PDA

View Full Version : Help! - PSP Analog(ue) Nub Broken

Argon0
October 17th, 2005, 20:44
Well, I've had my PSP for several months now (since March(?) Hong Kong import) and while playing Burnout Legends I've had problems with my analog nub...

The Nub started off by getting stuck in the down position, now it can can stuck in any position. I stop playing and waggle it about a bit, and it seems to "free itself" from whatever its getting stuck on. but THIS IS GETTING VERY FRUSTRATING ('scuse shouting). I think it might be to do with the thin piece of plastic under the "nub" (which has a socket on it that the nub itself connects to - see the tutorial for replacing nub with ps2 analog) whcih moves around with the nub - I can only think that the edge of the "sheet" has got curled up or creased or something, and is now cathcing on the inside of the case.

Has anybody else come across this? Or heard of it happening?

A japanses girl on the train saw me struggling and helpfully ( :confused: ) pointed out that this was a known problem in Japan - but I've never heard of it before (I wonder if she was confusing it with the square prob, but she seemed to know about that too.... ::scratcheshead:: )

Argon0
October 19th, 2005, 11:33
Well the analog nub broke off in my fingers this morning.. The mechanism underneat still works.

It looks like there was a small disk/washer under the thin piece of plastic that you can usually see (through which the connection for the nub sticks), the connector for the nub should fit snugly into there with a bit sticking through to the mechanism beneath (three sliders which move in different directions to give movement...)

HAYELP!!!!!

Does anybody know where I can get support for this - I don't have a receipt as this was a gift...

Anybody know if I can get it repaired???

again... HAYELP!!!!

Oh, and then I spoke to SCEE and:

Just spoken to Sony - they are calling it accidental damage - accidental damage my ARSE!!! I was playing a f@cking game the way its meant to be played

They want £135 to fix it as its a non UK model..

I am SO ****** off at Sony!!! I love the PSP - but I HATE the company - I may be forced to switch to Xbox for my next home console (or the PXB - which I can't see MS NOT coming up with in the next 12 months or so...)

<grr>

Now looking for a reliable repair service to replace the analog unit (apparently the only way to fix it) - any suggestions?

Argon0
October 20th, 2005, 12:31
What, no one can be bothered replying? <groan>

RedKing14CA
October 20th, 2005, 14:27
why dont you replace it with a ps2 analog stick?

Argon0
October 20th, 2005, 14:48
Well, because its the WHOLE stick that is broken - not just the nub bit... (Well the mechanism is still there - just hte bit that the nub connects to is broken,,,)

RedKing14CA
October 20th, 2005, 14:53
you could try taking it back to japan........ or selling it on ebay.... or maybe even do things the old fashioned way and like, soder it on, or something, but £135, isnt that like the same price as a brand new PSP? and they would probably update it..

dont get it repaired (by sony), its not even a last resort, your last resort is to buy another PSP.... a white one? :P

Argon0
October 20th, 2005, 15:06
Yeah I know - I've found someone to repair it - so its with them now...

SoQb0nc5r
October 20th, 2005, 15:42
the analog stick comes off and can be put back very easily.

Argon0
October 20th, 2005, 15:55
No it doesn't that's the NUB on top of it.... (I knew about that - & I know that the nub can be replaced with a PS2 analog stick) but both of them just attach to the stick..

If you take off the nub you will see a thin sheet of plastic through which the stick protrudes... Under that sheet of plastic (a very thin washer in effect) there is a small plastic washer (1-2mm thick) that the bit that the nub connects into connects to (or is part of - not sure on this as I have only seen it broken) - part of the stick must protrude beyond this "washer" into the sliders that make up the mechanism of the Analog controls. It is this washer that is broken - into three bits - or possibly 4 if the stick that protrudes is part of it.

The easiest way to repair seems to be to replace the whole analog control bit - as the PSP is fairly modular.... This should cost around £30-£35 to fix (according to the quotes I have had)... So its off with a repairer now... Can't believe Sony wanted £135 to fix it...

Ah well I'll just have to pirate some more games to make up for splashing this cash on it!

Argon0
October 23rd, 2005, 10:54
Well, thanks to SMART systems of Basildon, I have my PSP back and in working order, sent iot to them on Wednesday, got it back on Saturday - working as well as before... except there are two specs of dust under the screen, & they charged £9.99 for postage and packing (they used the same box as I sent it them in & I know postage of that parcel only costs £4.25)!! The repair itself was £30 + P&P. So well worth it all in..

I have contacted Success-HK, where it apparently came from, but they only warrant stuff for 6 months, apparently, which I am just outside of (BY 14 DAYS!!)...