PDA

View Full Version : wallpapers! the silent killer?

*o*
December 3rd, 2005, 21:55
whenever you put a wallpaper on in 2.0> you are writing to the fregistry! this means if you do it too many times your psp will wear out? also as proof when you downgrade and then look through the bios with file assistant or one of those programs there is still that wallpaper....this is bad very bad! this means that you are writing to the registry and in theory if someone was able to put some kind of code into an image you could use the wallpaper function to brick your psp...

but the question i pose is: is writing to to the registry too often with wallpapers dangerous?

motormaniac
December 3rd, 2005, 22:06
really? i dont believe it.

*o*
December 3rd, 2005, 23:12
im saying its possible...the what if scenario

motormaniac
December 3rd, 2005, 23:19
hey do u know how to get umds on pcs? i know it s off subject

xuphorz
December 4th, 2005, 00:47
on my pc, i've changed my registry probly thousands of times, so why would it screw up a psp?

also, *o*, you're right, som eone could probly easily do the brick thing

@motormaniac - don't ask those questions in these forums

motormaniac
December 4th, 2005, 02:05
i mean UMDs not umds, u know, get the iso on a comp and play it on there.

Jdemon
December 4th, 2005, 03:06
Well, I believe when you are using PSP Personalise (<2.0) you should be overwriting the files. They are always named 01-12.bmp. What you are seeing on the registry should just be a record of the instalation/overwrite if I'm not mistaken. As far as the posibility of a bricking situation...well one more reason to learn how to make your own wallpapers :D

motormaniac #1 there are no PSP Emulators at the present time.
#2 you need to read the rules before you post or you may suffer the consequences

Cap'n 1time
December 4th, 2005, 06:43
i mean UMDs not umds, u know, get the iso on a comp and play it on there.

on this site you dont discuss things like this (its kind of an edgy subject as it could be use for illegal activities).... and this isnt currently possible to play commercial PSP games on your PC anyways.

Jman0708
December 4th, 2005, 17:20
yeh acually ur rite wen u take a memory card outa uir psp to switch or no memory stick the backround was saved on the hard disk on the psp so techinqully wen u downgrade to 1.5 u gotta be carfull even if its sucessfull wen u play games carfull cause dat mite **** ur psp up

Jman0708
December 4th, 2005, 17:20
weird idnt it

Fanjita
December 5th, 2005, 13:57
whenever you put a wallpaper on in 2.0> you are writing to the fregistry! this means if you do it too many times your psp will wear out? also as proof when you downgrade and then look through the bios with file assistant or one of those programs there is still that wallpaper....this is bad very bad! this means that you are writing to the registry and in theory if someone was able to put some kind of code into an image you could use the wallpaper function to brick your psp...

but the question i pose is: is writing to to the registry too often with wallpapers dangerous?

Every time you set a wallpaper (with 2.0 firmware, or via PSPSet etc.) you're saving it to flash.

Flash has a limited lifetime in terms of the number of writes - so yes, you are reducing the lifetime every time you set a new wallpaper. Unless you're changing every day or similar, you're unlikely to cause any noticeable impact.

You're not going to brick your PSP via storing a wallpaper. To store the wallpaper, you have to view it first - and that's much more likely to be when any damage could be done by a malicious image.

Cap'n 1time
December 5th, 2005, 20:01
You're not going to brick your PSP via storing a wallpaper. To store the wallpaper, you have to view it first - and that's much more likely to be when any damage could be done by a malicious image.

which is exactly why your virus scanners tell you the Tif exploit is a trojan.. There are Jpeg exploits too.. but apparently sony wasnt dumb enough to use a lib from the mid 90s.

Fanjita
December 7th, 2005, 18:13
which is exactly why your virus scanners tell you the Tif exploit is a trojan.. There are Jpeg exploits too.. but apparently sony wasnt dumb enough to use a lib from the mid 90s.

No, virus scanners tell you that overflow.tif is a trojan because there once was a trojan downgrader. The TIFF actually had nothing to do with the trojan functionality, and has been used in all sorts of respectable homebrew since, so it shows a lot of false positives. Sadly the virus signature analysts don't really understand the ins and outs of PSP homebrew, so the current virus check is quite badly inaccurate.

There are many possible image exploits, very few of them could work on the PSP (even fewer on v2.5+ PSPs), and only two (so far, to my knowledge) that have been used to actually run code on the PSP (both of those are TIFF-based).