PDA

View Full Version : Rumor: XBL Silver Now Allows Free Online Play?

Darksaviour69
July 28th, 2008, 13:04
OK, this is hard to run down exactly, because there's a Live Weekend going on right now, which means you can play online for free on Xbox Live. But reader Draco (http://forums.xbox.com/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=21691968), a Silver level gamer, says that he's been playing cross-platform multiplayer games for free since Wednesday night, which precedes the Live Weekend (which started at midnight Friday.) I checked his Gamercard and, yeah, he played Shadowrun online on Thursday.

It seems that ending the gold/silver distinction in Games for Windows Live (effectively making it free) might have had the same effect for those who game on titles that are both PC and 360. A commenter on Xbox Live forums found that Shadowrun online play was free, for example. Reader Draco, who spotted this, says it works for Lost Planet: Extreme Condition Colonies Edition and Universe at War: Earth Assault, too.

We'll have to check back after the weekend ends. But bigger picture, could this — don't get your hopes up, but it's gotta be on everyone's mind — mean that Xbox Live may eventually convert to a free model for all multiplayer gaming too?

Via kotaku (http://kotaku.com/5029541/rumor-xbl-silver-now-allows-free-online-play)

KFR42
July 28th, 2008, 13:18
Thats not such great news for those of us who have just paid for a 12 month subscription within the last few months!! If this is true I hope they exchange remaining months for store points.

Shadowblind
July 28th, 2008, 17:09
Thats not such great news for those of us who have just paid for a 12 month subscription within the last few months!! If this is true I hope they exchange remaining months for store points.

I could see some sort of refund going on. They'll probably give it to us in the form of XBL Points though.

Elven6
July 28th, 2008, 17:47
You guys realize only 3 games are applicable...right?

mcdougall57
July 28th, 2008, 17:52
Thank god I pay monthly