PDA

View Full Version : MAME for dummies!!

Dundons
December 8th, 2005, 09:44
Hi dudes, I can gather from reading a lot of the other threads that some of you are fed up with trying to explain the same things over and over, thats why I went a head and just tried to sort this out myself before bothering you guys , but I got "No dice"

I only got the PSP recently and its all this stuff is really new to me, my problem is I installed the tribesemu pack onto my PSP memory stick and then couldn't find how to run the emulators afterwards.

What I done was made a USB connection, Installed the program into my G/PSP folder and is said it was complete so I then tried to start it up but no icons appeared for it to launch. I know in the back of my mind that what I done was wrong and am hoping one of you will expain how the folders setup works in gereral, maybe you can tell us the correct path to install it kinda thing. All I really want is the MAME and Mr.do :(

MGFox
December 8th, 2005, 10:48
For a start, the programs need to be installed into "G:\PSP\GAME", as for the folder structure, you'll need to determine what version of PSP Firmware you have:-

System Software Version 1.00 or 2.00:

Will only require one folder, i.e. "G:\PSP\GAME\PSPMAME"

System Software Version 1.50:

Will require two folders, i.e. "G:\PSP\GAME\PSPMAME" and "G:\PSP\GAME\PSPMAME%". The "%" folder carries the icon information that is displayed in the PSPs UI and the 'normal' folder contains the program code and is where you'll need to place any additional files.

For the information on where to place the ROMs, this is different for each emulator so you'll need to view the Readme that comes with the emulator you are using.

Cheers,
Fox

Dundons
December 8th, 2005, 11:06
Thanks dude I'll give it a go now, BWT I downgraded to version 1.5 already so thats cool right? :o

EDIT: Just read back over what you said, that "%" folder, do I need to drop files into that or will the install program do it for me?

EDIT:2
I got it installed dude fair play to you,now I can see the mame launchers on the memory card when selected using the PSP (btw I got loads of them is that normal?), plus I also got a good few different Mame folders in my "game" folder and each have a matching "%" folder also, Then I created 2 "new" folders also like you said PSPMAME and PSPMAME%, but what do I do with them and where do the roms go. I can see the finish line...

Dundons
December 8th, 2005, 17:09
Alright lads Im almost there with getting this thing to work, (remember Im a dummy) but need the last part of my question above answered. The more I look through this site the more I need to get the Whole "personalised " thing going on. :cool:

P.S. Sorry bout the double post dudes, Im just starving to get this thing working and was already waiting hours for a reply. :o .

MGFox
December 8th, 2005, 21:56
Right, each pair of folders in the "Game" folder will create an Icon in the menu (as well as a "Corrupted Data" folder, but don't worry about that crap now, just leave it). So the "good few different Mame folders" will be whats causing the many Icons.

The PSPMAME and PSPMAME% were not instructions, they were examples. I've never used PSPMame so I don't know the required folder stucture, I was merely demonstrating the Naming conventions!

Just done some research on PSPTribes Emu Thingy:
The installer will have installed 5 versions of MAME, each supporting different Rom Sets, these being:-

PSPMAME_v0.4_General
PSPMAME_v0.4_Konami
PSPMAME_v0.4_Namco
PSPMAME_v0.4_Sega
PSPMAME_v0.4_Taito

Mr. Do! was liscenced by Taito (but not made by) so I'm not sure where it will fall, I'm gonna assume it is under the Taito Set. Locate the Folder containing the Mame Taito launcher (without the "%") and create a folder in there called "roms", drop the Mr. Do! rom file in the roms folder and then try it.

Remember: I've never used this, so a lot of this information is Educated Guesswork from PSP Experiance...I am now downloading this Tribes Pack thing and will try it myself to see what happens, but this should work!

Sorry if you consider the response time excessive, but I am at work all day...this a hobby for me!

Cheers,
Fox

MGFox
December 8th, 2005, 22:23
OK, I've tried it out and Mr. Do! is listed under General (NOT Taito).

What I did:-

1) Run the Installer and Install the MAME emulators
2) Browse to L:\PSP\GAME\GNRMAME (My PSP is drive L:, GNR mean general)
3) Create a folder L:\PSP\GAME\GNRMAME\roms (don't know if case is important)
4) Drop mrdo.zip in the roms folder
5) Disconnect PSP from PC and run MAME

Honestly, this crashed on mine when trying to run Mr. Do! but I've got a 2.00 PSP and I don't think MAME runs properly! Give this a go, if it still doesn't work then I may not be able to help, hopefully one of the 104 other people who have read this thread can help you!

Cheers,
Fox

Dundons
December 8th, 2005, 22:36
Dude cheers for your time and thanks for all the info, now I know the story with setting it up, Im sure I'll be fine now. However I will report back here to this forum regaurdless of how it works out for me. :)

Dundons
December 8th, 2005, 23:08
Guess what?

Dundons got dice. :cool:

Cheers man works a treat now. MAME for Dummies is now complete. Hehe