PDA

View Full Version : Homebrew problems with 4.01 M33-2

kosmos5457
July 18th, 2008, 22:42
Just upgraded from 3.52 M33-4 firmware up to 4.01 M33 Release and then used the Network Update tool on the PSP to upgrade to M33-2 over wi-fi.

The update went smoothly, no problems whatsoever with that.

Tried SNES9xTYL 0.42 (think it's that version) and it did not work. Same goes for a lot of the homebrew I have. I have not tried everything but after this update I could still see the icons of the homebrew such as SNES emulator in the list but just wouldn't work.

I then copied a lot of stuff from the 1gb memory card I have over to the computer to backup and then place certain things I wanted back on the memory stick later.

Once formatted using this new firmware, it creates the GAME4XX folder in the PSP directory so I've placed homebrew in that folder as well as GAME150 folder and does not seem to make any difference at all.

I'm aware that there is an addon 1.50 that has been released so I followed instructions and installed that. I'm not sure what that does but it warned that I would not be able to use LocationFree Player which I accepted as I've no use for it. Before installing the addon, LocationFree agreement notice loads if I click on that button to load it but now it does not after installing 1.50 addon, therefore the addon must have installed OK.

I thought that upgrading to this new firmware was meant to be a good thing but I'm not sure what is any better about it to be honest. 3.52 M33-4 was good, it worked, which is what I expected with this firmware but seems to have brought not only myself but many other people problems.

I don't want to downgrade to an earlier firmware, not really sure how so won't mess around too much with the PSP to get it doing what I want again. I might just have to wait for the next latest and greatest firmware release.

Just in case anyone is wondering, its the original PSP that I have, not the Slim version.

Thanks in advance to anyone that might be able to help.

Saracchini
July 18th, 2008, 22:58
Homebrew for kernel 1.50 must be placed in folder Game150.
The folder GAME4xx is for apps that use kernel 3.xx and 4.xx. Homebrew that needs 1.50 kernel will not run if placed in that folder.

kosmos5457
July 18th, 2008, 23:15
I've tried placing the homebrew in the GAME150 folder. SNES9xTYL does not even appear in the menu.

Just thinking about it, could that have something to do with the %SNES9xTYL folder not being present? Really not sure but when I first loaded the new firmware on, Snes9x appeared in the list of homebrew applications. After I formatted the card as the homebrew was not working anyway, the homebrew does not show in the list again.

Someone said try naming GAME4XX, say GAME401 for example as that is the firmware I'm using now but I'm aware that DAX has removed the numbers from there so that the user does not have to change the numbers in the directory.

As things are, I would agree with you that all the homebrew that I am using is rather old and does use 1.50 firmware but that still does not explain why the homebrew does not want to work.

kosmos5457
July 19th, 2008, 15:58
Well it looks like I have solved the issue myself by downloading most of the homebrew with the problems and getting the folders such as homebrewname% and placing them in the folder with just homebrew name.

All seems to be fine now anyway.

aussj4link
August 4th, 2008, 22:22
I appear to be having the exact same problem. I pretty much did the same thing you did and now all my apps and games aren't working either. I placed a % at the end of the homebrew folder name like you and now it detects the homebrew. but it still just says it cant run the apps. I was using 3.52 M33-4 as well and everything was fine, the whole reason for upgrading was because I found a ported to the psp version of Chrono Cross and it said it had to be played with a higher version of firmware. Now I'm not so sure it was such a good idea, because now I can't run anything at all, which kinda sucks lol. I hate to sound like I'm just bumping this thread but, BUMP.

Gilligan2307
August 26th, 2008, 02:28
I'm going to bump this thread again.

I have the same problem with 1.50 homebrew, and I got as far as the 1.50 kernel update. Once I run it, it tells me that it cannot decrypt the updater prx.

Help?