PDA

View Full Version : Is or will Sega CD or 32x emulation be possible?

jwilds73
November 28th, 2005, 01:29
Ok as a big Sega fan and retro gamer I love the Sega Genesis and its addon's like the Sega CD and 32X even the bulky Nomad. Will it be possible to emulate Sega CD's or 32X games? I got to get my (Original Sega CD) Lunar fix via my PSP.

shwink
November 28th, 2005, 07:36
at the moment no, its mostly due to the amount of mhz the thing requires, mind you the genesis hasnt reached fully speed on psp yet, the sega cd togehter would be alot tougher to pull of on 333mhz as i mentioned since both processor of the genesis and sega cd must be emulated in sync.

jwilds73
November 28th, 2005, 18:04
Yeah I think the code needs to be optimized for the psp. It seems like the 333mhz is a workaround for the code not being optimized for the psp yet. I imagine once the code is right these emulators could run at full speed at the base 222mhz freeing up more processor cycles to use for other features such as the cd emulation etc. Of course I don't know anything about programming just my assumption's here.

Terial
November 29th, 2005, 02:02
The genesis emulator, i doubt could work fully on 222Mhz. that's with 44Khz sound emulation and 60 FPS. I'm sure however that genesis could easily be emulated at around 266Mhz.

If we could figure out how to use the PSPs GPU and not run everything through complete software... the FPS of all emulators would skyrocket. however... no one has yet to figure this out.

Optomization isnt exactly a HUGE deal on older system emulation today, as we have very powerful PCs with overclocking/dual-cored/up to 4000Mhz processors to make up for the unoptimized code.
I'm not saying that coders dont optimize their code, im just saying that they take PC technology's power and use it too far to their advantage.

not hatin on the coders! i love my emus!

jwilds73
November 29th, 2005, 06:03
After the new year I'll be getting a GPX2. It seems like this system is built and designed around homebrew. I really hope that the emulators can be designed to work well with its hardware and not as "forced" as the psp is. One thing I really love is getting to play games that were never available in the USA that have been translated into english. So many RPG's never made it over here and the love these people have for them to go to all the trouble of translating them is great.