PDA

View Full Version : Possible crack for 2.0?

Terial
November 22nd, 2005, 21:10
An idea came to me just now as i was driving home. And i'm going out on a limb here and assuming a few things.

NOTE: FIRMWARE and firmware are capitilazed differently to indicate a difference between firmware software and actual FIRMWARE stored on the PSP's hardware.

On firmware version 1.0, on the PSP's FIRMWARE, there is a file/code that launches EBOOTs off the memory stick w/o verifying it's authentication. we'll call this the 1.0CA F/C (1.0 Code Activation File/Code)

On firmware version 2.0, on the PSP's FIRMWARE, is stored a file/code that launches EBOOTs off the memory stick and verifies that it is digitally signed by sony before fully loading said EBOOTs. we'll call this the 2.0CA F/C.

Well, I know there is a virus out there that flashes the PSP's FIRMWARE (the actual FIRMWARE, the memory stored on the PSP's hardware) and then cuts the power off in the middle of the flashing, and corrupts the data, so it's possible to flash the firmware w/ code.

WELLLLLLL, how about flashing the FIRMWARE chip that contains the 2.0CA F/C on a 2.0 PSP, with the same files stored on that chip, only replacing the 2.0CA F/C with the 1.0CA F/C?

This may not work for 3 reasons that i can think of,

1. Kernel mode may be needed to flash the FIRMWARE.

2. The file/code (if there is any, im sure there is) that launches said 2.0CA F/C will not launch the 1.0CA F/C.

3. I'm a complete dumbass when it comes to this, lol.

well, with problem no. 1, .... Fanjita needs to get kernel mode running in order to make this work!

problem 2. Simply replace the file/code that launches the 2.0CA F/C with the file/code from 1.0 that launches the 1.0CA F/C. using the method above except concerning the FIRMWARE chips/code/files that have the 2.0CA F/C launching data on them.

and no.3, there's no fix for that

Maybe someone can make this work? It WON'T be me, lol. but if anyone does actually do it... could ya... idk credit me? rofl, like it would actually work.

2.5 may be supported by this too if homebrew can be exploited anytime soon.

Any comments? shooting down my hopes? praise? murder? laughs? anything would be appreciated excluding flames! but... just in case... *puts on flame retartant suit* go ahead!

xuphorz
November 23rd, 2005, 02:28
not possible, i asked a similar questrion downgrading 1.50 to 1.00 back a while ago (when 1.0 was the only one that could run emu's)
everyone back then said no, so i'd expect the same with this version swap

Terial
November 23rd, 2005, 02:58
BAH! *headesk*