PDA

View Full Version : Spore is an "attack on Christian values"

Shrygue
September 10th, 2008, 19:20
via Computer and Video Games (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=196847)

A religious nutter has launched an anti-Spore website to let Electronic Arts know that its "biggest attack on Christian values to date will not be tolerated."

Antispore.com condemns Spore's teaching of the very un-Christian theory of evolution, which it says is an attempt on the games industry's part to "invade our homes and poison the minds of our children."

It says: "Yesterday I found out about a new game called Spore when my son asked me to buy it for him. It looked innocent enough at first and has E for Everyone ESRB rating. But don't be mislead, apparently 'everyone' means everyone they want to teach evolution to.

"This entire game is propaganda aimed directly at our children to teach them evolution instead of creationism, or 'intelligent design' if you go for stupid PC terms.

"The object of the game is to evolve from a 'spore' into demon-like intelligent space creatures that violently take over the galaxy," continues the site.

The site goes on to attack EA and it's 8,500 employees, "not a single one with enough Jesus to stand up and say what they are doing is wrong," it says.

"I used to like Will Wright," continues Anti-Spore.com. "He created Sim City, a fantastic game that celebrated the earth that God created for us and allowed you to use all your God given abilities to make an ideal society. But if you ever felt like you had too much power, God would come in with a tornado or an earthquake and put you back in place.

"You would think that as a member of the Episcopal Church, a smart man like Will Wright would not be capable of creating Spore. However, we must be reminded that the Episcopal Church is the only church in america that ordains homosexuals on a regular basis.

"It makes sense that a perverted church would cause a man to make the creations he has in this game. It just may be that evolution is not the only thing to fear this game teaching your children.

"[EA's] billions in revenue and all the advertising in the world are no match for the power of God."

ICE
September 10th, 2008, 19:33
Evolution is only threatening to Christians who dont understand nature. These are the same people who think the universe was made in 6 days no matter how stupid that is. It makes me sad that these are the people representing Christians as a whole to the public just because they're the ones who wont shut up.

jamotto
September 10th, 2008, 21:12
Great! I was getting bored with the propaganda aimed directly at our children to teach them creationism instead of evolution, Will Wright thanks for the change of pace.

Eviltaco64
September 10th, 2008, 21:28
I can see this turning into some sort of religous war.

supersoni88
September 10th, 2008, 22:08
how did i NOT see this coming...
:confused:

Sonicboy 101
September 10th, 2008, 22:17
Jeez, it's a GAME!

Brainy142
September 10th, 2008, 22:36
Come ON PEOPLE man why cant they relax.

mcdougall57
September 10th, 2008, 23:31
This guy can suck my fat hairy balls. Getting worked up over a game, its pitiful. I bet more people enjoy this game than join his campaign.

rageteam1000
September 10th, 2008, 23:51
okay this guy needs to get lost, or read a book (maybe a bible?) and leave well enough alone.

Darksaviour69
September 11th, 2008, 00:17
I just want to point out that the "Christians vs evolution" thing is only big in the US. You never hear about it in europe bar talking about the nutters in the US.

For the record I'm a Catholic and I believe in Evolution O_O

Eviltaco64
September 11th, 2008, 00:59
I just want to point out that the "Christians vs evolution" thing is only big in the US. You never hear about it in europe bar talking about the nutters in the US.

For the record I'm a Catholic and I believe in Evolution O_O

Correct me if I'm wrong (which for some reason I feel I am), but isn't that where God created something that trigerred the big bang or evolution itself? Not entirely sure here.

ICE
September 11th, 2008, 01:55
Correct me if I'm wrong (which for some reason I feel I am), but isn't that where God created something that trigerred the big bang or evolution itself? Not entirely sure here.

Not answering on his part here or anything but I feel like science is mans attempt to explain how things work. The big bang and evolution may explain how things came to be where they are now but in the case of the big bang they can often come far short of the why part. Everyone likes to think the bible says 6 days of god just making stuff out of no where but thats just one interpretation. I find it far more likely that a man with no concept of billions, millions of even thousands of years would have written 6 days as an analogy to explain a time frame he did not understand.

I think god is the why to sciences how. The guiding hand in the big band and evolution if you will.

(I think mods should keep an eye on this topic lest it get out of hand as these things oft do.)

UkyoTachibana
September 11th, 2008, 02:47
Not answering on his part here or anything but I feel like science is mans attempt to explain how things work. The big bang and evolution may explain how things came to be where they are now but in the case of the big bang they can often come far short of the why part. Everyone likes to think the bible says 6 days of god just making stuff out of no where but thats just one interpretation. I find it far more likely that a man with no concept of billions, millions of even thousands of years would have written 6 days as an analogy to explain a time frame he did not understand.

I think god is the why to sciences how. The guiding hand in the big band and evolution if you will.

(I think mods should keep an eye on this topic lest it get out of hand as these things oft do.)

so what your saying is that we shouldn't take the book literally right?

the Fact that the book is too vague shows how it lacks evidence of it being truthful.

Also wasn't it re-written countless amount of times? If the book was really the word of the thing "god" then why can it be changed? What's the point of passing on a holy law when it can be changed freely from time to time?

-Anyway Back on Topic-

And I'll say christians are an attack on he Living. they always complain about things that don't matter to them. Why are they so afraid that they will be proven wrong? what about their "FAITH" huh? what happened to that? why don't you have faith that your ugly child will grow up to be the same walking breathing abominations like you? Especially when you teach him about your bogus beliefs and cork it in with the fear of hell?

Eviltaco64
September 11th, 2008, 02:57
Wow, what a first post that was!

*Definitely expecting a fight.

ICE
September 11th, 2008, 03:05
so what your saying is that we shouldn't take the book literally right?

the Fact that the book is too vague shows how it lacks evidence of it being truthful.

Also wasn't it re-written countless amount of times? If the book was really the word of the thing "god" then why can it be changed? What's the point of passing on a holy law when it can be changed freely from time to time?

-Anyway Back on Topic-

And I'll say christians are an attack on he Living. they always complain about things that don't matter to them. Why are they so afraid that they will be proven wrong? what about their "FAITH" huh? what happened to that? why don't you have faith that your ugly child will grow up to be the same walking breathing abominations like you? Especially when you teach him about your bogus beliefs and cork it in with the fear of hell?

Here we go.. Alright. What I'm saying is that people should use their head and understand the way people wrote back then. Anyone who does understand this will see no problem in use of analogy. Its the simplest way to explain something complex to to the most people.

Analogies and vagary are two different things by definition.

And lastly the Bible has not been re-written as you said. In fact we still have most of the scrolls it was originally written on. Those exact original copies were then translated and distributed despite the popular belief that it was translated over and over until its meaning was destroyed. Sure some people have tried to rewrite it and made their own versions like NIV but thats not what I use. Thats not what anyone I know uses. I use the 1611 version which was one of the earliest versions translated to english.

If you're going to try picking a fight at least know what you're talking about first.. And bro that last part is just pure prejudice. I really hope a mod takes some action here. I admit I've said some stupid and rude things here but thats just uncalled for.

Mods..?

Eviltaco64
September 11th, 2008, 04:15

I find that many Atheists and Evolutionists cant stand Christians, and bitch about them equally or more than Christians do about them. About being proven wrong, you're type never admit defeat, you'll fight and fight to the end, and if you dont win, you'll lie about it, or take extremely low hits. 'Ugly child'? 'Walking Breathing Abominations'?, nothing but offensive name calling, I hope you feel you've accomplished something that a 5th Grader could with a dictionary (that seems about right, with less name calling ;)). Teaching, or to put it in your words, indoctrinating others with our 'bogus' beliefs? Sorry, but when you're type have practically any secular building of education, you're winning war to a very high extent, and its only going up from there. If someone's Christian, how does it hurt you? It seems you're complaining about things that dont matter to you ;).

gutbub
September 11th, 2008, 04:51
Has the guy that's complaining about Spore even played it? Maybe if he had, he would have seen how unrealistic the game is. Maybe, just maybe, the game was made for fun, and not made to spite christians. LOL.

ICE
September 11th, 2008, 04:55
Has the guy that's complaining about Spore even played it? Maybe if he had, he would have seen how unrealistic the game is. Maybe, just maybe, the game was made for fun, and not made to spite christians. LOL.

You dont know Will Wright like I do!!! Lmao

TheRisingExodus
September 11th, 2008, 06:13
Here is my opinion of spore.....ITS JUST A GAME!!!!!!! why do the dumb extreme religious folks have to point at everything and go EVIL! I swear its those kinds of folks that said the smurfs where demonic. I think its a neat concept and there is evolution in the world but its called adapting to changes in climate and habitat. I will personally pick up spore cause I could use a interesting game on my DS since the game does look like it be fun to play while waiting for a science class to end :P

Darksaviour69
September 11th, 2008, 10:12
UkyoTachibana has been given a warning, trolling is not allowed in DCEmu.

I'll just make the point, the the bible is the word of god... written by man, and man is not perfect. Also the most important part of the bible is the new testament, not the old testament. And it seems that extremist Christians quote most of there stuff from the old testament (an eye for an eye etc)

Its a shame the extremists give such a bad name for their religions, for Muslims and Christians.

{edit}

btw if you see posts that are breaking forums please use the report button. We can't check every post in the forum, but we do check all reported posts.

bah
September 11th, 2008, 12:35
I think he is mistaking an attack on 'Christian' (western) values with a a game that demonstrates in basic terms a rational (yet more difficult to convey than the competition) concept (Darwinian evolution) to kids, such that they may take to reason and real active discussion/increasing of understanding of concepts over doctrine.

I've never played the game, but when the heavily religious oppose something for seemingly no real moral reason, its generally a self defence mechanism against harm to the indoctrination process.
I know this is not true of many religious groups, but the actions of evangelicals in the US seems to often be teaching fear/hatred of logic and reason to protect the doctrine/status quo.

I have no problem with people believing in whatever 'untestable' divinity they care to imagine (or have imparted to their understanding from a young age by others), its when people start personifying 'the creator' with values and preferences and wanting to push them onto others that the problems start.
It's far easier to espouse a bigotry as 'divine' than an inherited cultural bias.

They really needn't worry, I doubt too many religious kids are going to abandon their faith over the game.

The bible got a mention, so I would like to recommend the book The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins to all.

iniquitous_beast
September 11th, 2008, 13:49
I'd like to bring up the pre-release controversy that this sparked among some extremist Atheists. In practice, Spore is an intelligent design model of the beginnings of life. After all, what role is the gamer playing in Spore?

It reminds me of the divine clockmaker analogy that my religious tutors told me to shun. The view is that of a god who builds the mechanism of the universe, then sits back and lets it run itself. (My tutors were of the "God micromanages every aspect of everything everyday with a unknowably wise and perfect plan, and the universe would fall apart without His guidance" school.)

For the record, I consider myself Agnostic.

One final thing: I noticed that one of you mentioned that the crazies tend to cling to the Old Testament more than the New. That might or might not be true, depending on the case, but from what I've seen, most of the real hate-mongers tend to cling to the writings of Paul. Many of his writings are letters to the various Christian churches of his day and contain advice that was specifically intended for them. Unfortunately, the context is lost on many readers, who thus believe that his advice is actually cold, hard, inflexible doctrine. Thus we still have people going around claiming, for instance, that it is sinful for women to speak in church.

Actual last thing: I've been amused by the numerous posts petitioning "Mod" for the supervision and guidance of this thread. Keeping in that spirit, I wish you all a good day; and may Mod be with you all.

Eviltaco64
September 11th, 2008, 14:48
I dont care if there's a game where you evolve, I played Pokemon :p
People get so worked up over this shit.

ICE
September 11th, 2008, 17:19
Actual last thing: I've been amused by the numerous posts petitioning "Mod" for the supervision and guidance of this thread. Keeping in that spirit, I wish you all a good day; and may Mod be with you all.

I wasnt asking for guidance.. I said they should watch this thread because it was going to turn bad then when the troll arrived I asked for them to do something about it. If you had the power to warn or ban a troll perhaps I would have asked for you.

Extremist's beliefs are often far ditatched from the original meaning of the writings they "follow". The old testament is not the only religious writing with the capability of being vastly misinterpreted by extremists. With enough imagination you can get what ever you want out of any book.

Eviltaco64
September 11th, 2008, 18:36
With enough imagination you can get what ever you want out of any book.

So, I don't have a problem for pretending to ride dragons while reading My Life: Bill Clinton? :p

carlitx
September 12th, 2008, 04:39
Ok he says EA is forcing evolution on people, evolution is SCIENTIFIC FACT!, and if he thinks EA is pushy on there views and thinks that's wrong, hes a Hippie cause what the hell is he doing huh? He is being a pusher for magical bull flop that we just appeared and that we are the center of the universe. I think the guy needs to learn a lesson from spore, and evolve a brain. People are allowed there opinion, it's called FREE SPEECH, if you agree with me, hooray for you, if not bite me this is my educated opinion.

ICE
September 12th, 2008, 06:06
So, I don't have a problem for pretending to ride dragons while reading My Life: Bill Clinton? :p

No and anyone who tells you any different is a Nazi.

pibs
September 12th, 2008, 18:14
Considering that this game when first released was flooded with deformed penis looking creatures, I doubt anyone whose actually played the game will misinterpret it and have their beliefs offended.

jamotto
September 13th, 2008, 01:16
It is a lame hoax.