PDA

View Full Version : Screen Problem

forcystos
August 28th, 2008, 15:38
My PSP (Slim, 4.01 M33-2) has no display. It is not bricked, as I can load the recovery menu the XMB, and games/applications (homebrew, ISOs, and UMDs). I can hear clicks and sounds from controls and games. At first I thought it was the LCD. I was convinced otherwise when I (blindly) set up RemoteJoy and connected successfully. I could control the PSP with the keyboard, but got no display on RemoteJoy.

Does this mean there is any setting which is disabling the display or anything of the sort? I tried DC7, formatting the memory stick, restoring default settings, and restoring flash1 from the recovery menu.

tinman
August 28th, 2008, 16:28
My PSP (Slim, 4.01 M33-2) has no display. It is not bricked, as I can load the recovery menu the XMB, and games/applications (homebrew, ISOs, and UMDs). I can hear clicks and sounds from controls and games. At first I thought it was the LCD. I was convinced otherwise when I (blindly) set up RemoteJoy and connected successfully. I could control the PSP with the keyboard, but got no display on RemoteJoy.

Does this mean there is any setting which is disabling the display or anything of the sort? I tried DC7, formatting the memory stick, restoring default settings, and restoring flash1 from the recovery menu.

Did you mess your your NAND (themes, flash something you didn't understand)? Could this be a hardware problem? (dropped PSP) Do you get a display in service mode? (DC7) If so.

1st try this: (If you get a display in DC7, and the recovery menu)

Boot into the recovery menu, that works
Exit into the installed 4.01-M33-2
Press the display button

[Home] [-] [+] |_______PSP______| [Display] [music Note] [Select] [Start]

Try this 2nd:

Shut down your PSP
Remove battery
Remove memory card
Power the PSP on with your A/V Adaptor

!!!NOTE IF YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND ANY PART OF THIS DO NOT CONTINUE!!!

!!!NOTE THIS WILL RENDER DRM UNUSABLE!!!

!!!READ ALL README'S FOR SOFTWARE!!!

Try this LAST:

Make a full NAND backup with NANDTool 0.4 (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=138683)
Copy it to a safe place off of your PSP
Boot NANDTool again, restore the NAND image you just made
Boot DC7
NAND Operations
Format lflash (don't change the partition sizes)
IDStorage, and re-generate a new IDStorage
Install M33
Shut down
Remove battery
Remove memory card
Power the PSP on with your A/V Adaptor

If that fails, restore your NAND backup with NANDTool 0.4.

forcystos
August 28th, 2008, 16:50
Thanks for your help, tinman.

I did install a theme, but it worked perfectly fine. This problem happened long after that. The PSP has not sustained any (considerable) physical damage, and has been tested to fully work after each time. Finally, no, neither recovery mode or service mode give a display. I will try your other solutions once I find my charger...

EDIT: I just remembered... How am I going to mess with NAND if I can't see the screen? At least when it comes to installing a simple plugin, I can attempt to install it blindly (as I did with RemoteJoy), but trying this with NAND is too risky.

carlitx
August 28th, 2008, 19:53
same thing happened with my old psp, the back light went.

carlitx
August 29th, 2008, 23:47
more information required

what the fluck?

forcystos
September 1st, 2008, 16:00
OK. I attempted every method tinman posted, with no success. Does this mean the PSP suffered physical damage and I will have to replace it's LCD?

carlitx
September 1st, 2008, 16:21
I doubt you'll need to replace the whole LCD, just the back light. My advice, get a new PSP like i did lol.

Wally
September 2nd, 2008, 09:32
Perhaps putting the PSP up to some light, see if its working.

Slims are nearly a year old, claim it under warranty (take it back to the store)

Wally

forcystos
September 4th, 2008, 21:22
Would it make any difference if I said the backlight completely works? The screen is lighted and I can toggle between the various brightness settings.

Wally
September 4th, 2008, 22:48
Would it make any difference if I said the backlight completely works? The screen is lighted and I can toggle between the various brightness settings.

Still worth a try to see if the brightness settings are working in the XMB, pandora overrides the IPL.

Do as tinman suggested afterwards if you cant see any changes.

Wally

forcystos
September 4th, 2008, 23:39
I already said I did everything tinman said...