PDA

View Full Version : Video Game Labeling Law Passed In New York

wraggster
July 23rd, 2008, 22:14
A law just passed in New York now requires labels for violent content in video games that are already rated, as well as having parent-controlled lockout features installed in consoles by 2010. The law has caused an uproar with civil rights groups who claim that such a law is unconstitutional. A legal challenge is already in the works by the New York Civil Liberties Union who cite that similar laws that have been brought to courts in California, Illinois, Minessota, and Washington state have been deemed as unconstitutional. NYCLU legislative director Robert Perry also says that the 'new law is a "back door" way of regulating video game content

http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/07/23/1548228

splodger15
July 23rd, 2008, 22:17
Kinda pointless really maybe they should tackle retailers who sell the games to a younger age therefore there would be no need for it.

Like today I went out and purchased Bioshock in my local Game shop. The game is rated 18 and I managed to purchase it with no trouble at all not even a single question

Kulawend
July 23rd, 2008, 22:25
Kinda pointless really maybe they should tackle retailers who sell the games to a younger age therefore there would be no need for it.

Like today I went out and purchased Bioshock in my local Game shop. The game is rated 18 and I managed to purchase it with no trouble at all not even a single question

But they shouldn't over do it.
Once I was buying a game at Fred Myers and the cashier carded my dad (who was with me). I found that very unnecessary.

John Vattic
July 23rd, 2008, 23:22
Stupid people.

There are violent wars (REAL WARS) being "labeled" "good" by scumbag government f**ks.

I have seen pictures of children in afghanistan melted to their homes by u.s. radiological weapons (illegal weapons).

yet fictional games are bad?

c'mon wtf is wrong with humanity.

honestly wtf?

i mean wtf?

seriously......W T F ????????

osgeld
July 24th, 2008, 05:52
dont they have more important things than to label a video game thats already labeled?

gamev8
July 24th, 2008, 12:08
I would have to say any new legislation seems somewhat pointless.
This legislation will provide information and educate consumers to help them make better choices for their children," said state Sen. Andrew Lanza If I am not mistaken that is the purpose the current rating system.

The law also establishes an advisory council to study "the connection between interactive media and real-life violence in minors exposed to such media" and to evaluate the ratings issued by the Entertainment Software Ratings Board.This is the part I don't like. The whole concept of studying the "Connection" between interactive media and real-life violence is asinine, All stimuli affect the mind of a human being during it's relatively short life, From the beatings it receives in middle school to missing lunch. It's causality and studying it will not change it's nature. The unfortunate truth is that there are people in this world who for one reason or another have been incited to acts of extreme violence by video games these people are few altho not necessarily far between.

I would not be surprised if this kind of "Advisory Counsel" led to the proposal of censorship laws but I must take issue with the people calling it unconstitutional. From what I can tell it does not impose any restrictions on the content of video games thus it dose not violate the right to free speech.
The opponents of censorship would be wise to yield a little to the storm of bureaucrats and politicians so that when they call for unconstitutional censorship laws you will have a history of allowing them an attempt to fix the human race and a detailed record of their dismal failure.

PX1296
July 24th, 2008, 23:36
I agree with everything John Vattic said. It's ironic that the goverment are trying to discourage virtual violence where no real living things are killed, yet they themselves are killing loads of innocent people with weapons far worse than in any video game.

On the other hand, this could be a good thing. I mean, it's just a big label on the box, and we already have parental controls on current next-gen consoles. It's not like the state of New York is turning into Germany.

A big label saying "WARNING THIS GAME CONTAINS GRAPHIC VIOLENCE" (Or something like that) on the cover could get the attention of idiotic soccermoms who buy their 5 year old kids Resident Evil /Mortal Kombat/GTA without even bothering to notice the "M" rating on the box (Idiotically assuming all video games are for kids).

This should please Jack-@$$ Thompson as well, and maybe he will be satisfied, and maybe he will stop annoying us and making us die a little inside when he appears on TV (Or maybe he will start complaining that Super Mario Bros needs that label too)

John Vattic
July 25th, 2008, 03:27
Thanks px1296, good to know there are still some logical thinking people in the world.

acn010
July 25th, 2008, 03:35
as for me living in new york, im old enough to do everything so I dont care lmao!