PDA

View Full Version : Finaly I realize why the slim feels so cheap

mike_jmg
July 25th, 2008, 21:12
Maybe some of you already knew but I've just realized this.

I bought a 4Gb sandisk memory stick for my new slim right, but then I started to have some trouble I didn't have with my older 4Gb sony memstick, the problem was that sometimes when I went back to the XMB from a game or homebrew application, CXMB plugin would act as disabled when it wasn't.

Then I put the sony one back on the slim and it has never happened again. Then I thought why does this only happen with the sandisk MS. I wasn't surprised at all when I saw the sentence "Made in China", on the back of the sandisk MS.

The sony 4Gb I have says "Made in Japan"

So I thought this would apply to my PSPs as well, and there was no letdown

PSP 1001 - Made in Japan
GOW PSP 2001 - Made in China

So there's why the PSP slim and Lite feels like cheap plastic, BECAUSE IT IS CHEAP PLASTIC!!!!!:mad:

acn010
July 25th, 2008, 21:17
no, your wrong, where it comes from does not matter when it comes to big companies, they regulate and check their products before its shipped.. the new psp uses a different plastic a stronger one...

ICE
July 25th, 2008, 21:26
The slim doesn't have that large frame that the original did on the inside. That might be it.

Buddy4point0
July 25th, 2008, 22:51
The original PSP has a thicker shell and more metal on the inside. The slim is thinner plastic and almost no strong metal.

dejkirkby
July 26th, 2008, 05:09
no, your wrong, where it comes from does not matter when it comes to big companies, they regulate and check their products before its shipped.. the new psp uses a different plastic a stronger one...
The Slim PSP definitely uses a thinner, weaker plastic.
I have a white one and it has got quite a few cracks at the weak points, such as the corners around the screen and around some of the buttons, specifically the HOME and START button.

mike_jmg
July 26th, 2008, 06:52

Nah, where it comes from does matter
China = cheap labor, cheap raw materials = lower quality products = higher profit

ok they regulate and check the products so they wont have any defects.

The plastic is not stronger, it's maybe harder wich makes it less flexible so it tends to break easily.

But also it is not that cheap, well it feels a bit stronger than the average cheap plastic chinese toys tend to be made of

:mad: why did they change materials, it was great the way it was, damn

Triv1um
July 26th, 2008, 10:14
Very true, however its design doesn't help.

But anything made in china is bound to be lower quality, but its more money for Sony.

Its not like it is really fragile, it can still withstand alot. Just not as much as the fat PSP.

acn010
July 26th, 2008, 14:30
dejkirkby, wtf you do with yours? lol
it is a stronger plastic but the word brittle make a huge difference.. mine is ok. never had any crack problems alap it is made in china

JLF65
July 27th, 2008, 08:27
The Slim PSP definitely uses a thinner, weaker plastic.
I have a white one and it has got quite a few cracks at the weak points, such as the corners around the screen and around some of the buttons, specifically the HOME and START button.

:rofl:

Do you sit around banging on your PSP with a brick all day? :confused: I've used my Slim since they launched and it shows no wear at all. The Slim is high quality plastic, even if it isn't as hefty as the Phat. :cool:

ICE
July 27th, 2008, 18:40

Do you sit around banging on your PSP with a brick all day? :confused: I've used my Slim since they launched and it shows no wear at all. The Slim is high quality plastic, even if it isn't as hefty as the Phat. :cool:

Yeah I've had my silver one since day one and its been in my pocket from then on and it shows almost zero wear. Then again my neighbor bought a black on 2 months ago and his buttons are loosing their spring already while mine remain perfect. I guess its just how you use the thing lol.

Haisook
October 25th, 2008, 20:29
I must say I agree with the original poster about the PSP slim being cheap. I had a PSP 1004, and although it was also made in China, it felt like a quality product and gave me ZERO issues for 2 years. Now I got a PSP 2004 and it not only 'feels' cheap, it's actually poorly manufactured. The screen is not aligned correctly. The faceplate edges are not well attached. It creaks. The battery cover is not fixed well. Light is coming through the button gaps. I actually opened it up to fix these issues. See my blog post here (http://drhaisook.wordpress.com/2008/10/22/psp-slim-lite-poor-manufacturing/).

I'd actually do anything to get my PSP phat back (sadly I sold it off). My PSP experience now feels less enjoyable than it used to be.

Wally
October 28th, 2008, 12:00

You make a fair point, used my slim since launch as well and had no problems with it.. Probably because my hands don't require such a weight and boom it drops. I threw my fat at the wall once (Fell off a wheely chair and hands slipped. (Don't ask))

OH and the Slim doesn't look as ugly xD

Halsook, that's replacement material.. Get it replaced. If you bought it off eBay well thats your own fault.

Wally

Haisook
October 28th, 2008, 15:34
Some people have been happy with the transition from phat to slim, but I just don't like it. I must say the slim is the actually portable form, and is more practical to carry around, but the quality and solid built of the phat was one of the biggest factors why I liked the PSP in the first place.