PDA

View Full Version : Free game source code

evidence
October 17th, 2005, 05:01
I have been looking around and it seems that some people are a bit confused by copyright and which games they can use or get the source code for and stuff like that so I thort I would post this link to a site with HEAPS of free to download game sources including:
Grand theft auto
Quake 2
Wolfenstein 3D
Doom 2
Duke Nukem 3D

I dont know how easy it is to port a game once you have the code but meh thort id try.
http://www.liberatedgames.com/gamelisting.php

scx0r
October 17th, 2005, 10:23
nice someone port gta 1 :)

Mourningstar
October 17th, 2005, 21:04
Hm, someone really should port GTA.....

bobcobb
October 17th, 2005, 22:47
GTA1 is pretty crappy now that GTA3 and beyond has come out. I'll just wait for GTA: LCS.

evidence
October 18th, 2005, 06:55
How much work does it take to port a game over, what do you need to know?

Mourningstar
October 19th, 2005, 01:05
GTA1 is pretty crappy now that GTA3 and beyond has come out. I'll just wait for GTA: LCS.
True, but GTA1-PSP, for free, would kick ass, no? ;)

bobcobb
October 19th, 2005, 01:07
Yea, but finding a coder with time to put in it is harder said than done.

evidence
October 19th, 2005, 04:07
Also I was wondering why no one will list the pak0 file for quake when it is freely avaliable to download on this list under the quake listing......????

DoomMarine
October 30th, 2005, 07:48
Is the GBC GTA that much different to the PC version?

quzar
October 30th, 2005, 17:16
Just because the game is free does not mean it's open source. Grand Theft Auto is an example of that. They only released the game itself not the source code.

Difficulty of a port depends entirely on the content of the game. Mostly how operating system dependent(OSD) it is. Many homebrew games work by doing all their rendering to a software buffer, then using an OSD function to draw it to the screen. This makes porting easy, as all you have to do to get video working, is to replace that single function, with an equivilant one. From what I know the psp doesnt really have a wealth of libraries availible for it, so porting most of those above would be quite a major undertaking.

Basically if you don't understand how hard it would be to port something, your most likely can't. It requires knowledge of C (or C++) as well as the workings of the different libraries the software you wish to port uses.

Festizzio
November 12th, 2005, 03:30
Just because the game is free does not mean it's open source. Grand Theft Auto is an example of that. They only released the game itself not the source code.

Difficulty of a port depends entirely on the content of the game. Mostly how operating system dependent(OSD) it is. Many homebrew games work by doing all their rendering to a software buffer, then using an OSD function to draw it to the screen. This makes porting easy, as all you have to do to get video working, is to replace that single function, with an equivilant one. From what I know the psp doesnt really have a wealth of libraries availible for it, so porting most of those above would be quite a major undertaking.

Basically if you don't understand how hard it would be to port something, your most likely can't. It requires knowledge of C (or C++) as well as the workings of the different libraries the software you wish to port uses.

So how hard would it be to port gta then?

bill00000
November 12th, 2005, 04:56
So how hard would it be to port gta then?
R* never released the source, so it's near impossible.

thedaemon
December 10th, 2005, 04:09
For quake and doom full game content info. Opensource video game, means the code is free to pass around. ID Software and the other opensource engine makers, do NOT give away their artwork, 3d models, sounds etc, for all to use. They still sell it. Hope that explains it.