PDA

View Full Version : Anyone remember this game...

soatari
October 30th, 2005, 04:25
It was on Windows about eight years ago. It was a game very similar to tanks, only you were in space and you used spaceships (derrr). Anyways, you were "attached" to a planet and the battle took place across a solar system. You were able to move from planet to planet (by launching yourself) and when you fire your weapon you had to take into account the size and gravitational pull of the planets so that you could hit your opponent. I thought this was a much better take on the the classic Tanks gamestyle than other clones.

Anyone rememer the name of this game? It's been eating away at me for days now and I can't seem to find anything.

Oh, I mention this because I think it would make a GREAT homebrew game for PSP.

iball
October 30th, 2005, 09:00
I remember this game, but can't for the life of me remember its name.

asterothjames
October 30th, 2005, 11:32
arrgghhh me2 if i find owt ill keep ya informed

iball
October 30th, 2005, 20:42
I think I remember that this one was updated to support internet-play later on.

Zaibach333
October 30th, 2005, 22:21
that would make a great homebrew game, from the sound of it

soatari
October 31st, 2005, 06:09
Took me about two hours of searching but I finally found it!!! WARHEADS!

http://www.warheads.net/index.php

iball
October 31st, 2005, 15:31
Nice find! Now contact the authors using business English (not "g@mer sp33k") and ask them politely if they would consider porting their code for play on the PSP.
Of course, since they would have to use the PSPSDK from ps2dev.org, getting the online functions to work would be a large undertaking. But perhaps they can whip up a single-player game?
Of course they would have to pursuaded to use Fanjita's non-kernel-mode methods for getting it to run via the 2.0 ebootloader. Otherwise it would be a 1.5-only firmware game. Of course, it could be that using the wireless calls from the PSPSDK invokes kernel-mode as well, meaning that implementing infrstructure online multiplayer would force the game to be released for 1.5 only. But there could be "two" versions?
It's worth a shot. Soatari, since you found what you're looking for, why not follow up on it with the WarheadsSE team and see if they'll look at doing it?
I think that in order to expand the PSP homebrew community, people should start contacting the smaller developers and porters out there to see if they can port their existing projects over to the PSP. I'm fairly happy with PSP homebrew right now (expecially the recently updated SCUMMVM port) with the only thing that I would like to see ported over is SegaCD support in one of the already-ported Genesis/MegaDrive emulators and the person working on the Quake 2 port to finish a beta at least for the single-player.
Ahhh...online multiplayer Quake 2 brings back memories of 1999/2000. Played the crap out of that in online deathmatch.

Zaibach333
November 1st, 2005, 04:53
hmmm... indeed, I think small companies might consider leasing some free versions of their games homebrew style. that sound pretty cool

soatari
November 1st, 2005, 07:30
Sent off a somewhat detailed email to the guy in charge over there, and I hope he replies soon. I will keep this thread updated.

Virus
November 1st, 2005, 07:43
It was on Windows about eight years ago. It was a game very similar to tanks, only you were in space and you used spaceships (derrr). Anyways, you were "attached" to a planet and the battle took place across a solar system. You were able to move from planet to planet (by launching yourself) and when you fire your weapon you had to take into account the size and gravitational pull of the planets so that you could hit your opponent. I thought this was a much better take on the the classic Tanks gamestyle than other clones.

Anyone rememer the name of this game? It's been eating away at me for days now and I can't seem to find anything.

Oh, I mention this because I think it would make a GREAT homebrew game for PSP.

THE GAME IS CALLED "ACENDENCY" its a my fav stratagey game ever! its like cilivizations but you pick from many alien races and start at planet and you build ship then go threw the star lines to other galaxies.... blue would go faster then red star lines and you have to destroy the other races or become allies with em! i have that game on my comp right now!

Zaibach333
November 2nd, 2005, 00:26
um.... I dont know, we accomplished that its name was warheads

soatari
November 2nd, 2005, 03:35
THE GAME IS CALLED "ACENDENCY" its a my fav stratagey game ever! its like cilivizations but you pick from many alien races and start at planet and you build ship then go threw the star lines to other galaxies.... blue would go faster then red star lines and you have to destroy the other races or become allies with em! i have that game on my comp right now!

Good guess, but like Zaibach333 said, we already found the game I was talking about.

Yours sounds interesting as well though.

iball
November 2nd, 2005, 03:56
I just wish someone would port over "Trade Wars" from back in the BBS days.
With full online capabilities. Simple text game, but man I killed many hours of my life on it.