PDA

View Full Version : Are all MAME projects for PSP dead?

BazzaLB
October 11th, 2005, 02:23
There doesn't seem to have been any updates in recent times.. I'd love to see elevator action running at decent speed (its very slow ATM on PSP Mame 0.97 tt), so does anyone have any news on further MAME developments for PSP?

Thanks in advance

Skye
October 11th, 2005, 02:31
Alot of times emulator author are just busy, and/or progress is slow. So authors only like to make releases when they have substantial updates to offer. I would just wait and see when the next version/s come out. As far as I know the project isn't dead so just keep an eye out.

Greg_Alexander
October 11th, 2005, 22:58
Mame on the PC, is so cool, and offers so many games, I can't see the PSP version being dead. it's only a matter of time for steady improvements to be made.

Mr.Modem
October 12th, 2005, 13:46
The problem with MAME is that it emulates som many games and therefor it's very hard to make a good port. The sourcecode is huge. The MAME Project has always focused on compatibility rather than speed and the code is not very optimized. It would take a huge amount of time to make a good MAME port. I think it would be better to port other arcade emulators, that's already optimized to run on a "slow" system.

geise69
October 12th, 2005, 20:10
Yeah there is just no way mame will ever be playable on psp unless they use code from the very early versions of mame. it was way faster. after i think version .37 it started to be coded differently. At least that's what i think happened if memory serves me right. Now something that would be better to emulate would be Raine. Raine is a lot faster than mame, but it still might not load alot of roms due to the file size being to big to store into memory.

quzar
October 12th, 2005, 20:15
Raine makes extensive use of x86 assembly. PSP optimization doesn't really exist yet. Give it time for people to learn what's going on with the hardware.

PSP can definetly run mame, at least games pre-m68k.

misterp22
December 29th, 2005, 16:51
I think mame would be the best emulator around if some1 could get it running at a decent speed, i really wish i understood everything about emulation so i could try getting it to work better. If only someone who knew alot about emulation wanted this emulator to work good just as much as i do!!!