PDA

View Full Version : Confused

jimbear
November 11th, 2005, 01:02
I'm confused with all the Versions i've heard about,i live in the UK and am getting a PSP but can't find out any info on which version PSP i need..help :confused:

iball
November 11th, 2005, 01:14
If you're technically-inclined, go with 2.0 and either downgrade to 1.5 or use Fanjita's 2.0 ebootloader to run homebrew.
If you're not technically-inclined, immediately upgrade to 2.5, remove this website URL from your favorites, and just play UMD games and movies.

J420
November 11th, 2005, 01:21
Hi there,

PSP Versions - There are I believe several versions of PSP available 1.0, 1.5, 1.51,2.0, and 2.5 basically all these are different versions of the PSPs operating system alot like windows really.

2.0 is the most popular and widespread here in the UK, If you want to run homebrew I would ideally say try and find a 1.5 or 1.0 version (you may have to import these)

You could buy a 2.0 and downgrade the PSPs operating sytem but I wouldnt recomend it for a beginner as it can be a pain to keep moving between the PSPs operating system for games use and there is also a risk of messing up the PSP PERMANTLY.

Well I hope this info helped and I'm sure other guys on the forum will point you in the right direction to :)

jimbear
November 11th, 2005, 01:23
most def not tech inclined where the PSP is concerned, know little about them & after reading some of the comments on the board am getting concerned as to if i should get one at all....

jimbear
November 11th, 2005, 01:27
Thanx to both of you for your help, not sure what homebrew is but sure to find out.

J420
November 11th, 2005, 01:29
The PSP is well worth your hard earned cash, yes I admit all this homebrew/downgading etc can be a bit scary at times, I was a complete beginner like you a few months ago but this board has really helped!!

But as Iball said if your not technically inclined update to 2.5 and just enjoy UMDs and games, if youere adventurous and want to unlock the huge possibilities that that the PSP has then jump on the band wagon :)

J420
November 11th, 2005, 01:31
Homebrew is basically non Sony related (official) software that hackers or coders use to create programs for the PSP ie -Megadrive and Snes Emulators and the Downgrader which I mentioned in my last few replys and again howbrew opens up a huge new world on the PSP

jimbear
November 11th, 2005, 01:34
without sounding more stupid than i already do, when i go to buy one do i just get the machine and update online or what....so confused

J420
November 11th, 2005, 01:48
Ask as many questions as you like mate we've all been there :)

When you get your PSP if you can find one as there in quite short reply here in the UK at the minute, you will get the PSP,32mb memory stick,wrist starp, soft carry and case and quite possibly a demo disc, you can check which operating system you have by going into the PSPs Systems Settings and then into System information and it should tell you which version you have.

In order to upgrade you can find updates on Sonys official site or on some PSP game or UMD discs, Remember thoogh if you upgrade past 2.0 you will not be able to run homebrew software.

PSP_Newbie
November 11th, 2005, 04:14
if you are unsure, you can just get it and stay at the current version and decide later what to do, as its unecessary to upgrade or downgrade or whatever

jimbear
November 11th, 2005, 10:27
:) thnx for the info, really helpful. Feel better about getting one now :D

MCNick
November 24th, 2005, 10:18
so let me get this straight
if i got an psp v 2.5 i can never but homebrew on it.
or donwgrade but what can i do than??