PDA

View Full Version : Edge's Don Mattrick Interview

wraggster
August 5th, 2008, 15:37
* Lips, You're In The Movies and Scene It? Box Office Smash are also aimed at expanding Xbox's reach but they're game types that have already shown considerable success on other formats. Does this show you're not taking too many risks on the software side?
* Don Mattrick: When you say not taking too many risks, I think there's kind of a natural evolution of packaged goods, products and experiences coming to the market - this coming year we estimate there will be about 150 titles on Xbox 360, and the majority will be E-rated. And if you're into M-rated content there will be some spectacular games. I think that breadth of titles naturally expands an audience, and I also think that we're all finding our own sense of identity inside the market. We're leading in terms of hours played - a recent study showed that 18-26-year-olds are roughly spending 75 hours a week with our box, which is pretty amazing. That audience tends to be the leader, it tends to influence younger siblings in a household in terms of what's cool and what's hot in the consumer electronics space.

* What have you taken from the hardware problems Xbox 360 has faced?
* Don Mattrick: Well, I think we built a pretty amazing box. It was unfortunate that we had some hardware challenges but I totally applaud the way the company dealt with that in being up-front and implementing the warranty. It's unfortunate when anything you create fails, but consumers have appreciated the fact we've said: 'This is a mistake, and this is how we're going to fix it'. People continue to use and evangelize about the product even when faced with this challenge, and I think our team's done an amazing job with fixing it.

http://www.edge-online.com/magazine/exclusive-interview-don-mattrick