PDA

View Full Version : c64psp v0.3 (Commodore 64 Emulator for PSP)

urchin
December 23rd, 2005, 14:08
Team c64psp would like to wish PSP users a Merry Christmas with a new version of c64psp!

New features

* Multiple screen modes (with vsync on firmware v1.5)
* Full speed, stable C64 emulation (no need for PSP overclocking)
* Excellent SID emulation
* Quit key combination for firmware v2.0 users
* Memory snapshot quickload and save
* Increased game compatibility

Follow the link below for downloads.

SmashinGit
December 23rd, 2005, 17:46
WOW! Thankyou urchin and a Happy Christmas to you.

wraggster
December 23rd, 2005, 18:19
awesome news :)

bourbon bot
December 23rd, 2005, 18:46
my first computer was a c64 (yes i am old)
loved loading games via casette prepared me well for psp umd rofl
champion effort ...do not need eye candy for a good game
made first dongle with cheap jostick and crossed over wires
made a steering wheel and pedals with old sewing machine foot control
and barbaric contacts.
c64 still rocks if not at least ripples in my fading mind

oh yeah merry xmas to all

urchin
December 23rd, 2005, 18:48
Heh, you can't be that old. C64 was my third computer :D

bourbon bot
December 23rd, 2005, 18:52
I wil not count the bbc etc
first computer for gaming (excluding space invader calculator etc)

bryceone
December 23rd, 2005, 20:00
Has anyone else tried Miner 2049'er? I was just wondering cause 1st level plays great, but on 2nd level, you can just run right through bad guys without dying. (like sprite-collision is off or something). It does make the game much easier ha-ha... but what's the fun in that?

ISOHaven
December 23rd, 2005, 21:57
Where can I find the UNEXPLOITED PBP? Can you please compile normaly for us v1.00 users and not just the kxpoit compilation?

Thanks!!!!

commander64
December 23rd, 2005, 22:00
great update on this version! But i can still not run agent-x2 *bu-huu* And the sound on ricochet is still crappy. Anyway, i love playing c64 on psp!! Thanks for making this possible.

SmashinGit
December 24th, 2005, 04:57
ISOHaven here's a v1.0 for you.

krycekg3
December 24th, 2005, 07:03
Im trying to run platoon on t64 img and it doesnt load. The emulator doesnt recognize the tape drive and wont load. Then I happen to get the d64 ver of platoon and theres 2 disks nessesary to play and i am only able to play disk 1 but cant get to load disk 2 from the game.

Please help

ISOHaven
December 24th, 2005, 07:45
Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You!

The v1.00 works great!

EDIT:
This emu is by far much better then the other now. Although I can't use the newest version of the other since no one can produce a v1.00 PBP. The source is available so I would make my own but cygwin took a crap on my machine. Anyway, I guess the addition of sound is my biggest thrill.

The only suggestion I would have is that input on the other emu was much easier and QUICKER via the mouse type feature with the arrow cursor.

Even the snapshoot feature is better as I kept bumping the LOAD button (R1) and ruinging my game with the other emu.

Thanks Again!!!

urchin
December 24th, 2005, 12:33
In the past, people have mentioned they wanted a firmware v1.0 version, but when I've messaged them to invite them to test it, they've never replied. I will make it available on the website in future.

And for 2 disk games, just go into the image selector and highlight the other D64 when it prompts you to swap disks. MagicRuss has had this working (maybe with one of the Last Ninja games)

Malatesta
December 24th, 2005, 13:26
Impressive!!! Thanks Urchin, for me is more important this than 100 gtas + 100 pes (is my second computer after a vic-20 xD )

I tested a lot of games and all works 99,99% , only a exception for me don´t work: International Karate+
The music problem of previous version in some games is fixed.

PD: anyone knows if exists a tape/disk version of cartidge "International soccer"?

urchin
December 24th, 2005, 14:33
Yeah, it's a known problem. The v0.3 c64psp core is now based on FrodoPC which unfortunately doesn't play well with IK+. It was a toss up between this and Impossible Mission and all the other games which work only on FrodoPC. IK+ is one of my favourite games though, so you can be sure I'll be doing everything possible to get it working again!

And the sound should be spot on in most games now - I spent a whole month trying to perfect it!

ISOHaven
December 24th, 2005, 22:48
In the past, people have mentioned they wanted a firmware v1.0 version, but when I've messaged them to invite them to test it, they've never replied. I will make it available on the website in future.

Thank You! Thank You! Thank You!

Feel free to email me for any testing. I wont let you down. I beta test just about anything available. Mostly Microsoft.

T-2000
December 28th, 2005, 11:46
just wondered why it wont load the "blast" compilations ? any ideas ?? thx

emul8this
December 28th, 2005, 12:07
Hello,

I got 2 spanking new emus for my beloved PSP V1.5:

the most want to try is this C64 and the Amstrad emu

I have got the complete Gamebase64 sometime ago and unzipped all the .D64 & T64 files to my memory stick. This is what I found out.

10 out of 3 games don't work, I can load the image, see the intro (hack team) then nothing will play or I press the space / [ ] button but cannot advance to the game...??

Would it be the files are not compatible or corrupted. Although an emu is never perfected, I still say that the images may have different headers.

BTW I've tried this c64 on Firmware 2.0 and it runs far less games than V1.5 firmware, eg R-Type will run flawlessly but on V2.0 firmware I can only see the background but cannot playanything.

urchin
December 28th, 2005, 12:10
T-2000> I've had no problem using them.

You need to look up the relevant game number on the website (for example, you want to load game number "3"). In the image selector, highlight the correct D64, but don't press autoload. Press "L" to flip back to the emulator and use the VK to type 'LOAD"3",8' and then 'RUN'.

urchin
December 28th, 2005, 12:29
emul8this> As you say, no emulator is perfect, but it sounds like you've been having a lot of bad luck with the games you've tried. What games are trying?

Hacked games with intros or trainers can cause problems, and usually finding an alternative version does the trick (MagicRuss is particularly good at hunting for other versions :)) That said, there are some games that still don't have a proper working version on c64psp. Russ is in the process of putting together a compatibility page.

As for different firmware versions, it's been thoroughly hammered on 1.5 and 2.0 over the past month, so I'm not sure what problem you're having.

Amiga
December 28th, 2005, 13:33
Ive found that sometimes you have to get the directory of the disk with LOAD"$",8 and manually type in the name of the game like on ROBOCOP, it wont load with LOAD"*",8,1

Urchin u are a god :)

urchin
December 28th, 2005, 14:12
Cheers :)

There are also some games (thing on a spring springs to mind :)) that are over a certain size and require you to use a loader (which is also on the disk image). However, you need to turn the loader's turbo mode OFF. The game still loads in a couple of seconds though.

BurnedSkin
December 29th, 2005, 08:40
Hello urchin!

First: I am german, and my english isn't very good, sorry for strange spelling.

I really love your c64-emulator, and i have much fun with Alcazar, Exploding Fist , Encounter, Friday the 13th, Zaxxon... they all run very good.

But i have problems with some games, and maybe you (or someone else) can help me or say what's the problem? Alter Ego is one of my alltime favourites, but it only loads and says "please insert disk 1 label side up" (this IS the inserted disk, so that's confusing). Zak McKraken and GemX don't load, too. These are all d64-games, and the working titles are all t64-games. Can you give me a hint what i can try to run the d64-files correctly? Or is this a known problem?

Sorry again for my english, i hope you know what i mean...

Thanks!
Marko

urchin
December 29th, 2005, 09:19
Hey marko, dein Englisch ist toll! :)

I've tried the games you listed, and I also can't get them to work. I'll take a look next week to see if I can get them running.

magicruss
December 29th, 2005, 10:02
i will also try to find you working versions of these titles.

The compatibility page is going well, but will take some time as there were ALOT of c64 titles :)

BurnedSkin
December 29th, 2005, 10:29
...there were ALOT of c64 titles

Yes, indeed!

Thanks for the fast replys! In fact, i have tried different downloaded versions of "Alter Ego", but they all have the same problem. And they all run on PC-Emulators of the c64, but they all don't run on c64psp and on pspVice. So it doesn't seem to be a Frodo-Problem (?).

Anyway, thanks for your help & care again. :)

Regards,
Marko

comankha
January 3rd, 2006, 06:30
hello urchin,
thanks for the port, the performance is quie nice! what i miss is a true drive emulation, many titles just doesn't work (fastloaders). also filerequester for images would be much better - let the users choose where to put their stuff.

urchin
January 3rd, 2006, 07:25
I tried enabling true drive emulation the other day, but then it refused to load anything! :D I'm not sure why, so I need to take a proper look when I get chance.

PieceMaker
January 3rd, 2006, 17:33
Sounds good, a c64 emulator 4 my psp. But i cant get it working. I get an error message saying can't start this game (80020130). I have downgraded my psp to version 1.50. did i miss something in the installation ?? (i copied the 2 dirs in the zip to /psp/game ) Any idea what the error message means ?

Grim_Reaper
January 3rd, 2006, 19:44
Make sure you copy the folder c64psp~% after the other c64psp folder and dont disconnect to quick this can do it too.

Grim_Reaper
January 3rd, 2006, 19:55
Urchin, thanks for porting this excellent emulator.Im having one problem with it one of my favourite games is samurai warrior, this worked well on your previous version but on this recent update the main sprite has almost disapeared all thats left is the ears :eek: .I have also noticed the same problem with a few other games involving the main sprite disapearing.Will it be possible to fix this???

urchin
January 3rd, 2006, 21:01
Yeah, there's a problem with a few games (e.g. IK+). Hopefully I can sort it in the next version.

comankha
January 3rd, 2006, 21:25
nice to hear, true drive is crucial for some (demos and fastload hacks). also i've noticed there is some frameskip set, but i couldn't notice if is it 25fps or so. do you plan to make it customizable? also what about 333 option?

urchin
January 4th, 2006, 09:15
Now the emu core seems to be running in quite a stable fashion I'm gonna be experimenting with various options. As mentioned earlier, I've not managed to get true drive emulation working properly yet. I'm also looking to get games that have stopped working since v0.2 working again :)

magicruss
January 4th, 2006, 09:21
This is all good stuff, and will help us to make the emulator better with each release.

koekie
January 23rd, 2006, 17:20
Anyone else noticed that fort apocalypse isn't working?

the game starts, but whenever you land on the fuel your heli explodes
can't fly far with an almost empty tank :)

koekie

lauflaenge
January 26th, 2006, 11:49
i just wanna say "thank you" for that really cool emulator!!

most of the games that i tried run really smooth!! this is very cool!

if you've got some time for extra features, what about this one:
a disk browser that lists the contents of a d64-image and lets you choose a PRG and loads the one selected!

TH_V1
February 4th, 2006, 11:00
Hi urchin

I've got a problem with loading up the C64 Emulator.

My version of the firmware is v2.0, I transfer the files to the psp, It displays the image and emulator in the game section. But it won't let me enter the emulator because I keep getting "corrupt data" "game won't start"

Can u help me with this.

Also where do u put ROM games specially in the emulator.

Many Thanks

TH_V1 (e-mail address: [email protected]) :)

PS1971
February 4th, 2006, 14:37
Hi, i have the same problem as TH V1. I can see the c64 image behind the c64 psp logo but when pressing start or X i get a corrupt data message. Please help!

L0RD M!XXX
February 10th, 2006, 04:06
Urchin the king! :) I downloaded and now I don't even tak umd with me :)

Q: why not CCS64 ?
- I use ccs64, for some reason this emu just die if game use fast loader or any turbo :( to bad, I hope you'll fix it up.

-----------------------------------
- X,O, ^ binding: some game use extra keys, example: command - space for bomb, raid over moscow f-7 to open the hangar door. If there is any chance to binding a key from a virtual keyboard to those buttons would be awsome

- for the file selector: make available to enter into T64 or D64 file and select the game. Personally I do remember, for the commands but with virtual keyb. is sux (since after 1-2 min. the system goes crazy and the keyb. freezing up. with 1.50 frimware)

-----------------------------------------------------------------

- In the FAQ at the site you wrote -Load "gamename",8- actually that would be -load "gamename",8,1- to make sure the load routeni starts at $0801

urchin
February 10th, 2006, 18:56
TH_V1 & PS1971> If you have v2.0 firmware, you will need to use Fanjita's Eboot Loader. I don't have a v2.0 PSP, so I can't help you with running the loader, but one of my beta testers has v2.0 and it definitely does work.

L0RD M!XXX> CCS64 does not appear to be open source. I will be looking at new features in the future and I have tried enabling 1541 emulation, but ran into problems. I will look again before the next release to see if I can get it working.

L0RD M!XXX
February 10th, 2006, 23:24
Hi,

I have PSP 1.50, use v0.3 emu. For some reason the up key has some issue (or joy1 puffer). I start the emulator and go into the image selector, after 5 sec it starts scorolling up. It happens a lot (I mean almost every time I start or reset the emulator). I figured out to stop it:

Go to file selector -> change joystick to port 1 -> go back to the screen -> use up, down, left, right for couple of times. You will see some letters (like back in time :D) aka <- , 2 . After you got thoose stupid things use the virtal keyboard and press enter. Now everithing should be ok for a while. Actually this trick is working under games to, but always.

I guess for some reason the emultor has a problem with the JOY1- registers. Like puffer thing. The only reason I think of because after you move the joy in port 1 the puffer get cleared or reseted and everything became normal.

If this thing happens only with me let me know the solutions (if there is any).
Thanks

:(((( for the ccs

:)))) C64PSP better then Vice so far! :)
-I guess you maintain the speed with skipping frames (no smoth scrool) but OK.
- SID works 100% I just love it.

DDJ
February 26th, 2006, 19:54
Hi, C64PSP is a good emulator and Urchin who ported this from Frodo made a very good work. Congrats man!

Although this I have to say that PSPVice is much better than C64PSP simply because the original VICE is a lot better than Frodo. To "casual" gamers both emulators could look the same but if you are really "into" C64 emulation you can notice many important differences in emulation accuracy.

The emulation accuracy of VICE is a lot better than the one seen in Frodo and you can notice this in many games (the game "Barbie" comes to my mind, try it and you'll notice how the sound emulation in Frodo suck compared to the one in VICE. The "speech" emulation in that game really suck in Frodo and so also in C64PSP...).

I hope to see improvements in future versions of C64PSP but the improvements shouldn't come from Urchin himself, he already did an awesome job with this, the problem is *just* Frodo itself which nowadays is not on par with the other C64 emulators out there (VICE, CCS64, etc.). If Frodo doesn't improve I doubt we'll see a better version of C64PSP...

magicruss
March 2nd, 2006, 11:35
hi guys!

i know that Urchin has spoken to the author of Frodo about future updates and it may/may not happen. The author has been busy on other projects but it is not a no. Urchin and i are still working to improve the current version as it stands but are limited to how far we can go.

I have used the new version of vice and it is good, very good and we are in contact with cristophe all the time and respect each others work.

When we started C64psp we had no idea that Vice would be ported at the time but it was good news for the psp community that they now had a choice and both emulators have different pros and cons.

We will keep you posted on further developments as and when they happen.

Cheers! and thankyou for all your support.

Magicruss

niemand0815
March 12th, 2006, 12:20
hy!

first i would like to that you for the emulator, it will give me a nice time driving with the public transport for the next months / year / ...

but i discovered 2 problems with 0.3:
i can not get seven cities of gold or agent usa to work with this emu. scog completely crashes wenn going into "new game" and gent usa boots up, but hangs on the game start screen accepting no input and giving me garbage output (chars scrolling from left to right continuously).
both roms run ok on winvice (didnt test with frodo though).

any chance on getting those 2 games fixed?

on the differences between pspvice and c64psp:
as far as i understood some games work on c64psp which dont work on pspvice and vice versa...
what are the implementation differences? maybe it would be a good idea to take the best of both emulators and combine them into a new open source project trying to be 100% (or at least 99,99999%) compatible?

referring to the number of games existing for c64:
this is a real problem... i once extracted all roms of a full-set into one directory and thus had my xp hanging 2 minutes to create the directory listing each time i went into the directory ;-) so i had to split them up.
i know i had around 1000 diskettes during my c64 time, but i never noticed that that were SO many games.

btw:
damit burnedskin sich nicht so alleine fühlt: ich spreche auch deutsch *g*

powerwis
March 17th, 2006, 17:03
Hi,

I have a few questions :

1/ Do you continue to develop this emulator ? when will come a next release ? (because i want to donate something for your efforts)
2/ What must i do when a game asks (while in play) a second disk ?
3/ How can i quit a game and return directly to the emulator (i dont want to quit the emulator and start it again) or can i load directly a game while playing another one ?

thanks for helping !!

ntollfree
March 23rd, 2006, 06:41
Help !
For some reason, if I add this directory on the PSP, it gets deleted as soon as I switch off USB mode. What am I doing wrong ?

Loving seeing the blue screen on my PSP though, even if I can't get paradroid up and running yet.

mat63634
March 24th, 2006, 16:03
I'd like to say that this is a great program. However, I'm having some problems with the controls. On some games (Ghostbusters, and Choplifter), the controls don't work. I can bring up the keyboard, and it'll accept inputs from that, but the analog or digital pads won't work. Any suggestions?

urchin
April 15th, 2006, 10:41
Hi everyone. Firstly, sorry for not replying sooner, but a new job means I've been a bit busy :)

Secondly, c64psp is still being developed. In fact, I began a complete rewrite a while ago and I am still working on when I get time. The new version should make it much easier for me to add new features.

powerwis> For the current version of c64psp, when a game asks for a second disk, you can change disks by going to the image selection screen and selecting a different image. When you return to the emulator, press a button, and the game should continue loading from the next disk.

If you want to reset the emulator whilst playing a game, press "SELECT".

ntollfree> It sounds as though the data is not being written to the memorystick properly. Depending on your operating system, you may need to right click on your USB drive icon and select something like "eject" to finish writing the data before you can unplug it.

mat63634> It sounds like these games may require you to use the other joystick port. Whilst in the image selection screen, try pressing "TRIANGLE" to toggle which joystick port to use (the current port is displayed at the top the screen)

wraggster
April 15th, 2006, 11:28
going to move this to the PSP Emulation forum

April 16th, 2006, 11:54
what is hombrew how does it work . how do u use it . how do u get it on on r psp

brcu
April 30th, 2006, 16:54
Hi everyone. Firstly, sorry for not replying sooner, but a new job means I've been a bit busy :)

Secondly, c64psp is still being developed. In fact, I began a complete rewrite a while ago and I am still working on when I get time. The new version should make it much easier for me to add new features.

Excellent news. Thanks for your hard work Urchin, I can't want to play on the updated version.

btw i will donate to your paypal once the new version is out

niemand0815
May 1st, 2006, 10:59
hy urchin,
thats indeed good news.
i still have hope to play 7cities of gold on my psp someday (hopefully before i have to update beyond homebrew compatibility....).