PDA

View Full Version : DS ram and quake 2 DS...

sotu1
July 22nd, 2008, 13:47
heya guys,

my first post on this forum so go gentle! i've been a bit of a lurker, and this site always crops up when i google homebrew DS, so i figured i'd join eventually :)

i've got a DS with an R4 at the moment, mostly used as a media player and organiser (and a lot of ghouls and ghosts!) but i recently discovered doom DS, which is pure amazingness.

i then discovered DS quake 2, both of which needs a Slot 2 RAM expansion pack.
http://quake.drunkencoders.com/index_q2.html
"To play the game you must have a supported slot-2 flash card that contains a minimum of 16 megabytes of RAM."

Can anyone here tell me if they have it running on their DS and what hardware they've got in it?

i know i've got to make a purchase at some point, ideally i'd like to pick up a ram expansion pack that will also allow me to start looking at GBA homebrew too and also expand my storage space. anyone got any suggestions?

sorry that's a lot of info for a first post!

help muchly appreciated x

bobtheninjaoffood
July 22nd, 2008, 15:21
I personally use an R4 and a Supercard lite. It's not the best slot 2 RAM, because it only works on the slowest. It's not bad, though. Lots of people like the EZ-Flash 3 in 1. However, I don't believe it has storage space. GBA homebrew works good on any Supercard. If you have a DS lite, go for the lite MicroSD version.

DanTheManMS
July 31st, 2008, 12:19
The Supercard is not recommended for GBA usage due to its slow RAM which causes some GBA games to experience severe slowdown. I'd look into the 3in1, as it contains 16 MB of RAM which can be used by homebrew. It doesn't have its own microSD card, but you can store your GBA files on your slot-1 microSD card and use the GBA ExpLoader software to copy a game to the 3in1's internal flash.

Berserk987
September 2nd, 2008, 11:36
i was also curious which slot 2 expansion would work the best.

so far looking at the 3in1, unless theres a different one with more system usable ram.

trugamer
September 2nd, 2008, 22:32
Honesty I think the system that would work the best would be an m3 perfect (takes microsd cards) or a g6 (with in built memory). These give you (I believe) fast ram without slowdown and the full 32MB. However they are more expensive than the supercard/ez-flash alternatives.

I don't personally own one so I couldn't recommend them, but on paper they are the best.

Another World
October 8th, 2008, 07:44
adding on. simon j hall has told me on more than one occasion that his 3-in-1 has the fastest clocked ram. he prefers it and that is why he recommends it for quake2ds. also ds doom does not require any expansion ram. you said "both of them" so i figured you also ment doom.

-another world