PDA

View Full Version : been off the scene a while, lost now. Help please.

irdsm
August 10th, 2008, 13:27
Hello.

A while ago (a couple years now maybe 0.0 ) I used to use homebrew and other stuff. I never signed up for this forum, but I did use it as a resource often enough. Anywho, the last time I was on the scene we were loading through GTA:LCS. Then I upgraded and had no way to go back, and just fell outta the scene. Then my psp broke a few months ago, wouldn't turn back on, and I just decided to get a new psp slim. The current firmware is 3.95. I need to use pandoras battery, correct?

Now here is the part I'm confused at, after I get back to 1.50, where do I go? I suppose I want a custom firmware, but which one is the most versatile and will allow me to do the most stuff? Right now my main priorities are A) Running FF7 and B) Homebrew. If I upgrade to http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/psp-custom-firmware-v3-51-m33-68592.html
Will I be able to run FF7 through the psp as is, or do I need to download an emulator? How would I run a ps1 game through it (I don't think I'm breaking any iso rules with that question....)

Thanks guys,
Dan

mike_jmg
August 11th, 2008, 07:20
ok, you do need pandora's battery, you can install a custom firmware right away with despertar del cementerio

Slim cannot go to 1.50, also 1.50 kernel doesn't work on it, but don't worry, most of the homebrew has been ported to the 3.XX kernel

For homebrew and PS1 games any CFW will do.

The PS1 emulator is built-in the Firmware, was made by sony and unlocked by Dark Alex, beautiful isn't it

The PS1 games need to be converted into ebbots, I use a program called "psx2psp" and there was another one called "Icetea", both are good

irdsm
August 17th, 2008, 16:24
Ok, I spent the last couple of days trying to figure it out, but I'm confused endlessly. I've downloaded the latest dark alex downgrader/unbricker and have the folder on my psp with the official firmware 4.01 like it says in the readme. However, if I am correct, it deletes and rewrites EXTREMELY important things when I run it, so I need to backup this stuff somehow. I have no clue how though. Also, the only thing I understand from the readme is to put the firmware 4.01 with a file in the game folder of the psp, which I have done. Everything else is gibberish to me.

Also
ok, you do(n't?) need pandora's battery, you can install a custom firmware right away with despertar del cementerio is that a typo? Because it seems to contradict itself. Do I only need despertar del cementerio or what? Also, if I run the latest (4.01) dark alex custom firmware can I still play 3.XX homebrews? I figure that if I get a higher custom firmware I can play newer official games....

Dan

Sonicboy 101
August 17th, 2008, 16:33
Despertar del cementerio is Pandora basically, you will definitely need to use it.
If you have a Pandora's battery, you can create the Magic Memory Stick with a program such as U.P.T and use it then. If you don't, you can make the battery yourself or buy one.

Eviltaco64
August 17th, 2008, 18:29
Yeah, you can buy a TOOL battery off the Internet for about $25 or you can buy a regular battery and cut a leg off of a chip on the inside of the battery.

irdsm
August 23rd, 2008, 05:30
OKay, I turned my phat battery into a tool battery physically (I have vista, so it was the only cheap option, and I don't really need it) and I did it right. (BTW, it appears that my phat psp is not broken, but bricked. It turned on when I inserted the tool battery)

I installed upt v4 onto my computer and used that on my psp (I chose 3.71 m33). I held the L trigger and put the battery in. It opened up the program and I pressed the R trigger to make a nand dump and whatever else it was. Then after that when I chose to instal the custom firmware it said "cannot decrypt common tables" and turned off. I tried it again and it did the same thing. it will no longer turn on normally. I'm trying to keep calm, but HELP please.

Dan

Edit: accidentally put 2.71 in when I meant 3.71 m33

irdsm
August 24th, 2008, 21:34
I was able to install the 3.80 m33 instead of the 3.71, and when the psp froze every time I started a battle in ff7, I upgaed to th 4.01 m33 and am now able to run ff7 perfectly along with snesxtyl and several homebrew games. I could use some suggestions for homebrew games, but other than that I'm happy. Thanks guys!

Dan