PDA

View Full Version : Neo4All suggestions to Chui Continued

syker
December 24th, 2005, 03:52
Ok, after using Neo4all for a bit and searching around these forums, I do have a few features I'd like to see in future iterations of Neo4all.

1. This has been said before, but I'd like to add my vote to it. Button configuration. Button A on a Dreamcast controller != to Button A on a NeoCD Pad. I dropped like 80 bucks on Neo Geo Pads and converters only to find that Neo4all incorrectly maps the buttons. Correct Button Mapping should be:

Dreamcast | Neo Geo
X | A
Y | B
A | C
B | D

2. An emu configuration file. Either a text file for defaults, or save the info on the VMU, I could care less how it's done. I'd like to throw in a game and just start as easy as possible without fiddling with the settings every time. Pulstar is unbeatable/unplayable with frame skipping on (the default) and it's supposed to have slow down (or at least it does while playing it on a real Neo Geo CD). Same goes for button mapping. Setting the controls properly every time I play a game is an extra hassle. If you add configurable button mapping, please allow us to save our default settings.

3. Self booting Neo Cd Games with CD audio tracks. I was looking all over the place to find a way to do this only to discover that Chui has run into the same problem himself. If the author can't figure out how to burn a proper self booting disc, I don't think the rest of us will have much luck. How about modifying the emu so it can read the audio tracks as wav/aiff files from the data partition instead of forcing us to burn the games as mixed mode audio cds? I have found absolutely no way to make a mixed mode disc that maintains the dreamcast header info for boot up. We either create a self boot game without music, or disc swap. Can this be fixed?

Great work Chui and Fox!! This is a great way for me to play all my fav NeoCD games as they were meant to be, without the hideous load times. Your work is very much appreciated!

quzar
December 24th, 2005, 08:58
There is no secret to selfbooting at all. the problem is that it's illegal.

syker
December 24th, 2005, 10:29
You are mistaken on this matter, but I don't feel like arguing semantics or legal points of reference in this forum. If you wish to understand the GPL better I'd be happy to help, but can we keep this thread on topic?

Dull Blade
December 25th, 2005, 03:15
Hello guys. I must be the biggest samurai showdown fan out their or one of the biggest. so here's my suggestion, give Samurai showdown 1 & 2 sound again. It disapeared on beta 3 so I've been forced to use beta 2 :mad: (inorder to get the best quality play), so for beta 5 I suggest the restoration Samurai showdown 1 & 2 sound again please. or what ever release comes next (beta 4 version 2 maybe?).

quzar
December 25th, 2005, 12:42
You are mistaken on this matter, but I don't feel like arguing semantics or legal points of reference in this forum. If you wish to understand the GPL better I'd be happy to help, but can we keep this thread on topic?

Although the author's wording can be interpreted in multiple ways, my interpretation of the secondary conditions he placed (on top of) the GPL license for the use of the emulator were for the game and emulator not to be on the same media. This is why it doesn't support iso, or any other CD image format. It's not a matter of the gpl, it's a matter of what is basically an eula which is transferred to derivative works.

syker
December 25th, 2005, 20:49
EULA agreements have not proven to be legally binding. They are more like strongly enforced suggestions. You can't take legal action with EULAs. You can only cover yourself with counter actions. For example, a EULA would allow you to ban a cheater without that cheater suing you for altering the terms. One thing a EULA cannot do, even though several software vendors try, is set legally binding terms of use. You can state terms, but they cannot be defended under Tort guidelines. Fair use agreements take precedence nulling the effect, which is why they end up being more like suggestions. EULAs don't have authority in this matter.

Way off topic again though. It can be done, it should be done, and it is in no way illegal. It may be against NeoCD/SDL author's wishes, but since he is not active in development, his EULA is not active. They don't operate under the same legal benefits as licenses.

Okay, back to suggestions please?

quzar
December 25th, 2005, 21:41
Very interesting and informative. I was simply under the impression that it was unprooven grounds, not that eulas were prooven to not be binding.

DCDayDreamer
December 26th, 2005, 13:32
As usual, anything you do for your own use nobody would know about it unless you make it public via a forum post, readme, download etc. it doesn't matter how deep you go into GPL or any other license. The simple fact is if you put the emu and game on the same media as selfboot - it's illegal (the emu author knows that), it can be done, it has been done, but posting requests or guides is warez around here (and most other places). There would be a way of course to be legal - if you had the emu, a homebrew game, and a reverse engineered 'public' version of the bios (then you'd just replace the homebrew game for a 'rip' for your own use, the legalities of that open a new door which I'm leaving closed).

Back on topic - Button configuration gets my vote too!

MasterMan
December 26th, 2005, 16:26
Just pressing L to open menu is a pain to me, it keeps me of using Neo4All. I have big hands and press it all the time acidentaly.
A combo nwould be better, L+R, L+START, whatever.

Key remaping with VMU saving configs would rock also.

And, ehh... Super 2xSai instead of Bilinear??