PDA

View Full Version : x-com ufo would own on psp

scx0r
October 17th, 2005, 10:18
the good old x-com ufo enemy unknown / ufo defence would kick some ass on the psp... its a classic strategy and has basic in graphics, this would turn tables and bring the game to newer audiances, please check it out guys.

Port it and we're all in heaven.

scx0r
October 17th, 2005, 10:21
The UFOs are invading our skies! Reports of human and bovine abductions are increasing daily! Cities are terrorized! Something must be done!

XCOM, or eXtraterrestrial COMbat unit, was founded as an international force to combat the alien menace. Start with one base, two fighters, one transport, and a few soldiers, you must stop the alien threat... once and for all.

XCOM is essentially two separate games with interlinkage. On the strategic side, called GeoScape, you get a rotating view of the globe, where you see all visible UFOs (those that are within your detection range) as well as major cities and your base(s). You order movements from here, such as sending out fighters to intercept UFOs, transports with soldiers to assault/recover UFOs, and perhaps assault alien bases (if you find any). You also control your research, as you must find better weapons (the Terran weapons are just no match against the alien weapons) quickly, not to mention all the other cool tech you can recover from the aliens. You also need to control your budget, as you can't afford to overextend your reach. Researchers need to be paid, engineers (who build the new toys) need to be paid, base(s) need to be be built/expanded, planes been to be bought/maintained, supplies need to be replenished...

Once you join a ground battle, the game switches to Battlescape, which is a 3D isometric view of the battlefield with realistic line-of-sight calculations and turn-based combat. Your mission is usually extermination of all aliens on the battlefield, though if you can capture a few it would surely help your research efforts. You also recover any alien artifacts left on the field if you win... Which can then be researched...

Overall, the game is a true classic, as it successfully mixes strategic considerations, resource management, and tactical combat considerations, along with plenty of authentic UFO lore

Amiga
October 17th, 2005, 15:23
i liked nearly all of the x-com games :)

Putin
October 17th, 2005, 15:35
The last one sucked, still I'd like to get the old one on my PSP. But is it actually possible at the moment ? At least you can download the game legaly on the web.

scx0r
October 17th, 2005, 19:56
you can run dos box on your psp and if it had mouse keyboard support on it we'd be able to play it maybe?

i love this game it hardly required key inputs , base names and save names, id love this game as it would just relly on mouse nearly 99.9% of the time.. damn think about it how sweet it would be to play it ...save and load again on th bus, infact since its turn based theres no requirement to constantly keep ur eyes fixed on the screen walking about...

>< its gotta come, amiga emu might play amiga version tho.

jaws
October 18th, 2005, 09:10
Oh yeah! UFO is one of those games to remember, I espeacially UFO Enemy Unknown. It is too bad that Amiga version doesnt have music in the globe/economy part... maybe dos box will be good enough someday, however i think this will take a great while.

JAWS

Mr.Modem
October 18th, 2005, 13:25
you can run dos box on your psp and if it had mouse keyboard support on it we'd be able to play it maybe?

Dosbox is way too slow for this, and will never be able to run this game smooth. We should be happy if we ever get the Amiga version playable at full speed.

scx0r
October 19th, 2005, 14:50
:) UFO was such a classic, ill be happy if they got the ps1 version playable just kidding rofl at .5 fps we'll never get our base name created by that time we'd be 2-3 days into it lol, talk about taking it easy eh.

Seriously guys i dont trust the amiga emulator for this kind of game, id rather a stable port like doom is... wow that port is FAST!

Noriyuke
October 20th, 2005, 22:47
Instead of talking about how great or how horrible the game really is, why dont you guys try and make a small group and develop the port? It shouldnt be that hard, just get some source code, and some experienced enthusiastic coders, ill gladly donate to the caue if it gets going on a good track, because if it dies halfway ill shoot someone...... :D

Seriously though, there should be some coders around, get to work on that!

evidence
October 21st, 2005, 01:12
What needs to be done to the souce code in order to port the game?

fozza
January 31st, 2006, 18:50
Shame nothing has been done about this.

Another game that would rock on the psp is the Elite series.
Either the original or the follow ups like Frontier, or First Encounters

espionix
February 28th, 2006, 20:16
Loving this game as much as I do, i'll give it a go at porting it too.

Hawkeyefile
March 1st, 2006, 22:41
the source wasnever released. but i was able to play the game at really good speeds with psp uae (http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/pspuae.shtml)
you can get the game for the amiga here (http://amigos.amiga.hu/ancientoys/u.html)
select ocs as it is faster. the speed rating was about 50% (a500 speed) with the sound turned off.

gbgunner
July 2nd, 2006, 20:01
i can get the game as it can be downloaded legally for someone if they can extract the code

gbgunner
July 2nd, 2006, 20:03
Shame nothing has been done about this.

Another game that would rock on the psp is the Elite series.
Either the original or the follow ups like Frontier, or First Encounters

I think Elite would be another good choice, again its real simple graphics, has a massive following...lets do it. I know someone else has developed Elite 2 already.

gbgunner
July 19th, 2006, 00:29
Can someone please port XCOM its a great game, and i think because of its basic grahpics it would be easy for a coder to reproduce. Loads of people love this game it would be a real hit on PSP...lets do it.

PeterM
July 20th, 2006, 21:43
No source = no port

Kaiser
July 21st, 2006, 05:49
No source = no port

= End of discussion and a lock