PDA

View Full Version : Will Version Changer work for UMD movies?

Gizzy98
December 26th, 2005, 16:22
Hi all,

Hope u all had a great christmas.

Ive got a V 1.5 Jap PSP but got a UMD which wants version 1.52, is there anyway around this without having to upgrade my PSP Firmware?

Is there a version changer I can use?

Thanks in advance

wingz
December 27th, 2005, 03:24
you can try Wab Version Changer V2.5 which will trick the UMD to think that your psp is 1.52 or higher.

Gizzy98
December 28th, 2005, 15:58
Excellent thx m8, will try it.

YourStillWithMe
December 28th, 2005, 16:02
You have a UMD MOVIE that wants you to upgrade!!!!?

I havent come across that yet.

J Storm
December 29th, 2005, 23:43
You have a UMD MOVIE that wants you to upgrade!!!!?

I havent come across that yet.

Yeah, I just got Bouncy: Virtual Lap Dances vol. #1 and it wants you to upgrade to version 2.00. I tried using the umd emulator v0.8c but I still can't get it to play. Is there any way around it besides using the Wab changer 2.5?

YourStillWithMe
December 30th, 2005, 07:02
I've been using version changers forever man i love them so yeah and the WAB version changer is old news buddy. . . theres other versionc hangers one has your system think its a 7.50 psp (non existent) and than theres one for the 2.00 that has it to believe its a 2.50 so you won't lose your 2.00 homebrew use the sonyxteam one go to sonyxteam.com and look for it it should be on the right

SoCal
December 30th, 2005, 16:07
Problem is that 2.0 firmware has different video and audio codecs so any UMD that was made with these codecs will require a firmware upgrade to at least 2.0 in order to play them. So while the version changer may work on some movies no version changer will work on these type of UMD movies that require 2.0 firmware.

flaming_carrot
December 30th, 2005, 18:33
Versions changers won't work for UMD movies that wants to update because there is a deeper reason for upgrade than merely wanting a higher version. I don't know about 2.00 codecs, I haven't come across such a disc but many new discs require 1.52 upgrade. I kind of doubt they encode with different codecs but I honestly don't know about that. The reason for 1.52 update is because something in the filesystem changed, I don't know why. But on 1.5 using the standard read commands only show a stub of the disc, and no video files are visible on such UMDs. I've tried Donnie Darko and Kill Bill myself and I think all newer discs require updates. Perhaps Sony did because it's possible to dump the movies on 1.5 so they wanted increase security, but I kind of doubt that...
Anyway, it is annoying and I'm trying to find a way around it myself (geez, and I thought my days of console hacking was over although it's kind of fun looking at MIPS assembly again...Ahh the memories...)

YourStillWithMe
January 1st, 2006, 19:08
They require a 1.52 update for the MUSIC umd's because they are played under the MUSIC file and not under the VIDEO section. It only plays under MUSIC and 1.50 does not support that. I got the Pink Floyd-Behidn the Darkside Of The Moon or whatever (best band ever) and it doesnt work but at least i can play it on my 2.00 :)

peace