PDA

View Full Version : Did E3 Just Gasp Its Last Breath?

wraggster
July 20th, 2008, 19:52
This year's E3 is over, and there's already talk that this could be the last one. Even before the conference started, a slew of studios announced they wouldn't be taking part, citing high costs and other 'business reasons.' At the conference itself, 'there were no huge game announcements, and Microsoft didn't even bother having Bungie show up to talk about the next Halo release, claiming that the company wanted to "shorten the presentation."' Electronic Arts CEO John Riccitiello said he 'hated' E3's new format, adding 'either we need to go back to the old E3, or we'll have to have our own private events.' Crave also noted there are no solid plans for next year's show. On the other hand, people have predicted E3's demise in previous years, and they turned out to be wrong."

http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/07/20/0420233

Dbgtgoten
July 20th, 2008, 20:05
I don't believe its gonna die because Always with new setups/things people tend to shy away from it till it becomes accustomed to and seen how it is setup thats my opinion.

masterchief929
July 20th, 2008, 21:13
i agree, but i think e3 should go back to how it was in the old days.

some_guy_named_matt
July 21st, 2008, 03:03
i havent even kept up with e3 the past few years, how has it changed?

[Matt]

acn010
July 21st, 2008, 06:54
it has been more of a vip only event between companies and not for public... that's one reason its fading away....

geise69
July 21st, 2008, 12:48
Man I remember going to E3 back in 97 and 98 when it was hosted in Atlanta. I think back then it was so much better. Games still weren't in the crazy mainstream like they are now. It cost less, but it still had crazy awesome game booths. Companies went all out! There were still even smaller companies that were able to afford to show up. Like some of the smaller Korean game companies. It was great. I remember going to Sony's booth in 97 and they had a huge PSX game controller set up for Parrappa the Rapper. You had to kick and punch the controlls playing through the first level. It was a blast. In 98 Konami had a huge base set up and people dressed as military for the first PSX Metal Gear Solid. It was just fun and not yet too expensive for everyone. I was sad though to here there were certain issues with renting out space there in Atlanta. The convention center was raising renting costs so they just moved it back to LA. Still if they would just tone it down a bit and not go too crazy like they did in the late 90's early 2000's it would be fine. At least there's still the Tokyo Game Show.

Demonic_Cr0w
July 22nd, 2008, 20:49
E3 used to be the super bowl of gaming. Now it's just a pile of trash. It's really sad what's happening to the gaming industry = / I always thought the gaming industry would always last, but it seems to be going downhill fast.

pibs
July 22nd, 2008, 21:22
E3 used to be open to the public? wow didn't know that. It should of stayed that way, hell we are the ones buying their products.

jamotto
July 22nd, 2008, 23:47
Just can't please those exhibitors can they. The exhibitors wanted a smaller show as it was too big and expensive, now that they got what they wanted they still are complaining. :rolleyes:

Mark30001
July 23rd, 2008, 06:00
I blame high gas prices.