PDA

View Full Version : Net booting the DC?

Jai
November 23rd, 2005, 10:57
I recently replaced my old broken Dreamcast, and I've been wondering about ways to keep it from wearing out again. The last one's CD motor died, from playing too much PSO and other games with a lot of spin up and spin down. Or at least I think so anyway.
Having looked around the various utilities recently, I came across DC Hakker, and it occured to me that perhaps there might be a similar piece of software that could remain memory resident in the DC and read in from a networked PC (using BBA or network adapter) any file the Dreamcast wants to read. Hope I explained that properly.
Basically, I'm wondering if it's possible to do the equivelant of mounting a share in Windows and running software directly off the network. Though I think it would be better/easier if this program -- if it is even possible -- were to read files from a properly configured HTTP/FTP/TFTP server.
Anyway. Is this possible, anyone?

Oh, the benefit of all this, by the way, would be that ideally, the Dreamcast would read this small program off a CD once on boot, and then not use the disk any more after that, thus making it last longer.

Meshuggah27
December 3rd, 2005, 10:24
Sounds like a great idea. Sure hope someone can help us out on this one :(