PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate PAL UK Dreamcast Resource

spurs4ever
October 18th, 2005, 19:00
I have been looking all over the net, and have yet to find the definative PAL dreamcast resource. Some have come close but none of them really highlight the machine, its games and the history of the Dreamcast, not fully anyway.

So I got thinking, what would be the general thoughts on a "book" (professionally printed of course) that people could have on their bookshelf and refer to, either from a collectors point of view, or as a reference guide?

I thought some more, and did a little research too and it turns out that to cover all the information properly (including full page reviews of the 216 UK PAL released games (well the 216 that I am aware of) and the peripherals and accessories, as well as the history of the machine in the UK and information releating to the homebrew scene) would mean that the said "book" would have to be A5 in size and printed in black & white (well halftones for piccies).

This would all end up in a 260 page reference book, printed in black & white, availabe for around £10 plus postage. (Colour printing would be the way to go but would cost well over £25 to print, so that really makes it non-viable).

So, would this be something that has a place in the scene? Would people buy it more to the point? And for it to be successful, what information would have to be in it?

Christuserloeser
October 19th, 2005, 16:42
Sounds good. I would be interested in something like that!

spurs4ever
October 19th, 2005, 18:09
Just to add some credibility to this possible idea, I am the same guy who wrote the Dreamcast Homebrew article a few months ago (which was posted on here) that a few of the regulars thought was ok :)

So come on guys, let me hear your thoughts, so that i can decide wheter or not to spend the next few months of my life sitting at my keyboard :)

Zherae
October 19th, 2005, 23:54
10.00 GBP = 14.7172 EUR

Don't know its a bit late in Dreamcast life for something like that.

spurs4ever
October 20th, 2005, 07:02
I am surprised that this has not been done before to be honest, and I appreciate your viewpoint Zherae, but just maybe, someone will find some benefit in a resource like this.

As i said in the original post, I have not yet come across a "definative" website that logs all of this infomation, let alone a paper based resource, and with this in mind it could be a case of better late than never.

I have decided to start work on this idea, printing a limited run, and offering it as a PDF for those who would prefer it that way.

If anyone has and ideas, or would like to help out, then please drop me a line, otherwise I'll be back after the Chirstmas holidays, hopefully with a book to tempt you all with :)

Christuserloeser
October 21st, 2005, 19:47
10.00 GBP = 14.7172 EUR

I think that's a pretty good price. Now if there would be a project like this for the JP/US markets too.

Just to add some credibility to this possible idea, I am the same guy who wrote the Dreamcast Homebrew article a few months ago (which was posted on here) that a few of the regulars thought was ok :)

This one ?

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=1743

Gameholic
October 22nd, 2005, 12:04
It definitely would buy it! good effort!

spurs4ever
October 22nd, 2005, 15:39
This one ?

Yep that one.

Got a few things to do this weekend, but have a week off next week so will make a start then. Got some planning to do first, general structure etc, so while I am doing that, does anyone have any suggestions as to the type of information they would like to see?

spurs4ever
October 24th, 2005, 17:58
Been talking to Sega about this and it seems as if they want royalties for such a book to be published (well royalties to use images from games and cover art anyway), so thats the end of that idea it would seem.

Regards
Simon

Mental2k
October 26th, 2005, 16:26
How much were they lookin for in royalties, if they were lookin for a percentage profit, then a slight hike in price would allow you to keep your profit at what you want and also allow sega their royalties.

spurs4ever
October 26th, 2005, 23:53
Flatly told me that they would not issue a license due to the "commercial" properties of such a project. (Didnt even get to the cost side of it all)

Even after I pleaded with them, I still got the same answer.

Sega again screw over the little guy.

Regards
Simon

beetroot bertie
October 27th, 2005, 20:04
How about turning the project into a non-commercial web based resource. It could be done in bits and uploaded when you feel like it so you don't have to write it all in one go, can be amended easily and might be good way for others to add their reviews/opinions etc.

If it gets lots of hits, you may be able to make some money from banner ads.

spurs4ever
October 27th, 2005, 22:52
It wasnt a commercial project idea in the first place, and was definately not about the money. I was limiting myself to 100 copies as thats all I wanted to get printed. Even with this small amount the price I would have charged would have just about covered the cost of printing anyway.

As for a web based effort, there are a few half decent sites already out there, and would seem pointless to try and create yet another. I wanted to get it in book format so that people had something tactile to refer to, but the powers that be wont let it.
Still, I wont dismiss the idea of a web based project, just not as excited at the thought of it.

Regards
Simon

spurs4ever
October 28th, 2005, 13:44
Been chatting to a few people about this and it looks as if a web based resource would be ok. Got lots of ideas, but what i am stuck on is a name for the site, any ideas?

Regards
Simon

Mental2k
October 29th, 2005, 15:01
I'd have bought the book. Yeah a web based resource is good, though you could compile it all in a pdf when you're finished, next best thing to a book. What about a DC wiki? And call it DC wiki.

Hope you pull this off spurs, would be excellent!

Darksaviour69
October 29th, 2005, 15:15
you could just use dreamcast-scene.com, its a wiki

spurs4ever
November 14th, 2005, 19:39
I've started :-)

Decided on a PDF in the end. Will allow me to keep the format the way I want it and also allow me to run a load of book off of it in case Sega change their mind when they see it :)

Anyone interested in helping out with it, or am I on my own with this one?

Regards
Simon

spurs4ever
June 10th, 2006, 01:25
Me again :)

Been a while sine I last posted, but thought I would let you all know the situation so far....

I wanted to start this off as a book, then after chatting to Sega I decided upon a PDF, then a website (which I banded a few test pages about the net - to positive remarks) and now I have come full circle and have actually spent the last few days planning it as a book again. I have the structure set out, a list of contents, and detailed information relating to those contents. Being an unofficial guide to the Dreamcast, and without stepping on Sega's toes, as long as I do not use any copyrighted material (Logos etc) I will be able to get the printed as a book somewhere down the line.

Obviously I will only be looking at printing a short run, as I truly do not know how many people would be interested in this kind of product, however I do not expect any moeny up front before I got it printed.

The idea is to create it as a PDF and then charge a small amount to those who want to download it. If after seeing the PDF you decide that you want the actual paper book version then the cost of the PDF will be deducted from the cost of the book. So lets say that the PDF will cost £4.99 (price only as a guide and not decided upon) and you wanted a physical paper copy (we are talking about a perfect bound 300+ page book here) then the £4.99 you paid for the PDF will be put towards the cost of the book, leaving a smaller balance to pay.

This way you get to see the contents without paying a fortune for it, and if you decide to go with the book itself, you will also get the PDF version for nothing :) If not then the money charged for the PDF will go towards the bandwidth needed for the PDF download (which I expect will be around the 100MB mark), and a few beers for the amount of work that I am sure to put into this insane idea!

Like I said, I have the structure of the book planned and estimate that it will be ready around Christmas time this year, possibly sooner depending on certain factors. That gives me 6 months. Its possible.

I will have a webpage up soon with information relating to the progress of this project along with sample pages as and when i have them ready. I will also have a pre-order page set up for the PDF and the book itself but remember that NO-ONE is obliged to pre-order anything, although those who do pre-order will be guarantted one of the 100 or so I will be initially printing.

Anyone got any thoughts on this?

Regards
Simon

Dull Blade
June 10th, 2006, 06:44
I like it. I will probable just end up buying the printed version, because i find i can reading a book is easier than having to turn on my computer each and every time I want to referre to an article. well you can count on my purchase.

milksheik
June 17th, 2006, 18:19
I would definitely consider to buy. I think it's a nice idea - you are facing a lot of work... Will you put the structure of the book and of a single article up for comments?

spurs4ever
June 17th, 2006, 21:05
Structure / contents will be available in the next few days and comments will be obviously be appreciated.

Regards
Simon

spurs4ever
June 20th, 2006, 14:22
To save cluttering up this forum I have created a provisional webpage for the idea with a link to a fourm where I would appreciate it if you could take a few moments and post your views.

More information can be found at www.consolearchive.co.uk

See you there...
Simon

GagaMan
June 20th, 2006, 14:24
Ooh, I would most definatly buy this book =O