PDA

View Full Version : The Ultimate Psp Faq

Cap'n 1time
December 1st, 2005, 21:13
THE ULTIMATE PSP HOMEBREW FAQ

DO NOT ASK QUESTIONS IN THIS THREAD. THEY WILL BE DELETED!

Hello. I am tired of seeing people asking the same questions constantly. I decided to compile a list of the answeres to these over asked questions... If you think of a topic, hit CTRL F and search of the name. Hopefully you will see the answere to your topic. Also feel free to add to/update this list as things change.

Why do this when there are 1000 FAQs out there? Well, no one reads them. It might be easy to just point to one thread.

Firmware information
Q: What firmwares can run homebrew programs?
A: Currently (as of Dec 1, 2005) only versions 1.00, 1.50, and 2.00 (which is slightly limited) can run homebrew programs.

Q: Where can I download old firmware releases?
A: I do not think we offer thoes files at dcemu. Google is always a great place to start.

Q: How do I run homebrew programs with my PSP?
A:
1.00 - you just run em.
1.50 - usually now most packages come with a 1.0 and 1.50 version. The 1.50 version uses two folders. Both are placed in the PSP\Game folder. One folder has a normal name (Example: snes9x_tyl) and one folder has a % in its name (Example: snes9x_tyl%).
2.00 - The version 2.00 hack runs best with a unmodified 1.00 file. Read more about the 2.00 hack in the 2.00 section.

Q: What about 2.50 and ...
A: THEY DO NOT CURRENTLY RUN HOMEBREW! It is being looked at by people all over the world. There is no telling if or when you will be able to load homebrew with it.

ISO 's, Loader 's, and ROM 's
Q: What does my (insert name here) loader do?
A: LOADERS ARE NOT TO BE DISCUSSED ON THIS SITE! For the most part, they only have illegal uses. DCemu.co.uk does not tolerate any WAREZ discussion at all. Your topics on this subject WILL be locked and you may risk being banned.

Q: Where do I download ISO's or loaders?
A: Your topic is locked and you may be banned.

Q: What is a ROM?
A: (source = wikipedia)
The contents of video game console ROM cartridges can be extracted with special software, creating files known as "ROM images" for use in emulators. Illegal distribution and trade of these "ROM images" is hugely popular in software piracy circles, where the files are commonly referred to as "roms" (or even "romz", which has a connotation with "warez") even though the term is technically incorrect. The term is so widespread that it has even started to refer to computer games that do not come on ROM cartridges, but instead on floppy disks or CD-ROMs. Usage of such files usually is a violation of copyright or sui generis mask work rights unless your jurisdiction has a fair use protection. Many people believe that games that are no longer sold by official companies should be allowed for download, as the company would not suffer profit loss.

Q: Where do I get ROMs?
A: There are PD (public domain) rom images that are legal to download. Check out PDroms.com.

More to come...

Please feel free to add to this FAQ.

DO NOT ASK QUESTIONS IN THIS THREAD. THEY WILL BE DELETED!

This wont be stickied untill it becomes more usefull.

Jdemon
December 2nd, 2005, 00:42
Excelent idea 1timeuser :D

I wrote this on a thread the other day. It's for MAME 97 but it certainly applies accross the board for Emu or Homebrew that need to be converted for 1.5. If you think it doesn't belong here I understand, but I think for people who are actually trying to learn about EBOOT.PBP it could be helpfull.

FROM 1.0 TO 1.5 "HOW TO"

This is the "MANUAL" way to do it..I know there are a few "tools" out there
that can do it also...but this may actually help people to understand the process.

I will use the MAME 97 DE version as an example, and using MDE as the folder name for the emulator.

Extract the contents of the archive to a "new folder"
You should have the following contents
menu.bmp
EBOOT.PBP
readme.txt

Other HB/EMU may have more/less files, the EBOOT.PBP is
the one you need to "re-build" whatever else there is will
most times go in the folder without the "%". I recomend
checking your "readme" files since some HB/EMU also
place folders in the ROOT Directory, and not just the
GAME folder.

In the same folder create 2 more folders:
MameDE%
MameDE
or if you want to hide the corrupt data:
MDE1~1%
MDE(30 spaces)1
****PLEASE NOTE****
Some Homebrew/Emus may not load correctly when you
attempt to use the "hide corrupt" method. If you are
getting a loading error this may be the reason or you
didn't name the folder 100% correctly.

Use PBP Unpacker (http://www.pdc.me.uk/pbp/)
to extract the following files from the EBOOT.PBP
PARAM.SFO
ICON0.PNG
DATA.PSP

[Start the program "Open" the EBOOT.PBP "Extract" the files]

Create a folder and name it "roms"
Delete the EBOOT.PBP file and rename the DATA.PSP file to EBOOT.PBP
and now put the following files into either the MameDE or the MDE(30 spaces)1 folder
EBOOT.PBP
roms (folder)
menu.bmp

Using PBP Unpacker, Select "new"
Drag and Drop the ICON0.PNG and PARAM.SFO to there designated load spaces
on PBP Unpacker or click on the tabs there and load them that way.
Now click "save" and you will create another EBOOT.PBP
Place this one in the Folder with the %

Your 2 folders are now set, aside from adding roms and copying to your MS card
(you can delete the ICON0.PNG and PARAM.SFO that are left over)