PDA

View Full Version : [DC] rj11 -> rj45

nenn
December 25th, 2005, 09:16
everyone talks about buying a bbw or a lan adaptor, but im thinking i could modify the existing rj11 they have built in to be a rj45, it has two pins sitting there unused that i belive are connected to something, but cant verify, anyone know anything about this, just soliding those two pins up and bam, ethernet adaptor, any ideas, suggestions, pinouts of anything would be great, thanks :)

ptr.exe
December 25th, 2005, 12:44
That will never work.

You cant simply adapt RJ11 to RJ45, the pins arent compatible its not simply a differant type of connection.

Even if you did the modem has a much slower speed than the official LAN or BB adapter.

If you wanted to build your own ethernet adapter, it is possible but you'd need to know alot, your best bet would be to try to reverse engineer the official ones, its not an easy task, others have tried before and gotten it working but the expense and effort of making it could of easily covered the excessive cost of buying a bb adapter.

nenn
December 26th, 2005, 05:27
are there any schematics available to make this chip? its hard to find a bbw or a lan adaptor for a decent price. so any help would be greatly appericated. :D

ptr.exe
December 26th, 2005, 13:43
Make? its not that, you'd probably need to code the chip. I think the main chip used in a bba adapter isnt a generic one, it was custom made for DC so it wont be available outside of a bba.

If you want schematics of the DC bba, you may be able to find them somewhere on the net, but ive never seen any. If you find out what chips were used in the bba, you could go to the manufacturers site to find info/patents/shcematics that may be useful in reverse engineering.

Why do you want to build this? do you want to get online with the DC, or do you want to connect your DC to your PC at a better speed than the coders cable?

nenn
December 26th, 2005, 22:54
getting online i guess, its something for me to do, to keep me occupied.