right, it ouwld be silly to emulate the AES, when all it is is a different wrapping physically feh, all that is different is the actual interface, true that, i looked around and saw some cool pics of the MVS's different board models, keen stuff. Is high score / level saving already in the emu, if so, magician lord... and sengoku wouldn't /have/ to be played in one sitting (sometimes i don't have that much time). thanks quzar.

quzar
October 7th, 2005, 22:14
save states will not be possible, but nvram/memory card saves will work as they do in NeoDC already for CD games.

quzar
October 10th, 2005, 21:42
three new ideas:

Zooming in during pause - not done
Full sprite caching(not sure if it's possible) - not done
-with this done, it would be possible to implement a custom sprite system - nowhere near started

obelisk
October 11th, 2005, 05:27
do you want some keen custom elctronic music / noise units for bootscreen/ and menus?

quzar
October 11th, 2005, 16:49
Too much overhead code, as well as the space needed for the music file. Right now all that NeoDC uses is basically kos and a tiny dependence on the standard math library (which I am most likely going to get rid of, in favor of a customized version).

I am leaning towards releasing a v2.4 before getting the MVS stuff working because it's been so long and I've made so many improvements.

obelisk
October 11th, 2005, 20:50
cool

1stvinicius
October 12th, 2005, 15:49
Make a way for the emu to be able to turn back to the inducer theme.. I guess this has nothing to do with your emu and lots of things to do with the SBI Inducer program but it'd be nice to see. If not possible to make disc swap support try to put a way for us to reset the DC (not reset to neocd bios screen but to the DC swirl initial logo)

quzar
October 12th, 2005, 15:53
my method for escaping (abxy in testing) relinquishes controll to whatever called the emulator. i'm not sure how SBI works, but it should go back to it. When i get a menu put in i'll make reset and exit both features.

1stvinicius
October 12th, 2005, 17:29
My suggestion is kinda useless (the one to reset the machine to its start point). If you aplly that dumb suggestion of mine the user would still need to get up from his chair/bed to take out the Neocd game and put the neocd emu back.... onsider only the one related to the Inducer soft. Another suggestion: is it too hard to make a better loading process by removing those stops/spin ups while loading?

quzar
October 12th, 2005, 17:50
that is simply how the dreamcast reads files. it doesnt spin down completely or anything.

1stvinicius
October 12th, 2005, 17:59
So why it doesn't spin down when reading DC native games?

quzar
October 12th, 2005, 18:24
it's the way it works with kos stuff? i don't know =P i'm not making it spin down manually.

kingbuzzo
October 17th, 2005, 06:53
ya you know what I like. Props to implementing C+Z support

- button config
- scan lines
- Some vmu screens for individual games
- more sparkly

thanks,

K'Buzz

obelisk
October 18th, 2005, 22:06
i totally like, forgot about sparkly! yea for sparkly.