PDA

View Full Version : [Release] Wolfenstein 3D V5.1 Beta - Sound Tempo Fixed, New GameLoader & More!

Zack
September 19th, 2008, 13:38
So after I finally got my ass into gear, we now have Wolfenstein V5.1 beta released :)

Why is it a beta ?

Well my tester Da1writer is currently moving house and thus I have only being able to test this myself. So it could be buggy, things could have broken etc.

Also I haven't added most of the requested features yet. As I want to see if the main fixes are stable first so bug tracking will be easier.

What are the changes ?

Well a few major ones :)

1st : The sound tempo is now how people remember it. There is still debate whether or not this is correct, and that Windows 98 or Dosbox could be running the game too slow, but to be honest It doesn't bother me. I want to make the game play how you remember it. :)

2nd : The Saving/Loading corruption bug has being fixed. This has not being tested thoroughly and may still be broken or buggy. I really need you guys to test the hell out of this for me :)

3rd : The Game Loader has been Re-Written from scratch. It now has a much neater GUI and also now sports a Confirm option. So you don't press X by mistake, load the wrong game and have to go all the way to the xmb and start over.

Also, Music and sound effects have been removed from the Game Loader to make the download smaller and to save more space on your Memory stick ;)

Note : The confirm box in the middle only shows after you press X on the game you want to load ;), Pressing O goes back, the box goes away and you can pick a different game. Thanks to Roscharch for the image and idea!

Here is a screenshot of the new Game Loader :

http://www.retroemu.com/newsimg/screen1.jpg (http://www.retroemu.com)

Here is the ChangeLog For V5.1 Beta :

- Re-Wrote gameloader so it doesn't use fixed paths. You can now put Wolf_3D in any game folder :). - Zack.
- Full Re-Write Of Gameloader. No music or sound effects and faster game selection (+ smaller download size as a result). - Zack.
- Added "Confirm" Option to Gameloader. It now confirms you want to load the game so if you press it by mistake on the wrong game you don't have to reset to xmb and start over. - Zack.
- Save/Load bug fixed (we think). - Chilly Willy.
- Music now plays at tempo most remember it at. - Zack.
- Difficulty selection bug fixed. - Zack.

So please test this hard! And report any bugs here or at the thread on RetroEmu.

Source Included as usual, but now in a separate zip file to save download file size for people who have no interest in source code :p

Note : Wolf3D Floppy patch (attached below) is still needed for users that use the Wolf3D Floppy files.

Enjoy ;)

Screenshot of Wolf3D for those that don't know what it is :

http://i310.photobucket.com/albums/kk437/Zackpspcoder/screen1-2.jpg (http://www.retroemu.com)

Via RetroEmu.com (http://www.retroemu.com/showthread.php?p=517#post517)

Download & Give Feedback Via Comments

Safari Al
September 19th, 2008, 20:43
Great release man, it's come a long way! Trying it out now. ;)

Zack
September 19th, 2008, 22:35
Great release man, it's come a long way! Trying it out now. ;)

Thanks man :)

Be sure to report any bugs please. :cool:

that1guywiththeface
September 20th, 2008, 02:13
Is the full game included, or do I need to find my own files from my basement? If I do, than what files do I need to find/purchase for what game?

Fredd543
September 20th, 2008, 12:45
Hello Zak,
this version (5.1) just works fine !

The saving-bug seems to be history - i saved & loaded in different floors of wolfenstein & sod and it worked perfect for me, no more corrupted saves.

The music sounds clear and is at the right speed - how far i can say.

The GUI is much better and works flawless.

This is really one of the best PSP-Ports ever,
keep up your good work !

Greetings from germany,
Fredd543

P.S.: @that1guywiththeface: There's only the Shareware-Versions included due to copyright.
You can use the floppy or cd-version of wolfenstein - check out the readme and use google -
you will find what you need!

Zack
September 20th, 2008, 20:01
Hello Zak,
this version (5.1) just works fine !

The saving-bug seems to be history - i saved & loaded in different floors of wolfenstein & sod and it worked perfect for me, no more corrupted saves.

The music sounds clear and is at the right speed - how far i can say.

The GUI is much better and works flawless.

This is really one of the best PSP-Ports ever,
keep up your good work !

Greetings from germany,
Fredd543

P.S.: @that1guywiththeface: There's only the Shareware-Versions included due to copyright.
You can use the floppy or cd-version of wolfenstein - check out the readme and use google -
you will find what you need!

Thanks for the kind words.

I am delighted to hear the game now seems to be bug free. It has taken a long time and a lot of work to reach this stage :)

Can others please please please post letting me know how it works for them. So far this has not happened.

I really need to know if anyone encountered any bugs and I also need to know if they didn't.

AshTR
September 20th, 2008, 21:32
Hmm...All I got was it taking me back to the XMB in whatever folder I put it in. (I deleted the whole previous folder before extracting this one.)

I downloaded it straight from my PSP though so that could be the issue.

Lemme load it on via USB connection to my computer and I'll see what happens then.

EDIT: Ok, that was the problem. PSP Filer must corrupt ZIP archives with many folders or something. Works pretty nice.

There are still a few sounds that could be fixed, but everything else looks and sounds like near perfection. Very awesome job!

EDIT 2: Just saved on E1F1 and it loaded just fine. Sweetness!

Zack
September 21st, 2008, 10:53
EDIT: Ok, that was the problem. PSP Filer must corrupt ZIP archives with many folders or something. Works pretty nice.

You have that problem every time man :rofl:

Glad to know it's working great for you :)

Thanks for letting me know.

Tama777
September 21st, 2008, 11:51
Moinsen ;)

nice work Zak ;) last version (5.0) is always
crashed^^ this version runs perfekt :D.. and Fullscreen ;) Thx ...

rageteam1000
September 21st, 2008, 17:07
haven't used it yet but, looks good. thanks.

Domovoy12
September 22nd, 2008, 12:03
big thanks to Zack for this port. I tried to play a little in different levels of wolf - and all work fine - save/load works perfect, sounds and music good and it's as on my old 286 comp :). Thanks form Russia for chance to remember that good time in this game! It is so good!

From Russia with love :)

Zack
September 22nd, 2008, 20:27
big thanks to Zack for this port. I tried to play a little in different levels of wolf - and all work fine - save/load works perfect, sounds and music good and it's as on my old 286 comp :). Thanks form Russia for chance to remember that good time in this game! It is so good!

From Russia with love :)

Nice to see people from all over the world using this :)

Thanks for posting and letting me know it works bug free for you.

If this thread manages to get a few more posts from people confirming it is bug free, then that will be great.

Then I can start adding the features requested before and some of my own ideas too :)

azul88
September 23rd, 2008, 00:35
Thanks a lot! :-)

Domovoy12
September 23rd, 2008, 08:39
Zack yesterday I played much with your port and find only one bad thing: if I turn psp into sleep mode - than after return game freezing and crush. If before I go from game to game menu - than menu work, I can go into different option, but when I go back to game - I see only black screen - home button did not work, only way out - get out battery. it is not a big problem - I can save game in any time, go out to xmb, get psp to sleep mode and than load game again, but maybe u can correct it in easy way?
Except it everything excellent! Big thanks for port.

Fredd543
September 23rd, 2008, 09:27
Hello Zack,
i can confirm what Domovoy12 wrote - with one difference: it's not neccesary to take out the battery to turn out the PSP after freezing, holding the Power-Button for some seconds in off-position does the same.

Greetings from germany,
Fredd543

i played around with this bug: it doesn't behave the same after leaving sleep-mode - sometimes freezes at once, sometimes it freezes 3-5 seconds later, sometimes screen go black & shuts down PSP & sometimes it does not freeze at all (rarely).
Bug was found in all supported games & i use PSP S&L, 4.01 M33-2.
I don't know if this takes you farther but you should know.

Zack
September 23rd, 2008, 10:19
Hello Zack,
i can confirm what Domovoy12 wrote - with one difference: it's not neccesary to take out the battery to turn out the PSP after freezing, holding the Power-Button for some seconds in off-position does the same.

Greetings from germany,
Fredd543

i played around with this bug: it doesn't behave the same after leaving sleep-mode - sometimes freezes at once, sometimes it freezes 3-5 seconds later, sometimes screen go black & shuts down PSP & sometimes it does not freeze at all (rarely).
Bug was found in all supported games & i use PSP S&L, 4.01 M33-2.
I don't know if this takes you farther but you should know.

Thanks I will look into it :thumbup:

So to confirm. Whilst in the game... If you put your psp into sleep mode then resume the game it crashes or freezes?

Also, is this just in the game or also in the Game Loader?

Domovoy12
September 23rd, 2008, 14:27
to Zack:
In gameloader nothing crashe or freeze when turn sleep mode. In game - after return from sleep mode - if it was game-mode than I have black screen or sometimes psp reboot itself. If it was in game-menu mode - than menu works, but black screen when go back to game or sometimes psp reboot. I have psp phat 3.90 m33-2.

Be3f
September 25th, 2008, 07:57
Awesome update Zack, now this port almost perfect! :thumbup:
But how about moving to the next step and porting improved Wolf3D port WolfGL to PSP? Here you can find PC port and sources: http://newwolf.sourceforge.net/
It renders graphics in full 3D (OprnGL) + supports high res textures and md3 models.

djspank
September 25th, 2008, 12:25
First time poster here just wanting to say thanks to Zack for his hard work in injecting new life into one of the all time classics! Seriously dude have you thought about using your talents to develop games professionally and start making some cash :)

Zack
September 25th, 2008, 20:50
Awesome update Zack, now this port almost perfect! :thumbup:
But how about moving to the next step and porting improved Wolf3D port WolfGL to PSP? Here you can find PC port and sources: http://newwolf.sourceforge.net/
It renders graphics in full 3D (OprnGL) + supports high res textures and md3 models.

To be honest I have no intention of doing this. I know it's a great idea but interest in the project is waning and mine is starting to as well. My aim when I started this was to get a stable full speed port of Wolf 3D on the PSP with perfect sound.

Then I decided at the end to add some "features" other people wanted before I "hang up my boots" on it.

When I am finished with my revisions of Wolf, anyone is welcome to do this however. ;)

Another reason why I don't want to do it is that I have 2 other Massive projects in production (both original from the ground up) and 1 other one too. So wrapping Wolf up and moving on to these is a priority for me.

First time poster here just wanting to say thanks to Zack for his hard work in injecting new life into one of the all time classics! Seriously dude have you thought about using your talents to develop games professionally and start making some cash :)

I have and It is my aim eventually to be a "Professional Games Developer". However, I don't think I will be good enough to do that for another 4>8 years yet ;)

I am working on my own original Game and another project that I can't discuss now, so maybe if I do a good job on those, perhaps I will get noticed :D

AshTR
September 25th, 2008, 20:56
Quick thing. I went through and tested the sounds. The ones I see left that could use fixing are..

Ammo
Machine gun
Cross item
Extra life

The rest sound alright to me. Very awesome job!