PDA

View Full Version : 4.01 M33 Homebrew/Emulators

Runefox
August 30th, 2008, 20:17
I just got a Pandora's Battery and homebrewed my PSP Slim, and I'm loving every minute of it. But I'm having trouble running certain emulators and games (I realize the 1.5-compiled games/emus won't run)... Has anyone had better success than I in this regard? I've searched around for some alternatives and later versions, but I haven't had much success. Here are a few of the failing apps:

-e[mulator] (Locks up on browsing to the ROMs folder; Shuts off PSP)
-Duke Nukem 3D (Corrupt Data icon)
-PSPSSH (Goes to connect, then reboots PSP)
-Portable VNC (Goes to connect, then reboots PSP)
-MAME4ALL (Loads game, then locks up/shuts down PSP)
-iR Shell (Corrupt Data icon)
-Xandu's Media Player (Cannot Start Game / 1.50; Is there a CFW-compatible version?)

Wally
August 31st, 2008, 01:45
Duke Nukem 3D is ported to the slim by Chilly Willy
IRshell - what do you want IRshell for o_O Instead of putting the stuff in the game3xx folder put it in GAME401 otherwise it wont work.

As for the rest, well.. We'll see.

Wally

Runefox
August 31st, 2008, 22:40
Do you have a link for that Duke Nukem 3D port? I haven't been able to come across one, but will look for that name and see what turns up.

As for IRshell, I want that mostly for its ability to multitask, but I've read a little more into it and it appears they aren't going to release any newer versions compatible with firmware beyond 3.80 (3.90 with a hack).

p1220drs
August 31st, 2008, 22:59
I just got a Pandora's Battery and homebrewed my PSP Slim, and I'm loving every minute of it. But I'm having trouble running certain emulators and games (I realize the 1.5-compiled games/emus won't run)... Has anyone had better success than I in this regard? I've searched around for some alternatives and later versions, but I haven't had much success. Here are a few of the failing apps:

Are you using TimeMachine or eLoader?

Runefox
September 1st, 2008, 04:57
Well, as I said, I only just did the homebrew, so no, I haven't tried TimeMachine or eLoader (which from what I can tell is for older FW's), though I've given them a glance or two while setting everything up. I hadn't thought that Time Machine would be useful, but I now see how I can use it effectively. Just soft-mod my slim battery to a Pandora's Battery (the one I bought is too large), set up my memory stick and go nuts. Should be interesting.

p1220drs
September 1st, 2008, 05:21
Well, as I said, I only just did the homebrew, so no, I haven't tried TimeMachine or eLoader (which from what I can tell is for older FW's), though I've given them a glance or two while setting everything up. I hadn't thought that Time Machine would be useful, but I now see how I can use it effectively. Just soft-mod my slim battery to a Pandora's Battery (the one I bought is too large), set up my memory stick and go nuts. Should be interesting.

TimeMachine and eLoader are not really for older CFW's, there for Slims. If you had a Phat you could just install the 1.50 Kernel addon and your problems would be solved, but since you have a Slim the 1.50 kernel aint gonna help ya. Slims dont even use the GAME150 folder.

To use TimeMachine you would have to have the proper files then hold the L shoulder pad while booting, and you have to use a Pandora Class Battery while doing so. This would boot the PSP into TimeMachine's 1.50/3.40 hybrid CFW. This allows the Slim to run 1.50 games/apps.

To use eLoader you dont have to boot into a hybrid CFW, or use a Pandora, just start eLoader under the game menu and select the game/app you wanna run. Only problem is that you have to place your games/apps in the right folder or they wont run and even then their icons still show up under the game menu and you still can use them directly, you have to use eLoader and put up with icons in the game menu that you cant access.

btw, you're not doing homebrew, you're installing CFW... :D

Runefox
September 1st, 2008, 05:59
I installed CFW, but I'm running homebrew apps, so therefore I consider that the same thing. I'm no developer by any means, so in that context, you're right.

Anyway, I've installed Time Machine, and it seems to be working great. I've tried Xandu's Media Player and it runs without any issues. I'll give NesterJ a shot and see what happens. I've noticed that it doesn't see the GAME150 folder, which means I need to put everything into the GAME folder... Clutter. But at least it'll work! Well, hopefully.

p1220drs
September 1st, 2008, 06:47
Ya, Slims dont like the GAME150 folder. If for some weird reason anyone would want to downgrade (yuk), the lowest you could get a Slim would be 3.40. Hence the 3.40/1.50 hybrid CFW that TimeMachine uses.

BTW, I put NesterJ in the Game4XX folder and it runs great without the use of TimeMachine or eLoader. It might work in the GAME folder but I'm now sure, I havent tried it...

:thumbup: Have fun...

Runefox
September 1st, 2008, 07:02
Thanks, I know this has certainly made my PSP much, much more useful than it ever has been (longer battery life, fine control over clock speeds (75MHz is great for music and 133MHz is great for the XMB in general), being able to bring my collection of NES/Genesis/GBA/etc games with me and being able to bring my PSX games with me =D Not to mention YouTube/Veoh and not having to swap UMD's and risk damaging them on the go!). The day I got my Pandora's Battery, I didn't put the thing down until the next morning. XD

p1220drs
September 1st, 2008, 07:12
The recommended VSH settings are:
cpu clock xmb : 333/166
cpu clock game : 266/133
usb device : memory stick
umd iso mode : sony np9660
iso video mount : none

But these can be changed to better suit you if need be, its just a good, all-around configuration...

Runefox
September 1st, 2008, 08:03
I can't seem to get a version of NesterJ running that supports Zipped ROMs (only got 1.11 RM working)... That's a major problem for me due to space constraints, and makes e[mulator] seem very attractive, if only it would work instead of locking up the PSP when I browse to the ROM folder. I think it's because I have too many ROMs in there, but this particular folder has 772 files, which it really shouldn't have any issue with...

Just out of curiosity, what are the differences between Normal, M33 Driver, Sony NP9660 and OE isofs?

EDIT: Nevermind, I found a version of NesterJ (1.10) that runs fine and has ZIP support.

Wally
September 1st, 2008, 10:47
The recommended VSH settings are:
cpu clock xmb : 333/166
cpu clock game : 266/133
usb device : memory stick
umd iso mode : sony np9660
iso video mount : none

But these can be changed to better suit you if need be, its just a good, all-around configuration...

Why set the CPU clock to 333/166 in the XMB? leave it as normal, you'll save battery that way.

Wally