PDA

View Full Version : Is the Homebrew channle safe?

Kisses^Hugs
August 4th, 2008, 22:12
Is it safe to use? I know I won't update my Wii *on 3.2* unless it's good.

Also, will Nintendo do anything to me? I've disabled that My Nintendo watching thing, but should I not do the online games?

Also will the classic controller work with the emulators?

CxR2262
August 30th, 2008, 00:25
Once again, a noob who isn't getting an answer because of asking a ridiculous question. Well here's the answer.

Yes, it is safe. I'm running on the latest firmware and have yet to have a single problem. In fact, Nintendo sends me the daily "You've been playing X hours of Y channel." update telling me how long I've used Homebrew along with the official channels. Although Nintendo knows about Homebrew and can see who is running it, and how much, at this point in time they aren't stopping us from doing it. It is safe for this update, and should be for future updates.

If there is a problem it will be dealt with when it arises, but nothing drastic should occur.

VampDude
September 12th, 2008, 23:26
In fact, Nintendo sends me the daily "You've been playing X hours of Y channel." update telling me how long I've used Homebrew along with the official channels.

Nintendo don't send the "Play History" updates, it is actually the console that clocks and makes note of every little detail.

Also, Nintendo cannot see who is running homebrew.

sean.aaron
September 16th, 2008, 12:10
Also, Nintendo cannot see who is running homebrew.

I cannot imagine it would take much tweaking for them to be able to do so. The question is, what action could they take, legally? In some territories bricking your system in reaction to the installation of the Homebrew Channel would be against the law, as long as you weren't using it to run unlicensed software like ROMs for which you didn't own the original game, but could you even prove that without physically entering your home?

Honestly, it's not something I'd be concerned with. Install the Homebrew Channel and have some fun; just be careful with running poorly documented firmware hacks ;-).

Disthron
September 25th, 2008, 13:38
Well, I'm no expert hear but I think the only thing they could really do is void your warranty for messing around with the Wiis insides.

Same as if you had it physically modded, you have tampered with it and that tampering may have caused the fault as opposed to a fault in the manufacturing.

Just my thoughts.

sean.aaron
October 7th, 2008, 11:39
Well, I'm no expert hear but I think the only thing they could really do is void your warranty for messing around with the Wiis insides.

Same as if you had it physically modded, you have tampered with it and that tampering may have caused the fault as opposed to a fault in the manufacturing.

Just my thoughts.

I can confirm this is the case. After borking my machine with AnyRegionChanger being run outwith the HBC, I was informed (and I knew this already) that the repair (in my case replacement of the machine) wouldn't be covered by warranty and it cost me £70. On the plus side I have a new Wii out of it; sadly they didn't copy over any data; just linked it to my shop account.

I plan on installing HBC tonight. As stated above, the HBC isn't the issue, it's what you use it to launch that could be unsafe!