PDA

View Full Version : A frustrating end for me.

funkatron1011
December 15th, 2005, 17:41
I've been a long time lurker to these forums and I had a psp OS 1.5 with all of my favorite games of the past. Until last night that is.

I received Smackdown Vs Raw 2006 from my wife. Excited to play it, but fearing the worst, I popped it in only to discover that it requires OS 2.5 in order to run. Now I could have loaded up 2.0 with some loaders and swaps and all the workarounds to keep all my old and homebrew games and still play new ones, but I finally gave up. The constant struggle between Sony and the homebrew/emu community doesn't appear to be ending anytime soon and sadly, Sony appears to be winning the battle.

I hope the GP2X is all that it claims to be, because I think that will be the best solution for me. For those who are continuing to make progress on the PSP, keep on fighting. Because of you I have gained a whole new appreciation for all that you do.

Killing2Live
December 16th, 2005, 00:26
Well your in luck the Hello World exploit that was just released with Liberty City Stories now allows us to play homebrew on 2.6 and once the coders get it down the games will be flying in (hopefully) lol

Jdemon
December 16th, 2005, 15:16
You actually upgraded your 1.5 to 2.5 :confused:

slik da relic
December 16th, 2005, 15:32
Well your in luck the Hello World exploit that was just released with Liberty City Stories now allows us to play homebrew on 2.6 and once the coders get it down the games will be flying in (hopefully) lol

damn... when did this happen? im fallin behind. is this tru?

da relic

funkatron1011
December 16th, 2005, 16:02
You actually upgraded your 1.5 to 2.5 :confused:

I grew tired of the thought of having to constantly go through hoops just to play my old games. I finally decided that I'll keep my psp for new games, then pick up a GP2x for my old games. Ideally I would like to have one device for both, but it's not worth the effort to me. With the GP2x I won't have to worry about the constant required upgrades that squash this community.

You can never have it all... :(

Nitro Kid
December 16th, 2005, 16:14
So do you think it was worth it to play SD vs RAW, rather than keep the old 1.5 FW?

funkatron1011
December 16th, 2005, 16:51
So do you think it was worth it to play SD vs RAW, rather than keep the old 1.5 FW?

Yes and no. It's a fun game, Visually stunning for the PSP, but the load times in the game are horrible. With a CAW it can take up to 3 minutes just to load the match. In spite of that, I hope the replay value will remain.

I gave up Super Fire Pro Wrestling X for it which I may end up regretting. Even for as old as it is, to me it has a superior wrestling engine.

My friend just bought a DS and he says that it has nes and snes emulation at near full speed, as well as being able to play my gba games on it. So that may be another option.

Jdemon
December 16th, 2005, 20:03
:( another one bites the dust.

Well, I certainly respect that you made this decision. Personally I don't think I will ever give up my 1.5, mostly for reasons I'm not allowed to discuss on this forum. But also for MAME, which even though it's not as great as it can be I still love. And on a rebelious anti-corperate level because Sony is trying to force everyone to upgrade. It makes 1.5 (and 1.0) PSP's a rare comodity. Once all the 1.0 and 1.5 are gone the PSP Homebrew/Hacking community will slowly die and Sony will have won.

caterpillarmilk
January 12th, 2006, 20:02
If the teams developing official UMD games actually started making games that didn't suck I might understand where the OP is coming from.

I've played all the new official games and I hate them. They're poorly designed graphically as well as the interface and controls, and they lack the depth of oldschool console games. I can't see why anyone would want to waste their money to continually buy the new UMD games at $40 a pop when they aren't even very good.

But I am looking through the shade of a fairly exclusive RPG interest, so maybe people who like action games are actually getting something out of the official releases...

I know the system is still pretty new but I honestly don't think any decent official releases are going to come out before the next best handheld console draws the developers away from the PSP.