PDA

View Full Version : modchip query

sean.aaron
July 26th, 2008, 11:12
I'm late to the Gamecube party and I'm thinking about getting a modchip fitted after having issues with the 1.0E Freeloader (mine is a PAL DOL-101, so only partially compatible).

Anyway I have a handful of import NTSC games I want to play, some from the States and one from Japan, so getting a Japanese Gamecube isn't ideal, but the one Japanese game I have is one that has a problem with game saves working with Freeloader: Mr. Driller Drill Land.

Before I go through the effort of trying to mod my 'cube does anyone know if any of the modchips, DuoQ, ViperGX or other will enable my PAL gamecube to successfully use a save game for this (the Japanese release of Donkey Konga is apparently similar)?

Cheers for any feedback,

Sean

sean.aaron
July 31st, 2008, 07:46
I don't know if I'm in the wrong part of the forum for this, but in the absence of replies I've ordered a Xeno GC from Futura Videojuegos; hopefully this will do the trick. I'll report my findings. Not doing backups so you won't get the normal queries about adjusting the laser or burning DVDs!

sean.aaron
August 12th, 2008, 07:38
Fitted the Xeno GC. Not too difficult, but lesson learned about reassembly prior to testing. Got the red LED the first time.

Added some more solder to three joins, et voila! However this just makes the DVD drive region-free, and Mr. Driller Drill-Land checks the system firmware apparently to make sure it's a Japanese 'cube so the game saves for this title still don't load. In addition the machine still outputs PAL signal, so the NTSC is interpreted as a PAL 60 signal which my TV doesn't handle that well (big black bar at the bottom of the screen -- unlike my old CRT my Philips plasma doesn't allow centering of the image whilst zoomed, so the best I can do is zoom in and lose the very top of the image).

So, looks like I'm going to get a Japanese GC, chip that and play USA/Japanese games on that and PAL GC games on my Wii. If only I had known that earlier; I just missed a good deal on a Japanese GC. Well, hopefully I'll be able to sell this modded PAL one to recoup the costs.