PDA

View Full Version : Just soft modded my Xbox, I've got a new question.

Benty666
October 9th, 2005, 20:08
I am unable to ftp and I'm using the EVOX dashboard. There is a button half-way down the screen which says MS Dashboard, How can I access this?

Is it possible to revert from one dashboard to another at the press of a button?

Thanks

Chris

Hawq
October 9th, 2005, 20:52
Just scroll down the menu & select it with a, assuming you dont have an emulator disc in at the time it will boot up the MS dash, to get back to the evox dash either hit the power button to reset the machine or press the left & right triggers with back & start, that should get you back to the evox dash

Mourningstar
October 9th, 2005, 21:04
How did you do it?

And can you put emus and stuff on the HD using cdrs?

Hawq
October 10th, 2005, 15:57
I've never tried shifting stuff from cdr to the HD myself though I've heard others have done so, though of course the dvd drive determines how successfull use of cdr's will be samsung being the best drive for them, a decent file managing app should do the job, I just ftp stuff across myself as I find it quicker & simpler.

Cap'n 1time
October 10th, 2005, 18:21
You cannot you CD-r's. you can use CDRW's or any type of DVD meida.

I started modding along time ago and the rules I learned then are forever stuck in my mind... so perhapes you can use CD-r's.

Benty666
October 11th, 2005, 00:28
to answer questions.

I use CDRWs for transferring my data.

Mourning star, its unbeliveably easy, the best guide I saw was on a techfreaks web site. It takes almost no time and the emulators are unreal, i love it.

It won't let me select the MS dash, it just skips over it. There is no way for me to access it from the EVOX menu, any ideas?
I've heard it can be done by using the auto installer but i wouldn't know how to use it.

I need a guide which explains how to use auto installer after installing the soft mod.Also without using FTP. It has to be done by burning the auot installer image to a CDRW and doing it that way.

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks

Chris

Mourningstar
October 13th, 2005, 23:29
Benty666, can you give me a link to the guide you used?

All you need to do this is Splinter Cell/ Mech Assault/Agent Under Fire, Action Replay and a memory card?

Ive been searching for a AR where I live but cant find one...guess I would have to order one online....

WHat emus have you gotten to work this way?

Benty666
October 14th, 2005, 00:32
There are 2 guides, the basic one and the one that tells you how to restore the MS dash once you installed the softmod.

This is the basic one: http://www.techfreaks.org/articles/modxbox.shtml

If you want the other one, either ask or email me.

Enjoy

Onetonbullet
October 14th, 2005, 05:49
There are alot of cool apps you should check out too...

I'm typing this from an Xbox browser!
:)

Hawq
October 14th, 2005, 18:49
You cannot you CD-r's. you can use CDRW's or any type of DVD meida.

I started modding along time ago and the rules I learned then are forever stuck in my mind... so perhapes you can use CD-r's.It depends what type of drive you have in your Xbox a Samsung (the best) will be perfectly happy with a CD-r then it goes downhill for the Thompson & is it Phillips? I forget the exact makes as mine has a Samsung in

Mourningstar
October 15th, 2005, 04:02
I have the Samsung drive....I think Im gonna do this when zi get the money.....

WHat emus have yall used?

Im mostly interested in SNES, GBA and N64.....do any of those work 100%????

Hawq
October 15th, 2005, 17:47
The Snes emulations great XSnes9X is the one I use if memory serves, havent used it for a couple of weeks so I forget a bit, runs brilliantly though & of course full speed.
The GBA emulation is also good though I dont use it very often
N64 emulation is covered well by Surreal64 a collection of 1964, PJ64 & Ultra HLE ports that do most games quite well & at a decent speed, theres a choice of 3 vid plugins to use in it so that helps a little as well. Of course theres a few unofficial ones of it that are ahead of the official, though some people have mixed views on them, it runs most of the games I want though with decent results, be aware that the controls in Blast Corps dont work right but many may have passed that game by & wouldnt be bothered anyway I guess, GE & PD are a bit slow on it as well.
Mame0X is worth a look if you like yer arcade games, note that its based on Mame .84u3 though so the current Mame set wont work right in many cases.

Mourningstar
October 15th, 2005, 18:28
Cool...Ive already downloaded the files...now I just have to get one of the games, some cdrs and borrow a credit card to order Action Replay...

So with softmodding you can do everything that a modchip would do? This seems way too easy...but Ill try it! :)

plungmonies
October 16th, 2005, 07:52
from what I hear from freinds is that surreal is a real pain in the ass to get working on a soft mod system as most versions do not support the soft mod. For the price of buying all the shit to do a soft mod with, why not just buy a mod chip.
and then there is xbe signing and other tricks to get things working properly.
Trust me when I say that you will want to use surreal.......its f#cking brilliant.

Hawq
October 17th, 2005, 18:55
from what I hear from freinds is that surreal is a real pain in the ass to get working on a soft mod system as most versions do not support the soft mod.Wonder what theyve been smoking then, its a doddle to get working & all versions work with the soft mod, hell I've gone through em all so far official, freakdave, xxx they all work perfectly fine with the softmod

For the price of buying all the shit to do a soft mod with, why not just buy a mod chip.
and then there is xbe signing and other tricks to get things working properly.
Trust me when I say that you will want to use surreal.......its f#cking brilliant.A modchip plus fitting would work out as more & the only thing I've ever had trouble starting has been GTA:SA & Red Ninja that I imported, a quick change to NTSC in the evox settings fixed that, actually I left it at that as it seems to be happy with everything anyway like that. Gotta agree on the surreal comment though as long as you arent after prolonged Blastcorps due to the control issue it has then its great, hopefully a future release will fix blast corps controls.

Cap'n 1time
October 17th, 2005, 21:37
SoftModding = same results as Chip Modding... seriously, all they both involve is replacing some files. One has hardware, the other dont. Any app compatible with a chipped system is going to work the same way with a softmodded system. period.

plungmonies
October 18th, 2005, 06:31
hey I dont have a soft mod system myself,all I have to go by are certain friends who I have to wonder myself what they are smoking, I just heard it had something to do with the bert and ernie fonts. I have performed a hotswap to mod my half brothers xbox and he has had no probs,that is also by far the cheapest method.
I guess the price of a modchip plus installation is vastly different geographicaly as where I live you may be looking at about the equivelant of maybe 25 us dollars....a hell of a lot cheaper than an original copy of a game such as mechassault and a memory card.

I am also talking about the first official version of surreal which is well known not to work on a softmod. I guess I should have been more specific......sorry dudes

Hawq
October 18th, 2005, 18:31
It always worked fine on mine, though some surreals can have issues with the dvd dongle being plugged in at times from some stuff I've read, never seemed to make much differance to me though.

Cap'n 1time
October 18th, 2005, 20:23

I am also talking about the first official version of surreal which is well known not to work on a softmod. I guess I should have been more specific......sorry dudes

hey dont apologize. I commend you for looking into it and asking questions. :)

Mourningstar
October 21st, 2005, 01:02
Im still planning on doing this.....just dont have the money to spare yet.....

Are there any negative affects of softmodding?

Or I could get a DC for around the same amount....which one would be better?

plungmonies
October 21st, 2005, 05:44
It depends on how you soft mod, a hot swap for example is quite risky where as a memory card and game exploit is really quite simple but you should be warned that only original copies of the game (mechassault, 007) will work, platinum versions will not.
as for your question xbox mod or dc, well it depends what you want. After reading your old posts it looks like gba is high on your agenda which makes the decision easy xbox......however there are a shitload of cool dc games out there making a decision like yours hard.....if you are hard up for cash and know someone else with a modded xbox you can always do a hot swap, that will not cost you a dime.

to answer your first question though....I don't personally know since my xbox is chipped but I do know that I decided on a chip over softmod since at the time surreal did not work on the softmod although this seems to be ammended. |If you have any other questions then check out the softmod forum on www.xbox-scene.com.

Mourningstar
October 23rd, 2005, 23:38
Does it matter what version of Xbox I have?

My current Xbox I just got less than a month ago so Im assuming that its probably the newest version......

plungmonies
October 24th, 2005, 05:33
http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=443489

this is a pretty good layman's terms guide to softmodding.
your xbox version should not effect the softmod.

Mourningstar
October 25th, 2005, 00:06
Thanx for the link but now I think I know everything about softmodding it myself, but there is one thing.....

I cant FTP the files to my Xbox nor do I have a DVD burner to burn the files to DVD......so I need to know how to copy all the homebrew files to a CDR and then transfer them to my Xbox.....I spent a few hours yesterday reading through the Xbox-Scene forums but couldnt find the answer.....

Oh, and I still plan on doing it....being broke sucks....

plungmonies
October 25th, 2005, 06:05
you can use cdr-w media on the xbox. Unless you have a samsung drive that came with earlier models which can read standard cdr's you will just have to use rw's.
there are a couple of autoinstaller discs such as slayers and firef#ckers but I would reccommend making one yourself based on evox and xbox media centre so that way you could flash the bios, set up the dashboard and have a file manager to transfer emulators and homebrew via cdr-w.
If you need any more help then pm me and I can maybe guide you through step by step.

have fun....

Mourningstar
November 6th, 2005, 03:21
Ok, I finally did it....I successfuly modded it a little bit ago.....

But how do you connect you Xbox and PC for FTP?

Ive tried what a few tutorials have said but I still cant get a connection....

PLEASE HELP ASAP! ;)

January 8th, 2006, 14:35
i have a samsung drive but it doesnt read cd-rs:(