PDA

View Full Version : is the d-pad meant to be 4-way?

lowride
October 11th, 2005, 19:26
I just wanna check if its just my d-pad or all of em. When playing Winning Eleven 9 or Street Fighter on SNES9x, the d-pad doesnt do diagonals :mad:
Cant do fireballs or dragon punches, etc.

Is it meant to be like that? :confused:

The analog does it fine but its difficult to play with.

ultros
October 11th, 2005, 20:56
actually d-pads of every common consoles are 4-way (up,down,left,right), the diagonals are just a combinition of two of them :rolleyes:

but the problem is that many PSP's seem to have the problem in doing this diagonal combinitions. my jap-psp can do them, my us-psp not.

this makes whole genres of games unplayable, like street fighter style fighting games, as you already mentioned.
it will be impossible to jump forwards or backwards, which is essential for a fighting game.
maybe sony will stick to more car-racing games or fps's. i don't know

urchin
October 11th, 2005, 21:14
My dpad doesn't do diagonals :(

jadominican1989
October 12th, 2005, 01:08
i have a us psp and it does diagonals fine

leggy
October 12th, 2005, 12:30
If the d-pad doesn't do diaganols can you not use the analogue stick instead??

ultros
October 12th, 2005, 13:06
If the d-pad doesn't do diaganols can you not use the analogue stick instead??

have you ever tried playing a beat 'em up with the analog stick?

plungmonies
October 12th, 2005, 13:12
the analogue stick is great for fighting games...kinda feels like using the neo pocket microswitch joystick.
the d pad is always a little tight when new, you just gotta break it in a little.
consider it deflowering the psp's d pad.

lowride
October 12th, 2005, 14:56
the analog stick isnt much good for beat em ups, i'm be able to do fireballs easily but when i try say a back 3 sec forward move, i end up jumping in the air or ducking or so. That and i'm worried its gonna break - warrenty means no more homebrew :(

I dont think my d pads tight, infact its loose. Pressing up and left would only trigger up or left - not both.

I have to switch between both while playing winning eleven. D pads hasnt got enough control and the analog is too sensitive. Its fustrating.

Anyone with an European PSP confirm that their d pad does do diagonals?

jaws
October 12th, 2005, 15:10
YEAH, it is too bad that PSP D-pad is so hard to do diagonals - I use twice the physical power when playing just Tony Hawk which is a PSP game.

Seems like Sony need more time in the handheld buisness before they can compare with Nintendo. By the way, Nintendo have copyrighted the cross as D-Pad, that is why either Sony/Logitec cannot use the same brilliant technique...

JAWS!

lowride
October 13th, 2005, 13:01
Is it copyrighted? nintendo's cross d pad is definately the best.

As for the PSP's d pad, it is indeed 8 way, just have to press extremely hard on a specfic point between, say, the up and left.

Whats wrong with the d pad? well to me it seems the actual four directions on the d pad dont stick out enough. :angry:

It means you when press up and left, your thumb is stoped cos of the main body of the psp (area around the d pad). Then if you want a diagonal to register, you have to press more harder to push the actual direction buttons deeper in.

The solution i think would be to stick something on the direction buttons, so that pressing on up and left means the button registering without the thumb coming into contact with the psp shiny plastic (area around d pad) to early.

3rd party accessory for the d pad is needed i think.

pspbeer
June 20th, 2006, 00:44
PSP 1.5 to PSP 2.0 cannot move D-Pad diagonally on emulator games and on official umd cd games

PSP2.5 can do D-pad diagonal movement on emulator games and umd cd games

I have 2 psp,one is on firmware 1.5 , the other is on 2.5

Anybody can help , so i can move D-pad diagonal on psp 1.5???

Followup:
Upgraded and downgraded several times
1.5<-->1.52<-->2.0
Tested the official sega virtual tennis game, I cannot move diagona on D-pad. The problems is not limited to emulator games!! With my other psp on firmware 2.5 i can move diagonal on D-Pad with no problem. Both psp is on latest hardware psp1001

Conclusion:
This is to stop people wasting time!!!

1. If on firmware 1.5 to 2.0, use the analog stick if you want to move diagonal on emulator or regular umd cd games, most emulator have an option to map d-pad to the analog stick, I have tried this on the snes, dgen and neogeo cd.

2. D pad move movement in diagonal path is not possible with firmware 1.5-2.0

3. Do not attempt to disassemble your hardware!!

4. The only sensible fix is on the software side, we need a homebrew-hack to fix the d-pad problem on firmware 1.5-2.0!!

Why i am always the first to find out!!!! Just had my 2 psp for less then 1 weeks and all these new findings!!!!!

I forgot to mention cannot move diagonal in any direction u-l,u-r,d-r,d-l , so i doubt it is an issue low pad.

Napalm-Death
June 20th, 2006, 03:36
http://ufighterx.com/guides/videogame/pspdpadfix/pspdpadfix.htm

Accordion
June 20th, 2006, 20:30
they make that extra button thing that came with preordered street fighter, it is a piece of rubber which covers the d-pad and the diagonal spaces so you can press real diagonals. its needed because the first few hardware generations have buttons set too low. machines made after and included the jap ceramic model feature more prominent buttons, they also adjusted the square button screen alignment.

has anyone thought of using the extra button attachment on the symbol buttons for use with shooters like syphon filter, and socom... gives smooother control with camera movment.
i made one myself out of a large eraser(to get the same feel) and simply cut it with a knife into the correct shape, works quite well

Skye
June 21st, 2006, 01:18
You can do them, it's just hard to pull them off. Trying Street Fighter out I had a really hard time pulling off special moves myself.

pspbeer
June 22nd, 2006, 01:19
PSP 1.5 to PSP 2.0 cannot move D-Pad diagonally on emulator games and on official umd cd games

PSP2.5 can do D-pad diagonal movement on emulator games and umd cd games

I have 2 psp,one is on firmware 1.5 , the other is on 2.5

Anybody can help , so i can move D-pad diagonal on psp 1.5???

Followup:
Upgraded and downgraded several times
1.5<-->1.52<-->2.0
Tested the official sega virtual tennis game, I cannot move diagona on D-pad. The problems is not limited to emulator games!! With my other psp on firmware 2.5 i can move diagonal on D-Pad with no problem. Both psp is on latest hardware psp1001

Conclusion:
This is to stop people wasting time!!!

1. If on firmware 1.5 to 2.0, use the analog stick if you want to move diagonal on emulator or regular umd cd games, most emulator have an option to map d-pad to the analog stick, I have tried this on the snes, dgen and neogeo cd.

2. D pad move movement in diagonal path is not possible with firmware 1.5-2.0

3. Do not attempt to disassemble your hardware!!

4. The only sensible fix is on the software side, we need a homebrew-hack to fix the d-pad problem on firmware 1.5-2.0!!

Why i am always the first to find out!!!! Just had my 2 psp for less then 1 weeks and all these new findings!!!!!

I forgot to mention cannot move diagonal in any direction u-l,u-r,d-r,d-l , so i doubt it is an issue low pad.

I return the defect psp for another psp 1.5.1 diagaonal worked fine, upgraded to 1.5.2 diagaonal worked fine, then upgrade 2.0.0 diagaonal worked fine then downgraded to 1.5.0 diagaonal worked fine...Looks like Sony screw up, the hebrew is safe for downgrade!!!!

------------
June 23,2006 after installing the personlize wall paper and also SXT Version Changer V2.02 http://www.sonyxteam.com , my psp 1.5 was unable to read umd cd, try to upgrade to 2.0 but got struck at 99% deja vu, luckly was able to exchange for new psp 2.0.1 . I confirmed personlize wall paper is safe. Now I am 99% sure MPH Game Loader v1.1 (39KB - 36,650 downloads) cause the problem.

BEWARE is is dificult to brink your system but easy to make you umd cd unreadable!!!!!!!!!!

pspbeer
June 24th, 2006, 21:29
I return the defect psp for another psp 1.5.1 diagaonal worked fine, upgraded to 1.5.2 diagaonal worked fine, then upgrade 2.0.0 diagaonal worked fine then downgraded to 1.5.0 diagaonal worked fine...Looks like Sony screw up, the hebrew is safe for downgrade!!!!

------------
June 23,2006 after installing the personlize wall paper and also SXT Version Changer V2.02 http://www.sonyxteam.com , my psp 1.5 was unable to read umd cd, try to upgrade to 2.0 but got struck at 99% deja vu, luckly was able to exchange for new psp 2.01

BEWARE is is dificult to brink your system but easy to make you umd cd unreadable!!!!!!!!!!

My new psp 2.01 can do up-right and down-right diagonal movement but it can not do up-left and down-left!!!!! Anyone tried this

http://cgi.ebay.it/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=104753248286&sspagename=ADME:B:AAQ:IT:1

pspbeer
June 25th, 2006, 09:04
Big psp websites like this one should compile a list of emails , when the list is big enough file a law suit for defect dpad shipment, ten of miilions of consumer bought a psp with a defect dpad, this is an obvious breach of trust and lack competency / quality inspection.

i call customer service they act stupid not aware of dpad problem post on the internet..

dtothabreezy
June 25th, 2006, 16:49
mine works fine considering i only got mortal kombat though:cool:

acn010
June 25th, 2006, 16:50
ha ha, i had the same problem long time ago, even the circle button came off. :D

Gizmo356
June 25th, 2006, 17:10
just use a combanation of two directions and thats a diagonal

pspbeer
June 25th, 2006, 19:11
I just purchase a kit

http://cgi.ebay.it/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=104753248286&sspagename=ADME:B:AAQ:IT:1

This kit ihas sold over 600 units all satisfied customer!!

All you psp owners,u think your diagonal working? I had a psp 1.5 with working right-up, right-down and left-up diagonals. left-down is not working!! confirm this with multiple games, this could explain why I get hit in fighting games (no blocK). Had to return the unit because I partially brick it , cannot read umd cd!!!

yoshiherder
June 25th, 2006, 20:02
yeah i was on ebay and i saw a lot of different 3rd party dpads for the psp that u just snap on top of the old one, for cheap. im thinkin of gettin one for sure.

Accordion
June 25th, 2006, 20:50
just make one out of rubber, use a knife and a hot knife and mould it.

clear your head

then just place it on top.

i made a bigger analog nub as well, i melted the base then placed a spare nub i erm found...yeah thats what i did, i found it. into the soft rubber and let it set
works quite well