PDA

View Full Version : Ripping VCD's

TAPION
November 29th, 2005, 13:42
I know how to rip DVDs, is it possible to rip VCD's?

Jdemon
November 30th, 2005, 04:51
Hmmm, I thought VCD's usually aren't the type of quality that you would rip. I mean considering you would need to process it again to an MP4. When you put the VCD in your PC what kind of files are on it? I've never used VCD myself, so I don't know exactly what they are. If it's just an MPG you could just drag + drop it to your hard drive and convert.

MGFox
November 30th, 2005, 08:58
It is possible to rip VCDs, but the method is different to ripping a DVD.

With the VCD in the drive browse to a folder called something like "MPEGAV", this folder will contain one or more DAT files, these are the tracks on the VCD (e.g. one DAT file = one track, ten DAT files = ten tracks etc...).

All the DAT files are are MPEG video files with MPG1 video and MP2 audio...you should be able to use these DAT files with most video Encoders/Decoders like VirtualDub, or if not then write an AVS script as DirectShow will easily recognise it.

If you have any more problems or questions, feel free to ask.

Cheers,
Fox

Jdemon
November 30th, 2005, 13:46
If that's the case you might be able to use VirtualDub to create one avi/mpeg out of them. Out of each set I mean Vidio/Audio.

MGFox
November 30th, 2005, 14:38
Of all the VCDs I've got, the only ones that have multiple DAT files are for an Intro Screen or some Pre-Movie Trailers. The Main Feature is always one giant DAT, about 550mb...you can't miss it :D

The only joining required is generally due to the Movie being split over multiple CD's (Titanic's on THREE DISCs :eek: , no it's not mine :rolleyes: ). Unfortunately, VirtualDub will only stitch AVI files together, you'll either need to find a MPG Joiner, of which there are many, or write an AVS script...or convert them to AVIs one at a time, and then stitch them, thats not recommended though 'cos of bit-rate synchronising!

Cheers,
Fox

TAPION
November 30th, 2005, 16:54
WTF, ive ripped the DAT file from the VCD and into virtualDub. But when I save the file as a .AVI the output file is about 4GB aand the input file was around 250mb.

MGFox
November 30th, 2005, 18:28
That'll depend on what compression codec is being applied video and audio, what settings are you using?

Is the DAT file going into VirtualDub OK? i.e. can you see the film in the preview windows?

Cheers,
Fox

TAPION
December 1st, 2005, 11:41
Yep, I go into virtual dub and click file/open videofile and then the file is imported into the software and yes I can see the video on both screens. Also which compression codec should I be using to keep the output file the same size as the input file?

bill00000
December 1st, 2005, 17:40
That's about the size of an uncompressed AVI. Go to the video menu and select compession. There will be a list of all the codecs you have installed. For compatibility, go with Divx or Xvid. Put it on full processing mode, and away you go! That 4gb avi will probably work straight into psp video 9 as well...

Edit: I think I combined two peoples posts, and didn't end up answering any questions. Don't pay any attention to me

MGFox
December 1st, 2005, 21:19
bill00000: No worries dude, you actually expanded on my answer which will have helped...I was kinda being vague 'cos he said "I know how to rip DVDs", therefore I assumed he had knowledge about compression codecs and so forth.

TAPION: As bill stated, to convert your VCD (or any video) to AVI and get the best compression ration, you wanna be using DivX!

If you can accept using WMV, I'm getting some impressive results while messing about with the Windows Media 9 Encoder, which may be worth a shot!

Another thought I had (inspired by bill)...Does this PSP Video 9 thingy accept MPG input? If so just try using the DAT file with that, probably the easiest method!

Cheers,
Fox

EDIT: I've just read my post and I've realised that I'm flat-out assuming you people are Male!!...if you are not Male, I did not mean any offence, this is my mental defect where I can't picture Females around anything technological!

TAPION
December 2nd, 2005, 21:16
thats cool, am a dude. I give it a shot :D