PDA

View Full Version : Is the Datel 4GB Hard Drive worth it?

wazzal7
December 12th, 2005, 03:36
I was thinking of getting one. but is it worth the money. if someone has one, can u tell me if it's good? thanks :)

slaphappygamer
December 12th, 2005, 04:20
at lik-sang, a 2g sony ms is $199.99 and the 4g datel with extra battery capacity for $179.99. if you have the money its worth it. im thinking the price will go down again after the first of the year. thats what im banking on. if not ill probablly buy one anyway. right now im checking out a water resistant case that would fit the psp with the 4g datel.

irondirgible
December 12th, 2005, 04:43
A good case (logitech playgear pocket style) would be a must for me to get one. I would also wait for a price drop to a 130$ range, but that probably won't be too soon.

shadowprophet
December 12th, 2005, 11:11
I know people would expect a better excuse from me on why i havnt got one.
But i never got one because they make the psp look Dog ugly.
That may not be a good enought reason for some people tho.
Hell I finely just shelled out for a 2g card and called it a day.
I just dont want somthing thats gonna make my psp look like somthing Dr, Frankenstine created in his back yard.......... :(

slaphappygamer
December 12th, 2005, 15:03
A good case (logitech playgear pocket style) would be a must for me to get one. I would also wait for a price drop to a 130$ range, but that probably won't be too soon.

yeah thats a damn fine looking case, but will it accomadate the 4g datel? im hoping that price will drop soon.

hohomanx
December 13th, 2005, 03:54
i have teh datel 4gb and i have to say that i luv it. it doesn't look fantastic, but at the same time, the 2 protrusions coming out the back of the psp feel comfortable to me. it's also straightforward to install and load stuff onto, for those who aren't techheads. i would definitely get it. for now, i don't take my psp out too much (i kno that seems like a waste of a psp) but i have finals and stuff for right now. i agree that a sturdy case is needed, but for now i'm happy with datel's efforts.

shadowprophet
December 17th, 2005, 16:25
I just cant picture
haveing one of those things i mean really once you update you no longer have the memstick port as I understand it, because the hard drive is useing it.
not to mention for all the uglyness it does to the psp you only profet about 1.7 gigs from a 2 g card . is it really worth it ?

slaphappygamer
December 18th, 2005, 01:36
i think its totally woth it. im gonna get mine after the new year.

Bull
December 18th, 2005, 13:32
Out of curiosity.... am I the only person to read in many forums that the 4GB has many issues with speed and delays???

They normally respond with either to buy the 2GB or 1GB.

a99mimon
December 18th, 2005, 13:39
also the 4gb hard drive is apparently incompatible with 1.5 firmware version, which means you cant play homebrew etc. anyone know if this is definitely true?

slaphappygamer
December 19th, 2005, 14:50
also the 4gb hard drive is apparently incompatible with 1.5 firmware version, which means you cant play homebrew etc. anyone know if this is definitely true?

i hope you're wrong, i love 1.50. hopefully someone can tell us for sure.

firegryphon
December 20th, 2005, 03:31
I'm pretty sure that it works with 1.50. I was introduced to it by a guy that was in queue with me for a 360. He was EMUing all kinds of games from his 4gb drive. I don't know if it works without the swap trick because he kept making sure there was a disk in the drive. Actually he was the person who introduced me to PSP console emulation, so hey cool eh?

Jakanden
December 20th, 2005, 04:25
My review of it: http://pgrevolution.com/2005/12/01/datel-4gb-hard-drive-review/

Jdemon
December 21st, 2005, 05:07
Thanks for the link Jakanden, your review is really good. It answers alot of things I was curious about. Especially the comfort factor, I have a big problem with thumb cramps due to the thin size of the PSP. As far as the speed it was stated way before release that it runs slower. If Dantel was smart they would've put a USB connection directly to the HD so transfers don't wear on the battery. Can you plug it into a card reader and do transfers that way?

Jakanden
December 21st, 2005, 09:08
Can you plug it into a card reader and do transfers that way?

Unfortunately I did not have the ability to test that so I am unable to answer - sorry =(

slaphappygamer
December 21st, 2005, 15:01
Can you plug it into a card reader and do transfers that way?

sure, but why? the psp has a usb port on it. games transfer faster through the psp rather than a card reader, at least with my sandisk 1 gig.

Jdemon
December 22nd, 2005, 00:22
I think transfers generally take longer going through the PSP connection. It definitely does for me. I think your PC and your card reader will effect your transfer speed alot, so it's different for everyone. The second reason is the power on your battery it used. If you could just plug the HDD into a standard mini port (like the connection on the PSP) or a card reader, your PC could be powering it and saving PSP battery power. But I don't think they have set it up that way. I would guess the HDD power only comes from the battery pack.

Trial&Error
December 22nd, 2005, 20:21
I have only just got my 4gb drive & think its great, works fine with 1.50 for games, etc and video when I tested it, although there are some problems with certain videos which is corrected by using firmware 2.0 which has the AVC support. So if & when I experience this known sync problem I should be able to load 2.0 using the firmware launcher, which will give me the same AVC support.

Hope this helps.

Admitidly it is very ugly with the drive & battery attached, but when I am mobile I will probably just detach the drive & just put my essential stuff on my 1gb card.

vanle
December 23rd, 2005, 11:23
BTW anyone who's paying 200 bucks for a 2g card is getting ripped off. You can get them for about 100-110. Just FYI.

slaphappygamer
December 23rd, 2005, 18:59
BTW anyone who's paying 200 bucks for a 2g card is getting ripped off. You can get them for about 100-110. Just FYI.

where at? not ebay, i hope.

Forever~Zero
December 24th, 2005, 10:10
I was wondering the same with the 4gig one too. I might get it when i have the money. It cost me 600+ my currency and it will take me a long time to save up for it.

Zlaya
December 25th, 2005, 05:33
Any insides on the datel drive vs the san disk 4gb card
(might be worth playing with the reader port for this one, a little modding anyone? (http://www.psp-hacks.com/memory-stick-hack.php))?
San disk 4gb card (http://www.sandisk.com/Products/Item(1169)-SDMSPH-4096-SanDisk_Ultra_II_Memory_Stick_PRO_4GB.aspx) except price ofcourse, might be worth it if it gives you 4gb and makes you pretty

(i laughed when i found you Forever~zero and yea i am who you think i am :) )

Forever~Zero
December 25th, 2005, 08:21
Any insides on the datel drive vs the san disk 4gb card
(might be worth playing with the reader port for this one, a little modding anyone? (http://www.psp-hacks.com/memory-stick-hack.php))?
San disk 4gb card (http://www.sandisk.com/Products/Item(1169)-SDMSPH-4096-SanDisk_Ultra_II_Memory_Stick_PRO_4GB.aspx) except price ofcourse, might be worth it if it gives you 4gb and makes you pretty

(i laughed when i found you Forever~zero and yea i am who you think i am :) )

Sorry dont quite understand the last part,about you laughing at me.

wazzal7
December 26th, 2005, 18:16
I was thinking of getting one. but is it worth the money. if someone has one, can u tell me if it's good? thanks :)

well, i got one for christmas and i would have to say that it is great! sure it is a little slow, but i can fit more homebrew on there which makes it all worth it. i would have paid my own money for it. :)

AtariFreek
January 6th, 2006, 02:01
One Word To Sum Up THe 3 Pages Of Comments....Yes.