PDA

View Full Version : Risks?

that1guywiththeface
July 10th, 2008, 19:56
Pardon me for sounding noob-ish, but I have some concerns about using the Homebrew Channel.

1.) What are the CURRENT risks of using the Homebrew Channel? I've heard that it can prevent you from being able to play Brawl or Galaxy, but was that just for mod-chip users?

2.) Do I still need to use the SD-to-GC-slot converter thing to use the Twighlight Hack? If no, than could someone please direct me to a more up to date guide?

3.) How easy is it to take games from my other emulators and make them playable on the Wii? I heard somewhere that the Virtual Console had been decrypted and that the game files were just ROM's? Is this true? If yes, than is it as simple as copy and paste?

Note: I'm not new to homebrew, just new to homebrew on the Wii. I've had my PSP hacked for quite a while.

h2923j42n2
July 11th, 2008, 02:11
Pardon me for sounding noob-ish, but I have some concerns about using the Homebrew Channel.

1.) What are the CURRENT risks of using the Homebrew Channel? I've heard that it can prevent you from being able to play Brawl or Galaxy, but was that just for mod-chip users?

2.) Do I still need to use the SD-to-GC-slot converter thing to use the Twighlight Hack? If no, than could someone please direct me to a more up to date guide?

3.) How easy is it to take games from my other emulators and make them playable on the Wii? I heard somewhere that the Virtual Console had been decrypted and that the game files were just ROM's? Is this true? If yes, than is it as simple as copy and paste?

Note: I'm not new to homebrew, just new to homebrew on the Wii. I've had my PSP hacked for quite a while.

1. I do not have Super Smash Brothers Brawl. However, I do have Super Mario Galaxy, and I have had no problems playing it with the Homebrew Channel installed. I also do not have a mod chip, but I think that you might be thinking of the "#001" error, or something along those lines.

2. No, the newer versions of the Twilight Hack supports loading from the front SD slot. The Homebrew Channel supports this as well. If you have the 3.3 firmware, you will need the '0.1beta1' version, which you can download here (http://www.wiibrew.org/wiki/Twilight_Hack). When you download that, the read me will tell you what to do.

3. As for emulators, all you have to do is place the ROMs in the required folder, like with a lot of emulators. Yes, the game file for the Virtual Console is just a ROM, along with the Virtual Console emulator. Since the Virtual Console emulators are coded by Nintendo, I cannot tell you about them. As for homebrew emulators, you can find a list here (http://www.wiibrew.org/wiki/Homebrew_apps#Emulators). This page also has many other homebrew applications.

that1guywiththeface
July 11th, 2008, 02:24
Okay, umm, what is the #001 error?

h2923j42n2
July 11th, 2008, 04:28
I think it has something to do with the game detecting an unauthorized device. In this case, a drive chip. The game just does not boot, and there are ways to get around it. I'm not completely sure on this, though.

Regardless, I have not heard of any games not working properly after installing the Homebrew Channel.

masterchief929
July 11th, 2008, 16:00
i have Brawl and Super mario galaxy and both work fine with the HB channel installed.

that1guywiththeface
July 11th, 2008, 16:24
Thank you.