PDA

View Full Version : November Top 10 - emu, homebrew apps, games & lua

benn
November 1st, 2005, 16:29
a feature that i think would be good for the site is show the most popular emus and homebrew based on user opinion. please feel free to start adding stuff. this would be really helpful for other people when considering what to DL. so to get the ball rolling...

top 10 emulators:
DGEN
Gameboy colour
SNES 9x (TYL)
RIN
PCEP
NeoGeoCD
PSP UAE
Castaway
ScummVM

top 10 homebrew apps:
PSP-PDA
PSPersonalize
PMP

top 10 homebrew games:
(i haven't used enough to have an opinion - but you must have! add your vote now!)
Doom (not sure if this technically counts but i love it so hey!)

top 10 LUA:
(i haven't used enough to have an opinion - but you must have! add your vote now!)

note to mods: this could easily be inc. thru the back end and just have top 10 tables on the homepage. :D

cancan
November 1st, 2005, 16:45
add in Top 10 Emulators:
RIN
PCEP
SNES 9x TYL

add in Top 10 Homebrew apps:
PSP-PDA
PSPersonalize
PMP

benn
November 1st, 2005, 17:29
cheers mate - they are up.
BTW welcome and congrats on your 1st post!

10shu
November 1st, 2005, 18:24
my top 5 emu
1-neogeocd
2-dgen
3-SNES 9x (TYL)
4-PSP UAE
5-castaway psp

benn
November 1st, 2005, 19:59
thanks mate - they are added.

the only thing with NeoCD is the lack of state save which is really annoying as a lot of NeoCD games have bonus content available when you complete the game - which means you need to do that each time to unlock it.
i also found it a little unstable on quite a few of the agmes. which is an issue as the NeoCD is not exactly brimming with a quality line up. i guess the most important thing is that Metal Slug2 works! love that game. and KOF. though that did blister my thumbs and give me cramp on the PSP!

also the UAE looks a bit naff - i think i played it 2 versions ago and it had loads of excess data on screen (outside of game screen) which just irritated me. though i do love IK+ and Barbarian.
i have not played castaway - not a big fan of the original machine.

DGen is on there as it is gettng awesome with options, cheat codes, saves and now (semi) wi-fi functionality. i loved my genesis/ mega drive so this is right up my street! but i cannot get Krusty Super Fun House to work in any form - has anyone else had any success?

10shu
November 2nd, 2005, 06:09
did you use the latest version of the neocd? i ve completed metal slug and i ve got a stage selection screen now...my main issus with this emulator is the multiplayer...it would be so good to play all thoses fighting game with a friend...:).
also you mention crashing...it never crashed on my psp and i ve played a lot of KOF99 and some other shooting games...are we talking about the same emulator?NeoCDPSP v0.5u4

also try the last version of uae it s much smoother...but the loading are still quite long...cast away run faster than pspuae so it could be an good alternative to play game such as ik+ and barbarian :)

benn
November 2nd, 2005, 11:06
thanks - have not played the latest versions of these emus so will give a crack. especially castaway for IK+ and Barbarian.
i never found the NeoCD crash but i did find some games glitchy, like Ninja Commando (or was it Combat?) where certain sprites would not appear. this occurred on several games, whereas others would not load like AoF1. i will give it another go. my only other moan about NeoCD (you wouldnt think i used to own both Neo systems eh?) is that the files are huge - 50-100MB. that hurts even with a 1GB card! LOL.

10shu
November 2nd, 2005, 17:04
oh yes! that disapering sprite bug on some game such as ninjacommando and last blade as been fix a long time ago...i dunno about art of fighting...the 3rd works however...

for the size yes the game can be big...but there good :)...if you remove the mp3 then it become very small, some game can fit on 1mo(bowling)!!! most of then under 15mo.You can also zip your romz.

and yes i own a neogeo system...<not cd>you can find its quite cheap with some games on electronic seconde hand shop..it s a kick ass machine to play on your TV + the arcade pad is so good...:) NEOGEO rulezzz;)

PSP_Newbie
November 3rd, 2005, 11:08
You can't forget scummvm!
Monkey Island and other scumm-based dos games are classics :D