PDA

View Full Version : Reggie Speaks About Zelda Movie

wraggster
November 19th, 2005, 11:57
Just after The Hylia did a feature on the possibility of a Zelda film, Reggie Fils-Aime spoke to Club Nintendo, a Mexican publication equivalent to Nintendo Power, about the Big N's plans for their franchises on the silver screen. Plans that include The Legend of Zelda, and the production apparently will be handled by Nintendo itself.

Reggie said that Nintendo plans to produce an adaptation of the Metroid franchise for the silver screen, although he gave no other details as to the production schedule, budget or cast and crew. Reggie followed up by saying the Zelda series would be next in line, and then possibly another Mario feature film. Although this information was featured in Club Nintendo, Mexico and Europe are traditionally behind in gaming news, so one might think the information is sketchy. However, the subscriber area of the Club Nintendo site (Mexico's official Nintendo site) has a video of the interview with Reggie and a transcript as well, which leads one to believe this is legit.

Hopefully sometime soon, possibly at E3, Nintendo will elaborate on these projects and give us more details. It should also be assumed that Nintendo legally took back the rights from John Woo's production company for the Metroid franchise, since John Woo's company had purchased the rights to bring Metroid to the silver screen nearly a year ago. Most fans should probably be happy that if there is going to be a Zelda movie, it is Nintendo that will be handling it. But Final Fantasy fans will be quick to point out that the creator of Final Fantasy, Hironobu Sakagutchi, headed up Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within and it still did poorly. Others believe the Metroid movie is to counter the upcoming Halo production, which is being headed up by Academy-Award winning director Peter Jackson. Perhaps a movie war is brewing between the video game giants?

Cap'n 1time
November 22nd, 2005, 15:08
I really cant see a Zelda or Metroid film... but thats just me. At least if nintendo handles it themselves they wont get a complete flop like the mario brothers film.

XDelusion
December 15th, 2005, 07:55
I can totally see a video game company getting into films. It was only a matter of time considering how well some of these companies tell stories, and develope there characters, etc. I've always been amazed at how some games really keep your interest even though the gameplay may be basic, or dull.
Take Final Fantasy 1 for example. If you look at it, you really didn't have to use much strategy back on the old NES version. You basically walked around, went where you were told, and planned your battles wisely until your experienced raised. What got me though, was that mid game, all my characters looked different. I was 14 then, and it excited the hell out of me.
I eventually came to time travel, interacted with the dragons, and discovered that the archeologists had dug up an ancient rocket ship...

Now Imagine a movie with a thick script like that, one that switches up on you without any clues! You are watching something like Lord of the Rings, then suddenlythe movie characters run into Technology full force!!!

I just hope that Nintendo does not choose to cast big stars, or rather, familiar faces, and instead uses either the anime/computer anime route, or all unknowns for actors, or only Japanese people! ;)
I'm rather tired of how everything is main stream and carries logos, catch frazes, and popular culture (all created by the powers that be to advert your attention, and collect your money... back), it would be nice to see a movie that tries to tell a story like a Novel does, as opposed to a movie that is in actuallity a long commercial, candy coated and disguised as a movie by a bunch of door knobs who get paid to jerk off basically (pardon the french), hence the plot holes and lack of depth.

The best to Nintendo, hopefully they don't cheese out on us, hopefully some of the "Eastern" Wisdom found in there games passes on to there movies.

thaive
December 21st, 2005, 07:30
there isn't gonig to be a zelda movie - the mag wrote it wrong - ninty cleared this up