PDA

View Full Version : Semi-Bricked Wii: Expert Advice Requested

sean.aaron
September 9th, 2008, 19:00
Well, if anyone saw my posts in the the Wii News section for AnyRegionChanger, you'll know that I a couple of dumb things:

1. I ran a poorly documented hack without a clear understanding of what it did.

2. I didn't ensure I had a way out if things went wrong, i.e., ran through Twilight Hack using WiiLoader instead of installing the Homebrew Channel.

I made what seemed to be two small changes that I didn't realise were actually in the firmware:

Game Region: Japan (from Europe -- I have a PAL Wii)

Video Mode: NTSC

My hope was to play the Japanese-only Gamecube game Mr. Driller Drill Land and be able to use saves, unlike my XenoGC-equipped Gamecube. This worked brilliantly and I think AnyRegionChanger is a useful piece of software for this reason alone.

However, it became quickly apparent that this rendered my Wii incapable of playing any PAL Wii disc-based games or VC/WiiWare Channels. I had thought I simply could run Japanese games and presumed to fix this by buying a Japanese copy of Twilight Princess. In the meantime I received a Japanese import Wii game, Wii Shanghai, which refused to boot. I have since received Twilight Princess JPN, which also won't boot, so it seems that in order to use AnyRegionChanger to run Japanese Wii games you need to change Game Region as well as Area and load up the Japanese Wii firmware.

So, now I have a Wii that can basically run the built-in Channels and play Japanese Gamecube games, since it appears the Gamecube games only use the Game Region and Video Mode settings to determine if they can run or not. Any attempt at booting Wii Disc games of any kind fails with a "Unable to Load Disc" message and a superimposed "?"

I'm hoping for guidance on what to try next.

I will check with the shop around the corner from my office, Gametex, to see if they can re-flash the firmware.

I'm also considering getting a clip-in drivechip like the D2Pro, however, I'm uncertain if this will work -- unless anyone can say if it will override the firmware settings whose incompatibility is presently preventing me from running any Wii games whatsoever. This would hopefully allow me to either run one of my copies of Twilight Princess or run a Wii Recovery image as published this year (and which I have downloaded) -- thought I'm uncertain of the latter because I'm running 3.3 firmware which is the most current and I'm not sure how the recovery iso works.

If all else fails I can try phoning Nintendo support and hope they have the ability to reflash my firmware.

Any explanations or suggestions are welcome, but please no speculations because I've gotten in enough trouble by doing that on my own already!

Update: I've just gotten back from GameTex. No surprise but they don't do firmware. The guy did ask if I was running 3.3, to which I said yes; he advised just waiting for the next firmware update with the notion that this would overwrite my existing firmware and changes. This was after asking if my console was modded, which suggests to me the idea of using the Recovery ISO to attempt a forced reinstall of the firmware.

Seems pretty reasonable, assuming attempting to run a DVD-R doesn't rely upon any region checks -- ditto for whatever the Recovery image actually does. I've ordered a D2Pro 9-wire + WiiClip from Pinpoint Games. Hopefully I'll have it by the week-end. With any luck my games will load again and I won't need the recovery image, but I've burned it just in case.

I did actually try running the Update System option yesterday and it went ahead and seemed to do it without giving me an error saying the system was up-to-date, but this had no effect -- this is probably a good thing because it didn't bork at the Game Region. I do notice that entering the System Menu seems to take a few seconds longer than it did, but that could be in my mind. Languages and country lists look normal, so no corruption apparent.

Newest update:

Well, I got a Wii Clip with a pre-soldered D2Pro 9-wire chip in it (I have a D2C Wii). Installation was fine, but no surprise, there was no change. It appears the region mismatch means the boot never gets far enough for the chip to become active; since I cannot successfully boot an own-region disc, the region-free never comes into play to allow the Japanese disc to boot and vice versa. The recovery DVD ISOs are region-specific and presumably have the same issue.

So, I've written to Nintendo support and explained my situation in the hopes that they have the ability to do a simple firmware reflash on the system. Hopefully that will be the case; otherwise I'll have to wait for the next firmware update before finding out if my Wii is destined to be a Mr. Driller machine and just keep it for spare parts until I get a new one (which will mean repurchasing my WiiWare, joy).

I should think Nintendo of all people would be able to force a system update, but I guess I'll have to wait for them to get around to responding to me...

More news as it becomes available!

sean.aaron
September 19th, 2008, 12:41
Just an update to say that Nintendo said it would be a major repair for £70 and they sent me a shipping label which I received yesterday. My Wii was posted today; fingers crossed I'll get it back, working, in a couple of weeks!

sean.aaron
September 28th, 2008, 12:33
Another update. Got a call on Wednesday for payment; confirmed £70 major repair. I asked the guy if they'd definitely be able to sort my problem and was told that they have a means of restoring the system to factory state (I don't know if that means using the built-in Format option or something else) and if this doesn't work they'll send me a new machine, but in either case I'll have all my Shop stuff intact (transferred if necessary to have new kit) and save files restored.

I have to say I was impressed. I mean, if I had non-warranty work on any other piece of consumer electronics (and I have with a Sony MD recorder), if they cannot fix it, then that's just too bad; I certainly wouldn't expect to get a new piece of kit for less than full price. At best I would have expected to be sold a new Wii at SRP and have my stuff transferred, so this is very cool.

I'm supposedly getting the machine back this week, so I'll advise if it's the same hardware or not in case other people are in brick/semi-brick state due to software changes and want to know if Nintendo can sort them.

Darksaviour69
September 29th, 2008, 09:25
good to hear you got it sorted

sean.aaron
September 29th, 2008, 13:55
Yeah, now I just need to figure out if there's a good way to play Mr. Driller Drill Land without risking the bricking of my Wii!

Hopefully GeckoOS or MenuLoader will offer the ability to change game region in the RAM in a future release...

sean.aaron
October 3rd, 2008, 14:16
Site has system repaired and despatched today; I can't wait to get my Wii back!

sean.aaron
October 6th, 2008, 22:52
Well, I got the Wii back today and I'm disappointed to say that it's not the machine I sent them.

The box I did get has a higher serial number (I'm assuming it's a refurb unit since one or two screw stickers were missing) and 3.1E firmware. I briefly entertained the notion of keeping it that way, however Boom Blox forces an update anyway, so I just ran the update myself.

I just need to swap friend codes with people who have Miis I've sent so I can get them back and all will be well.

sean.aaron
October 13th, 2008, 12:10
Interesting communication with Nintendo Service Centre I just had.

I mailed them asking about the guarantee on the "new" machine I got back because the optical drive has failed to load a game on a couple of occasions making clicking noises which I assume is the drive head attempting to read the beginning of the disc and failing; it's possibly the game disc that's the issue, but that's besides the point.

The response was that I may have received the same hardware back; the new serial number would result if they had to replace the system board in the Wii. Now I don't know why they wouldn't know for certain if that's the case -- surely there would be a full repair log? The main groovy thing is that I get a new 12-month guarantee on the system post-repair and my Wii was only a few weeks until the end of warranty, so that's a pretty decent result.

Update: Nintendo confirmed that my system board was replaced in the previous repair. So it appears that my original machine is the one in my possession, but that they ran format on the system and when that failed to fix the problem (as I knew it would or I would have done that myself), the only other fix was a system board swap; Codemasters seems to lack a firmware reload disc -- not surprised since they're a 3rd party and that would increase the chance that such a repair disc would make its way into "the wrong hands."

Now Nintendo want me to send the Wii back to get the drive checked out. Just when I get used to having it back and start playing De Blob too...****!

desibeo
March 13th, 2009, 12:01
Hi,

So you've gotten it all back & working by now I assume?

Any luck using the GC memory card with Drill Land on homebrew?
I have an old DL savegame on my (Jap-formatted) Gamecube memory card, but Drill Land doesn't seem to recognise it (or the card itself) via Geckos. I've also tried forcing NTSC and Japanese language, but as suspected, it doesn't make a difference to the memory card.
Maybe a future Geckos will allow Japanese cards to be written-to/ read.

I'm running homebrew on my US Wii by the way. I used to have a US/JAP modded Gamecube. Mr. Driller is the one game I really miss (and kept) -and I've loved playing it again the last few days... I now want to be able to save on level 2 though!

sean.aaron
March 13th, 2009, 13:46
Yes, I ended up shipping it off to Nintendo and paid them £70 to replace my mainboard after they formatted the thing. I luckily found a Wii friend who had my Miis (stupidly forgot to back those up) and everything is right again.

No Mr. Driller Drill Land never got working with the Memory card and now AnyRegionChanger doesn't work anymore, so whatever. I bought a Japanese Wii off eBay a few months ago and I can play it normally without dicking around now (plus I can get MegaDrive games on the VC for only 600pts. and all the latest Japanese WiiWare as well as not having to worry about not being able to play my imports due to a firmware update killing HBC).