PDA

View Full Version : I said good bye to my PSP 1.50 Release today

Cross
October 24th, 2005, 06:05
Well I bought my PSP right when it was released in the US... and I have really enjoyed it. But the lack of games I enjoy and the fact that I saw something I could not live without today has forced me to say good bye.

First off I had a Nintendo DS also when it was released in the US. I also did not enjoy the lack of games on it (Metroid Prime Hunters still has yet to be released). But Coded Arms, Need for Speed and Midnight Club just was not good enough to keep my PSP. I will get another with the promise of the Mega Man Legends releases but for now I had to go with a DS after I saw two games:

Lunar Dragon Song (Which I have collected all the others)
and
Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow

So I traded everything in. I will miss my emulation but I did not spend 250 for a system that I only really enjoyed having a SNES Emu on. (Plus I understand there is a SNES EMU for DS so I shall try it.)

I will def miss my PSP for videos and for homebrew I will not have access to. I do not know much about the DS scene and I look forward to learning more and hopefully buying a White PSP when they come out or another black one if the right price comes along. I am not out of the PSP Scene for good just for now as I could not pass on Lunar and Castlevania. I wanted to have both but for now I know I will have games I want to play using the DS right now and I lok forward to new reviews and challenges.

I will miss the enjoyment of the PSP for now and still think of it as the nicest hand-held I have ever owned. But for now I want something that I Want to play and I am not Waiting to play.

I have been gone awhile so I am sure many new ppl are not familure with me but I look forward to seeing the progress on all the EMU's when I get my next unit in coming months. Unit then I will watch and see the wonderful things that come across this system and learn more about the DS side of the house.

Cross

RedKing14CA
October 24th, 2005, 07:18
wow... i traded my DS for my PSP...

i know the PSP has one screen twice the size of the DS top screen... and the DS has two screens (hence the DS=Dual Screen) but the comparison- the beautiful looking PSP screen VS the blurry pixelated DS screen...

*sigh* i must have my graphics...

but if starcraft comes out for DS i will get one... starcraft and zelda....

Phange
October 24th, 2005, 07:59
Genius, you gave the PSP 7 months to impress you with a myriad of great games? I hope you sold a PS2 right after launch, because it had crap for games for almost a whole year.

You wanna know how long the DS has been out? 11 months. It took the DS 11 months to get a true killer app (Castlevania). PSP's getting GTA tomorrow. You're an impatient fool, and I pity you.

Pagnell
October 24th, 2005, 12:48
Genius, you gave the PSP 7 months to impress you with a myriad of great games? I hope you sold a PS2 right after launch, because it had crap for games for almost a whole year.

You wanna know how long the DS has been out? 11 months. It took the DS 11 months to get a true killer app (Castlevania). PSP's getting GTA tomorrow. You're an impatient fool, and I pity you.

While I agree he is being a little impatient, it is somewhat harsh to call him a fool and it's highly unlikely he wants your pity. Not everyone has the same opinion but that doesn't make them fools. I confess if it wasn't for the superb homebrew on the PSP I would have come close to selling it on a few occasions and I have had mine since January.

However, there are some super games coming up and I for one am looking forward to them.

BTW - where did you get your information about GTA being released tomorrow or where you just making it up? I have heard nothing of this.

Cross
October 24th, 2005, 22:26
Look PHangle or whatever it is. I bought a DS when it came out went to the PSP and now I went back.
I have done reviews on the PSP and enjoyed it, but **** you for thinking I want ur petty remarks.

This was to say hey I am on hold from my FAQ as I went back to my DS. I also said I will get a White PSP when they come out but for now the PSP was just not doing anything for me.

Sorry thats to much information for you. I Still have my PS2, XBOX Modded, Cube, Saturn but I wnt a portable system with games like RPG's (Notice that Lunar and Castlevania serve both of those? Racing gets boring and I beat Untold Legends when it came out. GTA never interested me except for its first release. Nor does Gran Turismo to much, racing is fun only for awhile.

(Also again above it said I was also returning for Mega Man Legends making its return on PSP even if only remakes.)

I don't care if you feel me impatient or not, I bought a 250.00 system and I wanted games to play now not later. I waited I felt bad for not really using it and I went to Lunar and Castlevania I like those and wanted to play them not to mention my old GBA Games.

So again since reading the RULES is not something you can do, NO THREAD CRAPPING! So go waste ur time else where.

omniosiris
October 25th, 2005, 00:01
hmmm...I agree with you 100% cross, the PSP has zero good commercial games. But the fact that I can play both SNES and Genisis games on it(two of my favorite gaming systems) and that combined that makes about 200+ amazing games I can play on my PSP, that makes it worth it to keep it for me. Also quake and doom are fun, I can't wait for quake II to be ported

Cross
October 25th, 2005, 00:51
The PSP is def an Awesome system, but I collect games and I love ones that keep me interested and going. Racing just was not doing it for me and Untold Legends was not big enough. I did very much enjoy it but NES and SNES on my PSP where what I was mainly doing.

When I saw Lunar and Castlevania I could not pass them up. I was going to buy Lunar either way and I just decided it was time to switch back since SNES is available on the DS as well.

Either way I loved my PSP and I will get a White or if they ever release the yellow one. But for now I want to play the games made for the system to and there was just nothing that grabbed my atten.

xmodx
October 25th, 2005, 01:44
You know that there is a versian changer that tricks your psp in to thinking its version 2.x yet you still stay at 1.5 so you can run homebrew and play new games just so you know... and if you didn't don't worry you can still use the downgrader

Cross
October 25th, 2005, 06:46
I know thats the main reason I was willing to let my 1.50 go. (Esp since I want the White Version). So again when it comes out if there is no news of the yellow version coming out I will stick with it.

ataribob
October 25th, 2005, 13:23
I dunno.
I said goodbye to my Sega Nomad-Snes Super Wild card- Genesis system- Game Boy color. Snes system

When I got my PSP

dmauro
October 25th, 2005, 14:45
If it's a choice of only one system of the two, you made the right choice (although I would say for the wrong reasons since Kirby, Ouendan, Band Brothers, Meteos, and Advance Wars are the killer apps).

Cross
October 25th, 2005, 18:11
LOL We each love our own but I will def try those.

I did love the Emulation on my PSP, just look at the work in my review thread but I want to use the system for what it was made for, UMD Games. Untold Legends was PERFECT but not to involving. I wanted more like it and I would never have been willing to wait for a new release but Lunar did it for me. I thought Castlevania was cool but there are a few things I collect:

Metroid
Mega Man (All except for the GBA Battle Net Series)
Zelda (Who doesn't here)
Lunar
Final Fantasy
Chrono Trigger and Cross
Metal Gear Solid

I would have loved to see Tokyo Extreme Racer Zero on my PSP that still is my favorite racing game, I really enjoy it but I wanted more then racing. A FF on the PSP would def be a huge Thumbs Up. So would a good Metal Gear not a Card Game based one, not being able to choke ppl just took all the fun out of it :P . With Mega Man Legends being re-released on the PSP I am Def coming back. (Hoping that it will push the next game of the series to come out on it.)

B_man55
October 26th, 2005, 08:33
I also agree with you Cross. Most of the PSP Fan Boy Bitches that never shut up about how good the PSP is, don't know the roots of video gaming. I support you 100% of the way in your adaption to the DS, and I also offer some advice. Mario 64 is also a great game. It offers hours of gameplay and has a very fun feeling to it. It also is extremly unique and I suggest buying it. You'll be very impressed with Castlevania. Note that there are multiple endings in Castlevania, and a mode where you can play as the Vampire Hunter Julius, just like good ol' classic Castlevania. You'll probably be dissapointed with Lunar as I heard it wasn't very good. You'll probably like it since you're a fan of the others though. The SNES emulator on the DS is great, my friend has it. It's faster than the PSP emulators and can obvioulsy hold alot more games at a cheaper expense. I suggest you look into Mario Kart DS as it will offer some awesome multiplayer modes which may or may not interest you. I personally loved Mario Kart 64, and even old Mario Kart! Metroid Prime Pinball scored an impressive rating for a pinball game, if you like Metroid, which I'm certain you do. Definatley get Hunters as well. If you like RPGs, you'll be happy to know that screenshots for the remade FFIII have been released for the DS and they look impressive. If you want, I'll send you a link. Have fun with your DS, but don't abandon the PSP intirely as a few interesting titles will be realeased later. I also find no interest in it's current games. I'm waiting fror Devil May Cry, and the new Megaman games. I honestly believe that Sony can't produce any good titles, they just lack the knowledge, which is why we have to wait for the 3rd party devs. Have fun!!

Pagnell
October 26th, 2005, 14:42
You know that there is a versian changer that tricks your psp in to thinking its version 2.x yet you still stay at 1.5 so you can run homebrew and play new games just so you know... and if you didn't don't worry you can still use the downgrader

Yep, I have been using these for a few months now. None of them work with GTA though at the moment.

The SNES emulator on the DS is great, my friend has it. It's faster than the PSP emulators......

Not true - I have done a direct comparison. I love my DS though so don't accuse me of being a Sony Fanboy because I'm not.

Cross
October 27th, 2005, 22:11
Well with the reviews I have done on each Emu I will post a review on the SNES one and then compare it to the current PSP Emu I was running tyl ^-^

F9zDark
October 28th, 2005, 08:05
Well good luck to you with your DS, but I'd think you would have saved money(probably alot of money too...) by just buying one, sticking with it and then buying the other, rather than doing the whole trading game trying to get back to where you started...

I don't trade in games simply because I know I may come back to them later on. And if I have to buy it twice, even after trading it in, its just a shit load of lost money. But to each their own. I just hope you pick up to 2.00 PSP so you can at least play homebrew again or downgrade rather than being stuck with 2.50 or whatever firmware they have when you decide to pick it up again.(if you decide to pick it up again).

B_man55
October 28th, 2005, 08:43
Not true - I have done a direct comparison. I love my DS though so don't accuse me of being a Sony Fanboy because I'm not.

Are you 100% sure? My buddy has both handhelds, emulators for both, and says the newest SNES one on the DS is alightly faster, at least for Super Metroid.

Cross
October 28th, 2005, 09:11
Actually since I paid 50.00 for my PSP nope I did not lose money ^-^ All the joy of being a gamestop employee and knowing when to bring in games for the 3 gets you and extra 10.00. I took my Palm Zire 71 and traded it in at a local place called bookmans. I got every cheap PS2/Cube/Xbox game I could that was non-sports and got the trade credit for them plus and extra 10 for every three, it worked out great I only paid 50.00 cash for when I reserved my PSP ^-^

Pagnell
October 28th, 2005, 11:58
Are you 100% sure? My buddy has both handhelds, emulators for both, and says the newest SNES one on the DS is alightly faster, at least for Super Metroid.

There are some games that run slightly (but not much) faster on the DS but overall the PSP SnesTYL emulator is the better of the two. When I say better, I am also taking into account you can run it using the PSPs full screen which obviously blows the DS screen out of the water both in terms of quality and size.

However, I do confess that, at this time, the DS has a better games catalogue overall. Mainly due to Nintendo's experience and skill in producing quality games. I predict the reverse to be the case within a year.

leggy
October 28th, 2005, 15:53
Everyone has their own opinion on what they think is good or bad.

The OP decided to sell his - so what??

At least he has been honest.

Cross
October 28th, 2005, 17:10
Whats OP?

Old Person :P ? Sorry just not familure with that one :D

DraconumPB
October 28th, 2005, 19:17
Lunar sounds really good....

Fortunately my g/f has a DS and I have a PSP so any DS game I wanna play I can just buy and play on her DS =p (I bought it for her anyway, haha...)

I don't blame you. I have NFS: UG, Mercury, and Metal Gear Acid and I never play them. I'm all about the SNES/Genesis right now. (Noiz2SA and Squarez are pretty awesome too.)